Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (easttexasboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
I`m sure some boat owners can chime in on this. You guys that don`t own boats and get pulls should read this. If someone takes you out offer to help clean up and offer some gas money, even if its just a little bit. These guys giving you pulls have to pull the boat all the way to the lake, the expense of oil and other expenses. Now i know that is part of owning a boat but i`m tired of people high tailing it as soon as we hit dry land. I sometimes won`t even take gas money but if nothing else you can help clean up. Just wanna write this to make sure you don`t wear out your welcome mat if you don`t realize this. Sorry Rant over.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-30-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
wow, D-bag move right there. was he a random or a friend?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-30-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
Roger, it took a while to train my friends in this, and it wasn't something I could obviously do without losing friends over a big misunderstanding. I didn't NEED them to give me money, nor did I harbor any ill-sentiment towards them because they didn't give me any, they just didn't understand how cost-intensive boating was. They'd call and ask about the lake and I'd say something along the lines of, "Ah, I don't know man, it's on E and it costs more than my boat payment to fill it up, not sure if I'm going to go this weekend or not."

These were things that were brought up on their own volition later, and eventually they started chipping in. I was that guy once, and I hadn't always been the best at chipping in. It was never intentional, and I knew I'd need to chip in, I'd just forget to go to the ATM before going to the lake (who keeps cash anymore?).
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-30-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
Agreed Roger! If they pull a ride & run, they better have a good reason and drop some extra gas money to make up for it. Otherwise, they don't get invited back.
Old     (easttexasboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
Random thats why i`m posting this if you haven`t owned a boat or had to maintain a boat you may not realize. Its not that i`m mad (maybe annoyed lol). I just want to educate others on this b/c owners and riders need each other to go out. But the owner is doing his part getting riders out there so riders need to make sure they can help just a little. I ended up cleaning up wiping down and straping the boat for 30 mins and would`ve only taken like 10 mins if i had help. I have had people go out and help and as an owner thats helps out a great deal.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       08-30-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
sounds like you need some new friends.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-30-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
For me I would rather clean the boat my self. I will accept gas money sometimes but not all the time. If I invite you I expect nothing. You call me and say hey lets take the boat out you better have some $$. Cleaning it my self and with the wife it's done the way I want it. People offering money and or help is great. It shows they appreciate you taking them out.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-30-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Aaron, If I invite you don't worry about gas, if you ask me to bring it out you better have gas money, hot girls and beer! As for cleaning, I expect you to pick up your garbage and throw it out but I'd rather do a good cleaning the way I want at my leisure but the sentiment of asking is definatly not over rated.

Its sad more people don't offer gas money. Its the least they can do! After all I had to buy the boat and maintain the boat, get it to the lake. Plus theres those costs they don't see like paying the insurance and property taxes. I think the next mod on the boat is going to be a taxi meter! lol
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
I'd rather clean myself too, for me its almost as fun as riding! Gas money must have tho....
Old     (easttexasboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
lol notice only boat owners have posted. yeah i don`t mind cleaning myself but when we hit the bank they disappeared fast.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-30-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
For me, if you ride, you chip in for gas even if I invited you. That's because most of the people I ride with are boat owners themselves and understand the financial side of ownership. And for the guys/girls that don't have their own boat know that it's etiquette to pay for their pulls.

If you're just hanging out on the boat to chill without riding, then you don't pay.

I like to clean my boat a certain way too, but I do the detail stuff after I get home. Right after the boat comes out of the water, it's nice to have help wiping her down.
Old     (skinny99)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-30-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
I never have cash so I usually fill my buddies boats about every third trip out,I can use my card:-) Also bring beer,best choice would be what the boat owner drinks. Two out of the three boats I ride behind the guys are both super anal about cleaning so they don't want to help anyhow! Also one more thing is help them load and unload the boat,don't show up late and leave early!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Much agreed.

Lucky for me I have a stellar crew. From start of the day to finish, we can do everything without even mentioning a word.
Old     (adam)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-30-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
Luckily, im fortunate enough to have friends who ALWAYS pitch in, and ALWAYS help clean... I dont have to say anything and they do it..

Then they pitch in for the drinks, and bring food.. and they wont let me buy anything or do anything because "You brought the boat man" haha They are great!
Old     (easttexasboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
Todd the last thing you said there is important also. I have had guys come out that were the third and ended my day early b/c they were ready to leave. They got there ride and they were done. I was mad about that. Glad to see i`m not the only one this annoys.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-30-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
Man, I've sat in the same part of the lake waiting for over 45 minutes before. I normally don't mind as long as the beer is cold on the weekend, but when we get out there early to go ride the butter you better show up on time, otherwise the fishermen take over.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-30-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
I don't ask for gas money, but if its offered, I take it.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-30-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
I believe in karma...since I don't have a boat, I offer to clean and pay for gas $$. Hopefully, when I get my boat, the same will happen to me.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-30-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
just a little story about how its supposed to go down, on monday i got rocked pretty good in my set. seperated a couple ribs and saw stars for a minute. i could barley breath let alone get my boat out of the water. so my crew that day, jenna and josh you guys rock!!! put my boat away, cleaned it to my standard then helped get my broke a-- home. without asking. i was so stoked watching this all go down it was like pain relief, lol. a good crew = a good day.
Old     (jreed_blacker)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
I typically won't take gas money either. But the guys i go with make sure everything else is taken care of. They bring the drinks and snacks and are more that willing to help load and unload. I usually clean the inside while they wipe down the outside.

Those that don't bring something to the party, either offer up gas money or don't get invited back.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-30-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
Maybe i'm just an butthole, but i want to punch the people in the face who wont give gas money but decide to bring "food" aka

DORITOS

Nothing like soggy gross orange tortillas on everything.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-30-2009, 11:01 PM Reply   
A guy in my normal crew (rides with me 4-5 times a week) brought a friend of his that I had never met before to ride a couple of weeks ago. He asked first so no worries on that. Instead of bringin gas money he showed up with two 5 gal cans of gas. This is a VERY acceptable alternative in my book and he was immediately on my good side. Even though it was already full when we got back we just put em in for next time. I don't let guys who ride their first time with me pay, so basically he put it in the boat afterwards and it went for next time he wants to ride with us (which he was a good guy and ended up being a part of our normal crew now). IMO it'd be better to bring a 5gal can full than 10 bucks considering it's like 13 to fill the can! Plus if you are out for a long day you can always go back and drop that gas in rather than having to pay for gas on the water! (which reminds me, really really need to get that 600 gal tank filled in the boathouse! After having that I'm spoiled and hate the little cans!)
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-31-2009, 2:02 AM Reply   
The way I've always seen it is, if my friends don't go out with us (Family) then we don't go out. If someone wants to give me money, I'll always be take it, but I deffinately don't expect it.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-31-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
between my buddies and I, we have 4 boats. No matter who's boat goes to the water, we always pitch in for gas and cleanup. We do not expect it, gas money, but it is always nice. The cleaning, on the other hand, is a must. When the boat is in the cleanup section, we pull out the cleaning bucket. we all have enough bottles, with a cleaning product to clean the boat. The kids get the frame and rims, the adults gets the out side and pulls the plug, to drain the water. Two people in the boat to drop the bimini, clean the seats, gather the trash, and gather all personal items. In regards to the trash, someone always gets a bag or bags to put in the boat. Nothing worse than trash in the boat. If everyone works together, The boat get clean, and it is ready for the next trip.

I agree with Sippi. bringing cans of gas is just like giving gas money for the ride.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-31-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
As long as they did not siphon the gas out of your tow rig!
Old     (justbecause)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-31-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
there are always going to be the people that take advantage of anyone that owns something like a boat.. i usually try to pitch in for enough money for my set(s) plus the boat owners set(s) and also taking into account how far he had to tow the boat or how much gas is used if there the ramp is a 10 minute drive from the smooth water. seldom do i ever leave the water without throwing in 30-40 in gas plus bringing beer and an extra junk towel to help clean up.. (there is nothing worse than getting that vinegar/water stuff on your good towel.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-31-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
I must be pretty lucky. I invite a lot of my friends and my son has also invited his friends. They always offer to give me gas money or help clean. I like to clean the boat myself then I know it is done right. My son and I have a routine. When we prep to launch or clean, my son does all the interior and I handle the exterior. That way everything gets done and nothing gets forgotten. As for bringing friends I let them know it is OK to eat and drink in the boat and I show them where the trash can is and tell them to cleanup after themselves.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Agreed! Gas money for my boat please. I will clean it myself so I will know that it is done right. My wife is anal about the interior being clean and hates it when people bring cheesey chips or colored drinks.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-01-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
I can count on one hand the amount of times friends have offered gas money. They always help load and unload, clean up, flush motor, etc. my one buddy is usually pretty good about bringing food, usually he'll grab some gatorade and hoagies so we have lunch with us.

One time I was with two people (their first time out) and they met at home and rode over in the truck. I pull up, late at night and cars on both sides of street. Let 'em out and ask to guide me into the driveway. Well both disappeared into the garage, one on the phone the other with a beer. I started backing up and got just about in but needed to know what was going on 40' behind me since I couldn't see a thing past cars/trees/darkness. Hollaring and no one around. I was pretty pissed, but they figured it out quick.

Seems no one gets the hint about gas... I mean, if you ride to the ramp with me and see 80 gallons go into the truck and boat... Isn't there a point when you might think that has to add up?

I don't make an issue of it though, as I'm always the one looking for a driver and a third. When you're at the mercy of those without a boat to drive yours or be your third, you just pay the gas and be glad you got to spend the day on the water. Of course finding a third to go out at 7-8 AM is impossible, but such is life.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-01-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Our regular crew treats our boat as their own. Including but not limited to, pre-launch prep, gas up & money (not always taken) beer and ice in the cooler, snacks. Help docking getting out bumpers & rope, Extra care taken when tied up at the beach. Then when it's time to pull out we each have a job, the trailer gett'r, the boat driver, the garbage person, 2 to 3 on wipe down.

It's always a great trip out and we are luckly to have such great friends that understand and are always willing to pitch in.

This is a normal senario, but on big weekends things are a little different, but I understand why. On the major holidays we bring along people that spend very little time in boats and have no idea what it takes to keep things up. We don't get mad because we invite them everytime knowing that they are not going to get on the ball with the boat duties. For the most part they understand the basic rule of boating "when the captin says something, you do it, no questions no comments"
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-01-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
^^johnny that's a great quote. I think I'm gonna have it stiched on my seats.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-01-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
My crew is great. They always bring plenty of cold drinks for myself and the wifey, they help unload and load, as well as clean up trash and wipe down when done. I never ask for gas money, and they always offer to help out with it, so its perfect. I am always good for having someone out, just don't bitch when your beer is gone and my kids ate the last of your snacks.
Old    murphy8166            09-01-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Roger - why aren't you telling this to the jerks that are doing this to you?

I understand that the forum allows you to vent your frusturation, man-up and tell em personally how you feel.
Old     (easttexasboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-01-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
well i don`t think they realize. I will tell them next time in a polite way. At the same its hard to find people here to go out with so its kind of something you have to deal with i guess. Thats why i posted this so others that get pulls would realize.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-01-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
roger....just give it to 'em like it is. i know if i was effin up and didnt know it i'd like someone to tell me instead of having a friend of mine come onto a forum and tell the world how big of a schlep i am cuz i dont know any better...

keep in mind that people only know what they're taught. me personally i'll detail you're boat instead of pay you some gas money cuz i'm broke as hell right now.
Old     (easttexasboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-01-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
lol that wasn`t the point to come on here and bash them, more of an education for others.
Old     (easttexasboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-01-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
For the record the guy that was with me and left me after we got out of the water saturday was the first time he rode with me, and i was tending to my 2 year old so i didn`t get a chance to talk to him. He was a really nice guy and after i tell him what i need if he will help me clean up and what not he will be welcome anytime. When it happened i got he idea to make this thread so others will know how boat owners feel and what they may expect. I would say when you get a pull ask what you need to do so you will also be welcome.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-01-2009, 11:15 PM Reply   
Is there a mutual understanding among boat owners? What I mean by that is... if I (a boat owner) go out on my friend's boat, should I offer to pay for some gas?

My thought is NO. Because next time out he'll be on my boat, where I won't collect gas money either.
Old     (nate01)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-01-2009, 11:48 PM Reply   
i just tally up cost of gas to get to the spot and gas to fill boat then divide by number of people in the boat. ussually ends up being 10.00 per person.
Old     (adam)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-01-2009, 11:53 PM Reply   
The way I see it, is... i cant really go to the lake by myself and have a good time, so why am i gonna charge people to keep me company?

for the most part i wont take gas money because if they didnt come along, i would be out there burning the gas myself.. i think its kinda dumb... like u get a pool and expect the people who swim in it to give u money for the electric bill... lol

now cleaing is a different story..
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-02-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
I'm with AP on this. I can't go boarding by myself. I don't ask people for gas money and don't accept it, though sometimes they insist and stuff some money in the glove box. Sometimes they will bring a couple of cans, which is not expected but appreciated. I try to take good care of my crew and in return they are dependable and help with the boat any time I need it. They also help wipe it down.

Having a crew makes boarding possible. Having a great crew makes it so much more enjoyable.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-02-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
I got to get gas money to keep my marriage. My wifee almost never goes on the boat, but one of the first thing she asks me when I get to the house is if I got gas money and it burns her which in turn makes my life rougher if I go through $60 gas in a day and had to foot the whole thing.

Expectations really depend on who is riding though. If it is non-wakeboarding friends, my wifes friends, family, or co-workers and we are recreating with a little wakeboarding, I (we) don't expect gas or help with the boat, kind of like I wouldn't expect them to pay for a dinner cooked at our house. Now for wakeboarding crews that are there to ride, I expect some donero for gas and might ask for a little help when I'm done for the day, but the help is pretty light stuff, help unload or a quick wipe that might take 5 or 10 minutes tops. I'll do all the heavy stuff, final cleaning, organizing, and covering which I would rather do anyway.
Old     (jmattnc80)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-02-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
I always tell my friends that I don't care who comes as long as they bring their own food, drinks and gas money. My brother always goes with us, and is the first to offer gas money. Not only does he give me $$ everytime, but he offers it where its obvious to everyone, thus they get the hint. He is always the first one to offer to load the boat, back the truck, clean the boat etc. Even in the off season he offers to help do whatever I need help doing to the boat to get ready. Its all about how you suggest it, even though I have thought of getting a sticker made for my window that says, "This boat runs on gas, not thanks or I had a good time." My friends understand and don't mind throwing in $$. They understand its not only the gas, its the insurance, registration, upkeep, and my time that is put into fun on the water. My brother is the example guest. Even when he invites his friends, if they don't give gas money, he gives it for them.

Great to have a good brother!
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-02-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Bmartin I totaly here you same with my gfirnd. she asks if people chip in. I just say yes lol. But I do have a friend who everytime we pull out goes to buy us ice cream instead of helping clean. Its a nice gesture but really. just help clean I got a long ride home and I still gotta put the boat away. My rule is if you ride you pay if you chill you don't. First time I don't ask you to pay but I always give you the book disc one to watch to get a idea about how to act on someones boat.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-02-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
What Drives me nuts the most is that "guy" who is always the one that hints at taken him riding... He is never the one to be like Lets go out in the boat.. He is the type of guy who is like yo i havent slayshed in so long... .Then after you invite him down he shows up with his board, No money, No Jerry can, Jumps in my fully loaded x2 (3700 lbs) and bitches about how bad the wake sucks... Then after he complains we get to the dock and he just peaces out with his g.f.... then he shows up 3 days later wanting to ride again.... D-BAG!
Old     (easttexasboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-02-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
wow did that really happen to you dave?
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-02-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Reminds me of the 60's slogan: Gas, grass, or ass, no one rides for free.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-03-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
I always offer gas money and to clean...also to set up (fill ballast, back truck into the water etc.) Usually I get declined but i am always willing to help out. It just seems like the right thing to do.
Old     (cjsacm1yahoocom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-03-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
i dont own a fantsy boat...its just an old i/o that we are just starting to learn the basics on, its basically my roommates and my boat together. Both have equal man hours and money to get it running. After we get off the water its really not an issue even if we have friends out with us, everyone is there helping put everything away and strap everything down. NOw gas different story we us maybe 8 gallons in a whole day...now i told you its a old 4cyl i/o that we are learning the basics on...so gas really is no big deal. I think the tahoe uses more gas then the boat. But to your subject...i went on this forum found a guy looking for a third. He was new to boating bought a 2010 MB Wide body, excellent boat but he was 4 hours late, yes i said it four hours. Called me a 630am said be ready in a hour, didnt show until 1130am. We launched the boat he brought his dog, wife, and 6mo old baby. We went out for an hour and his wife was done. I got three runs and im not the best so im up for a couple mins and fall so that gives you an idea of how long we wakeboarded. I loaded his boat for him and still cleaned never complained, but never went out with him again. I just think people need to realize yourself, your going out on amazing boats, at least you could do is help at something. you should never have to expect it, it should always be there. Picture included of the $400 boat we are learning with Upload
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-03-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
I’m not going to bitch too much here because I have quite a few riders that offer up money and help. I do take the money to keep this sport affordable to me. I can’t imagine if I had to foot the entire gas bill for the summer, although I do feel like a tool taking it sometimes.

It seems like all of the owners are in the same boat here. They’re willing to take people out and foot the entire bill; boat down payment, sales tax, monthly payment, depreciation, maintenance costs, upgrades like sacks, insurance, dock fees, storage fees, and the detailing. There willing to pay for all this just so they can get another person to go out with. Also they need to get someone to drive for the owner and give a good pull so the owner can get a good set in. I understand it because I do it as well. It just seems unfair some times. All us boat owners should get together to ride with each other and leave the others on there own. I have a few different people that are boat owners that I ride with and everyone in that group does a great job cleaning and offering up gas $$. The next time when there on their boat they know what it’s all about.

If there are those who come out and don’t offer up any help or gas money then they are the last on my list when I need another 3rd. Sometimes they never get invited back because I have 5 people on the list in front of them that want to ride and understand the boat protocol.

I wrote a lot of this, like others have done here, for the riders that are looking for a pull. So they can see what’s on the line here.