Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-05-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   

another video

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG GUYS?? I can't seem to stay surfing when I let go of the rope.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-05-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
You need more weight to create a surfable wake. The speed is all over the place. A steady speed will help as well. Add as much weight in he back corner that you are surfing on and hold the speed between 9.5 and 10.5 if possible. If you can tell us what boat you are behind there might be more specific weighting information.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
More weight would help but the right board works for smaller wakes. Is that the small Inland Surfer Skim board? A bigger board would help. You want your weight on the balls of your feet not the heels. Try moving your toes near to the edge of the board.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-05-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
2001 Tige 20i and u r right I had no weight really... just about 500 pounds in gear and people... but it was all on one side.... how much weight do I need? I would hate to have to take up floor space with a huge sac
Old     (texasmoombav)      Join Date: May 2009       06-05-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
Definitly more weight on the side that you are surfing. I have a 20ft boat and have 1000lbs in the corner and 800lbs in pop bags under the seats.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-05-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
i would think min 1,000bls on surf side (500-750lbs in back locker and 500lbs on port seat). I think Show is right as well, you are going to need a board that is better at surfing a smaller wake. Good Luck.

FYI - I run just over 2,500lbs in my Avy, but it has a very deep hull and can easily carry that kind of weight.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
If weight is a problem the just get a bigger board
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-05-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
With that boat you're gonna lose some floor/seat/storage space to get a good wake...sorry. I run almost 3000lbs of ballast and people.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
No, you don't need 3,000 pounds to wake surf, specially not is a 20 foot boat, that would be unsafe. Not everyone has a 24 foot Enzo, 24 foot Tige', 23 foot Malibu LSV, add your favorite surf barge to this list. Some people just want to give it a try and mix up their other wake sports.

When I bought my Enzo I first surfed it with just the stock midship Ballast tank on an Inland Surfer Red Tide. Of course the Enzo wake is very good but with just stock not huge. It was very easy to surf with the Red Tide on a small wake. On another occasion I loaned my Red Tide to a couple that were having trouble surfing behind a CC 2001. The 2001 is a small b oat to be sure. They were trying to surf with a Broadcast 5.6 but just couldn’t do it. They had no trouble with the Red Tide. There are other big boards out there that can do the job. The Red Tide is a quality board and a safe bet.

Either get more weight or the right board for the rider and wake.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-05-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
More weight and get the speed set up right. basically what everyone else is doing. Check out tigeowners.com too
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-05-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
Not sure if you have perfect pass, but if you don't, it would be a very good idea to get it. Really helps dialing in the surf speed.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-05-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
You can add more weight or find fatter friends.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-06-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
Show is correct!
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-07-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
I am definitely just a beginner but here are a couple of tips from things that worked for me, a guy who just taught himself how to freeride this year. First, I do totally agree with everyone that you need a bigger wake but the fact is until you get one you're going to want to try to surf with what you have. I would slow the boat down, we surf at 10.8. What we did was weighted the boat the way we wanted (with what we had) and then just started driving at different speeds until we found the one that we thought gave us the best wake. The next thing that I found that worked for me was if you will move a little closer and a litlle more into the center of the wake. I think this may help a little. Finally once you get into that spot, I would put a little more weight on my front foot, bend my knees more, hold the rope with my front hand, and try to stick my back hand in the water. This kept me a little more balanced and going "into the wake" so to speak. These guys are all way more experienced at this than me but that's what has worked for this beginner. By- the-way, you'll love it once you get there. I'm totally hooked on surfing now, definitely my fav thing to do. Good luck.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-07-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
I better not need a new board because I just bought this one from IS and I went thru their board selector and it says for a beginner 200-250# and small wake Blue Lake and The Squirt are the boards for it along with the woody (i think).
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-09-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
I think it is pretty clear that you need more weight. Look into some used fat sacs or buy new. Place them on the side that you are going to surf on. When driving have a slight turn on the side that you are surfing on. The Blue Lake is a great beginner board BTW.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-09-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
I watched the video and think I found what you are doing wrong....you are surfing on the wrong side of the boat. DARKSIDE hi-jack!
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
anyways... i am looking at buying a jumbo vdrive fly high sac... holds 1100#s but I don't know if I will need all of that but it should at least weight the boat down and get me a good wake... I know Larry Mann uses my boat to surf and he said it can have a really good surf wave so at least I got some potential to work with
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
don't forget to pump that board when you start to fall out !
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Pete, small wake, but it's workable.

First off, the Inland Surfer Squirt that you have is a good board for you. It's not the board. Take off one of the fins and move the other to the center position.

Boat driver is going too fast. Speed should be 9-10mph and no faster. Have the driver drive in a big counter clockwise circle, about 100 yards in diameter.

Shorten your rope 2-3 feet and hang on with your left hand. Use your right arm for balance and get into that sqatted surfing position. Face the wake squarely and look down at it.

The sweet spot is not at the top of the wake or at the bottom. It's in the middle. So go there. You're riding more at the bottom. Follow this middle wake as you go forward and back. That means you'll get colser to the centerline of the boat as you get closer to it and further from the centerline as you fall back. The wave doesn't go straight back from the boat.

Your foot position looks good. Lean on your left leg. As soon as you go forward, lean on your right. As soon as you start going back, lean back on your left. Concentrate hard until the rope is completely slack for a while.

When you finally have constant slack, toss the rope to the other side of the boat wake. Don't throw it into the boat because it'll make you fall back (for every action......)

I hope this helps. I can hook you up with fat sacs too. Just send me a PM.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
Your spelling "Worng" Wrong.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-12-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
when you say pumping... see I don't knwo how to do that... do I jsut lean back and forth or do I push down on the board like an ollie
Old     (Lohe)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-12-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
What Tuneman said. Your wake is a little small I have a 98 tige 21i And I put a sac under the back seat and one in the rear locker. I also ride the other side of the boat and have a flyhigh captain chair that fills with 250lbs and have some one sit on it. to get more weight on the side I am surfing. We have perfect pass and hold the speed around 10-11mph. Also looks like you are riding more out in the flats/lower sections of the wave get more into the middle.