Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-05-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
My incredibly amazing wakeboard boat is a 22' 1992 Hurricane Fundeck deckboat. I'd have to say it's the most amazing boat ever for wakeboarding behind. It even has a ballast system. It's more commonly known as a hole in the hull of the boat. It has a battery that dies quite often, including while tied up with the liquid force boats during brostock, resulting in paddling a long way back home with a bunch of drunk guys in the boat behind me. And it is topped off with a like, 200 hp motor. Not to mention the screwed up aesthetic problems with it, like the vinyl on the seats all being torn out and stuff like that... An accurate description would be the Pinto of boats. And I don't mean the pinto bean :-p

All negatives aside though, if you balance out the weight from the driver,it can throw a pretty decent wake. I've been actually contemplating putting a tower on it instead of buying a wakeboard boat, but am curious as to how effective that would actually be.

The worst thing about where I ride though is that there is someone out there with an absolutely gorgeous Wakesetter out there, and they water ski behind it. Thankfully though, they don't do power turns, but I cry a little bit inside when I see them water skiing, not even slalom skiing behind it... Not only that, but there are people out there with brand new X-Stars and Supras who ride around like they're hot s*** because they've got these nice rides, but can't do anything but jump the wake, and not even w2w, and then they'll ride by and taunt us in the deckboat. It just frustrates me... And this one deckboat that is literally out 24/7 towing their kids on a tube, and they just completely shred the water where people regularly wakeboard...

But after reading all that, I go back to the question about riding behind a deckboat. Does anyone else here do that? And how crazy would it be to have a tower on a deckboat... Or should I just earn a 3.5 in college and get a wakeboard boat? :-p
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
Not worth putting a tower on.

Put the money towards an old direct drive Mastercraft or nautique. SHould be able to find a rough one for $4000ish
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-06-2007, 5:39 AM Reply   
quit hatin on people with nicer stuff than you. If you werent' busy being jealous I bet you could chum up to thsoe people tubin and become the best boat whore in your town.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-06-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
Its not so much as hating and being jealous as these people flaunt boats that they don't know how to use, and don't know how to drive. I'm fairly proud of the Wakesetter out there not being a jackass. They do throw an awfully big wake for someone who just waterskiis though, so I'm not sure why they bought a wakesetter... Still, they're pretty good when it comes to water etiquette.

But most of the people on my lake with wakeboard boats have some kind of belief that they're super cool because of it, even when they can't do anything, and then taunt me. Not jealous, angry with them for being complete jackasses to me, there's a distinct difference. Just because you have a wakeboard boat doesn't mean that you have any right to act like you're better than the people with the deckboat, but they do...

And the people tubing are some rich grandparents who can afford 200-300 dollars in gas a day. And if you ever went out to my lake, you'd understand how much of pricks the old people out there are. It's amazing. I worked at a movie theater and saw all of these rich old people come into the theater and do nothing but complain about everything.

It's not socially possible to chum up to the tubers because they are the classic rich lake person, and I'm not just being judgemental. If you saw these people you'd understand.

And I was also saying that my deckboat actually throws a decentish wake, and that if I had a tower it would (shockingly) be actually pretty good for wakeboarding. But like dh said, it's not worth it to spend 1500 dollars on a tower to mount on a 4000 dollar deckboat of all things...

That comment just kind of makes me angry, cause I'm not "hating". I'm angry that people decide that they're automatically better at wakeboarding and just better in general because they have a boat made for wakeboarding. There's a pretty distinct difference, IMO. Maybe I came off like I was "jealous," which don't get me wrong, I am, but not in the hating way. I'm jealous that they have the boats, but I wouldn't have a problem with them if they weren't jackasses about it...
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-06-2007, 6:24 AM Reply   
I'd add a tower. When you come to sell the boat you could take the tower off and still get about 60% of the towers new price for it.

Get a monster tower at $1000 use it for a year or two and you'll still find someone who would give you $600 for it. So $400 over a few years for having the benifits of a tower is well worth it.

Who cares what the boat is like if you enjoy yourself on it. We can't all afford new xstars and a like and even if we could do you really need it?
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-06-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
Nick,

I understand your frustration but I do think its comical when people make fun of people that are doing something other than wakeboarding. There are alot of positives to having a tow boat, seating configuration, power, inboard, etc. So to each their own.

Back to your question, I use to ride behind a Crownline deckboat and it put out a OK wake. I wouldn't have put a tower on it. But if you really want to then go for it. Its your boat, do what you want with it and enjoy!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
that's cool that you even have a boat man, it is a luxury even if it's a "Pinto". But what's wrong with having a nice boat but not being able to pull anything but wake jumps? If I can't do more than W2W do I have to sell my VLX?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-06-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
You can not take a monster tower off and put it on another boat.

There may be other universal towers this would be possible with but not a monster.

Just enjoy what you can afford. Don't be mad because someone else can have something better. If you can afford a wake boat get one if not enjoy the heck out of your deck boat.

What does earning a 3.5 in college have to do with getting a wake boat?
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-06-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Nick,

After reading everything it seems like that person would still be a jackass if they were driving down the street in a sweet car. You've got to understand that some people are going to think they are better than you no matter what you're doing, maybe not right but the way it is. Not to offend but could it be a bit of an inferiority complex that is helping them out? You make it sound like your boat is a P.O.S. I'll tell you, at 18 I would have been happy to have any boat. It wouldn't have to be an $80k boat but if it floated and the engine ran more than I had to paddle so be it. Quick story, when I turned 16 in high school I had a friend who got a brand new Porsche for her birthday, drove it for 2 months and decided she didn't like it. Parents took it back and gave her a brand new Mustang 5.0 (very popular car in 1990). Those of us who were driving around in VW bugs could have felt like you but for what? I was 16 and out on the road by myself and that's what it was about. ME! When you're on the water you shouldn't care what the next man is driving or what he's doing in it. Enjoy the fact that you're blessed enough to be out there enjoying it. Your glass is half full, appreciate that as you will be able to fill it the rest of the way later on in life.
Old     (jon_roth)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-06-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
build some rails on the deck boat that fold out like out riggers, and build a tower, throw some friends on it with a video camera, and ride behind another boat to hit it , thats what I'd do with it, my friend used to have a old boat we used to do starts off of the top of a deck that was as high as the tower.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-06-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
3.5? No Fair! I got a 4.0 through college and I had to buy my own boat once I was out (of course, getting the 4.0 made getting a job to earn the money for the boat a lot easier :-))
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-06-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Nick, be proud to have a boat!! If someone is a a-hole to you because of the boat you drive, to hell with them. $10 says that the person thats gonna talk crap about your boats is gonna be someone that does not own one themselves. Go to a metal fab shop and have them throw something together that will get the job done. Dont worry about what it looks like, just make sure it is functional. Enjoy the piss out off it!! Ohh, one thing that I would invest in is getting your leak and dead battery fixed those are two things that would ruin a good day on the water.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-06-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
Dude, no one should talk smack about the Hurricane. Those boats are awesome.

We went to a friend cabin and they had just bought an '86 Hurricane. That boat rips. it has the Chebby 4.3l V6 and it was still doing 40mph(on the speedo). Pulling tubers and cruising up and down th e lake it was awesome.

Of course we had the Supersport to wakeboard behind when we didn't want to be on the Hurricane.

Just be happy you're not one of those suckers stuck on shore.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-06-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
Do people really come over and taunt someone about their boat? That just seems really strange. What exactly, do they say?.......
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       09-06-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
That's what I was wondering... I usually offer fellow boarders a pull if I see they are struggling with a non-wake boat, not taunt them.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-06-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
I've noticed that high end wakeboard boats are becoming somewhat of a status symbol.
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-06-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
I think wake boats have just become much more practical in the last 4 years. The wake for any type of water sport is better and the seating layout in a V-Drive is much better than an IO of a comparable length IMO. You also have a boat that holds it's value fairly well.

(Message edited by 24_ssv on September 06, 2007)