Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
Overtons is running a special on a Typhoon Tower w/ built-in racks for $1300. Go to Overtons and do a search on "typhoon". Has anyone had experience with this tower mfg? It is a small company, Cook Mfg, but this could work for me. I also like MonsterTower, but am afraid it won't work with my bimini. I am definitely going with an aftermarket universal tower. I'm not going to go up to the $2K level plus $500 for racks, etc. This tower looks OK, but I need to know if it squeaks, rattles, sways, etc. Let me know if you have one, or have ridden behind one. Thanks
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-12-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
I would go with the Monster Tower. Talk to Bill he has bimini's that match their towers also. I'm guessing both would be about the same as the Overtons tower. Good Luck.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-12-2003, 7:41 PM Reply   
Thank you Wake Products for the Plug!

I know to much Richard but I will share anyways.

Typhoon is built by CMC (Cook Manufacturing) which is owned by a holding company called Marine Accessories Corp (MAC). They make Jack Plates for outboards which I have owned and was very happy with, which is where they came from.

Last year Overtons carried the "Extreme Tower" that was made by Extreme Marine in TN. Extreme is also owned by MAC and they make the OEM Towers for MasterCraft, Supra, Moomba and others.

I heard Extreme stopped making the Extreme Tower but since Overtons is still selling them they either have stock to move or Extreme is still making that tower.

The Typhoon looks pretty good but I have not heard anything about it so I'd love to hear from owners. I'd love to see a better picture of the racks that are built in. Seach the archives for posts on the Extreme as anything I say would be questionable. I have never seen any mention of the Typhoon but their may be something in the archives.

As for Monster Tower, we are a bunch of High Tech RedNeck's here in Georgia that have been making "stuff" out of aluminum for many year that started out building towers for our boats and friends boat and we almost look like a real company now (except for everyone wearing board shorts & sandles to work, and beer in the fridge)

Call if you need any more industry dumping,

Bill
www.MonsterTower.com
877-77-Tower
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-12-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
I don't have any experience with either of them but I can say that the Monster Tower looks like a much sturdier design than the sliding plates and telescoping legs of the Typhoon.

Are you sure the Typhoon would work with your bimini anyway?