Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (dgunthert)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
Proud new owner of a 97 ProStar here.

I'll be the first to admit that I know almost nothing about audio, so I've been reading as much as I can.

It seems the best place to start is with speakers and then work backwards to power them.

There's already a decent set up with Polk separates around the interior, so I'm looking at the tower. I've been considering a DIY project similar to this:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/241023.html

I can't even find the Crossfire horn they used in the actual project, but I like the schematic at the bottom of the post. Eminence speakers are pretty affordable, so I'm thinking about this:
4 8" Eminence Beta-8A's and 2 Eminence PSD2002/LT-250's in a similar enclosure.

I would skip the down-facing speakers in the enclosure that was pictured. Thoughts on this?

BTW, if someone has pics of that project completed, I'd love to see them!
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-30-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
Whatever happened with that project? I'd love to see the finished product.

The eminence speakers will definitely do the job. I'm using them on my DIY setup.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-30-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
I'm guessing it got lost in all the piles of LED projects.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Having been down this road, this is a tall project considering limited audio experience. With reasonable audio experience, I built a pro-audio setup and fiberglass box. I failed short in considering the weight of the finished project. I spent over 5 months working consistently on the project, about 2 months fine tuning the audio quality. I ultimately bought Rubicon 450s.

Building a fiberglass box is hard and time consuming enough. (I'd personally forgo the fiberglass box to start with, perhaps http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=71&cat=Speaker+Cans) buying premade cans will shave *months* off your project. Build the fiberglass box (this winter?) after you have a working speaker solution you're happy with.

Building a pro-audio setup is it's own project that can consume lots of time and money. It's difficult to achieve the sound quality you'll desire.

There's value in reading Mikeski's historical posts. His professional expertise and considerable experience is worth it's weight in gold. He has developed a near bolt-on DIY solution for doing what you're trying to do. Plus it's proven.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-03-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
Hey Dennis,

Pro Audio is great, but it only sounds good from a bit away where the sounds can merge (highs and mids) otherwise you get blasted pretty good from the horns. Mikeski finally got a set of Wetsounds and is very happy with them.

Problem with the eminence stuff is that they have really large horns. About 6"x6" is the smallest I think. There comp drivers are pretty big around too, but that can be hidden inside the box.

I am in the process of building a new box to merge some horns and 6x9 speakers. Horns back and speakers down. We will see how it turns out. It is not an easy job. I have tried a couple different ways of making boxes and it is always tough. (3rd one now)

First box was all pro audio
Second was a mix, but too big so I never finished it.
My V3 is much tighter inside, but is not as bulky as my last one. Also, it is unique.

A good way to see what is worth your while is to look at what is one the market that you are going to mimic. See what they cost and compare it to what it will cost you to make it.

Finish is everything on a box, you will spend hours sanding and smoothing it. (I am getting pretty sick of it now) I have 30 hrs of just finish work into my current box. That does not include time to build it to where I could start on the finish.

Basically take the time you think it will take to build and multiply by 10. Then take the time frame you are giving yourself to get it done in and quadruple that.

I certainly hope mine looks good when it is done.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
Statment #1 I know almost nothing about audio
Statment #2 I've been considering a DIY project similar to this:

So you dont know to much about boat audio or HCLD's but you wanna do a pretty complicated tower box and HCLD speaker set up?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Hey If you like that tower box and you have about $3800 it can be your's
Old     (dgunthert)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
Well, the enclosure itself is a fairly straightforward project for someone with woodworking and fiberglass experience, which I have. Granted, I doubt I'll add the architectural detail you did (that really is very nice work, by the way).

As for the HCLD's, it's dawning on me that, yeah, they may not be as straightforward a project my initial research and reading would have me believe. It doesn't mean I'm abandoning the idea, however. While the sound quality will almost certainly suffer, there's a big difference between the $1800-$2000 for a Wet Sounds or Skylon setup and what this would run.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-03-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
I didnt make the tower box. Nick @ WB did. Its still unfinished because the owner had other priorties. Like I said. Its proabley 4 sale if you want it. I think there is like $1200 worth of speakers in it and the rest is the cost to build the box.

If you absoulty had to have some HCLD's in a custom tower box why not go to the clasified section and but the set of 485's for sale and then put your woodworking and fiberglass experience to the test.(be sure to take some pic's) That way you have the HCLD part taken care of with somthing that is tried and tested.
That just what I would do if I was in your shoes. But if you feel like re-inventing or making a better wheel then go for it. Losts of build your own HCLD tower speaker threads out there
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
Do not underestimate how much work there is in constructing a box with fibreglass. I speak from experience, finishing those boxes sucks donkeys balls.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/398843.html