Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-02-2013, 10:40 AM Reply   
After the countless instances of bashing and bullsh*tting i've seen go on in our sport about pre-spinning, wrapped tricks, zeaching, blah blah blah... i think we could learn a thing or two from these guys and their take on technicality of tricks... nobody cares as long as it looks sick

from STAB on Vimeo.

Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-02-2013, 12:12 PM Reply   
dude i couldnt agree more. if you got style and make it look way sicker then it is it make its that much better. its like freestyle motocross everybody can so a whip but if you go bigger and more style it looks way sicker.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-02-2013, 2:26 PM Reply   
Great Post. I like the approach they take on the 720! Hopefully that attitude starts to expand more into our sport. There'll always be a place for analytics when 10,000 dollar checks are being cut on a single trick... but for all the rest, enjoy the visual, don't ruin it over analysis :-p
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-02-2013, 2:31 PM Reply   
Just sick riding. They push so hard
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2013, 10:53 PM Reply   
Agree with everything above...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-03-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
No way! Everything has to be done like skateboarders and snowboarders! And the perfectly good reason for this is because some d-bag with a keyboard says so.

This video proves why surfing is still awesome. They could give a crap what its called, who does it or how it gets done. If its progressive and looks good to the eye, it is good.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
"540 720 I don;t know what it is but it's still Fu*king radical"

So true
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2013, 11:30 AM Reply   
I love those videos. The one on the death of the air reverse is really good too.

I think the problem comes when someone claims a trick. If you claim a 1080 and you prespun, that's a problem. If they dont claim it as a 1080 then it's just a gnarly trick. Otherwise, a good looking trick is a good looking trick. It's when you apply labels or claim stuff is when it gets weird.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-04-2013, 3:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
I love those videos. The one on the death of the air reverse is really good too.

I think the problem comes when someone claims a trick. If you claim a 1080 and you prespun, that's a problem. If they dont claim it as a 1080 then it's just a gnarly trick. Otherwise, a good looking trick is a good looking trick. It's when you apply labels or claim stuff is when it gets weird.
But isn't that what the above clip is all about? The guys are claiming a 720 when it's a 540. General consensus is; fcuk it, if it looks good then it's good..... or am I missing something?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-05-2013, 5:46 AM Reply   
]

from Hyperlite Wakeboards on Vimeo.

Ill just leave this here.... This way I can show that wakeboarding has a little flavor. And get complained at by the wake dads about teacup arm!

Last edited by simplej; 08-05-2013 at 5:49 AM.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-05-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
This video proves why surfing is still awesome. They could give a crap what its called, who does it or how it gets done. If its progressive and looks good to the eye, it is good.
after 5 years of dedication to wake, i've spent the last 2 years living and breathing all things surf. the lessons learned in surfing transcend the sport and i couldnt be more thankful for finding it.

wakeboarding provides so much consistency... and for the most part, its incredibly accessable if you have the funds$$$

surfing teaches patience like nothing else i've ever experienced. you can't buy a wave. and right about now (mid-summer in florida) you wish you could . but when the stars finally align and mother nature serves up a good swell, there's absolutely nothing like it.

that being said, its no wonder these guys have such an awesome perspective on progressive / technical surfing... they can't hit the same kicker a million times until they stick something... they can't ride behind the same boat anytime they want... so they have a unique appreciation for what can be done with what nature provides

f*ck technicalities... be thankful for every park lap and every boat set...and give respect when some sick sh*t goes down... my $0.02