Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-22-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Daul axle trailer for a 06 VLX. Will go into reverse on flat and level ground. As soon as we go over any bumps/potholes it will brake and lock up. Looks like there is a pin that moves back and forth on the toungue, is this adjustable? More fluid??
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
Are you running a 7 pin plug? You need to have your wiring harness on both your truck and trailer looked at. The plug should unlock your brakes. More than likely the plug on your truck is messed up.

In the mean time, you should have received a key w/ your trailer to lock out the brakes. That slot w/ the pin your looking at is where the key goes.

(Message edited by Tanner on July 22, 2007)
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Ryan, you have a Ford don't you???? If so, you are missing a relay in the engine compartment.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
It could be as easy as the harness that plugs into your plug on the truck has came loose up under the bumper.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
Tanner, this is exactly what my Ford Expedition did when I attempted to back my boat up the first time. But you could right if his vehicle is other than a Ford.... For some reason, Ford refuses to put in a relay and when you talk with a Ford dealership (in my case specifically) they blame the trailer manufacturer. I went back and forth for 1 day and the boat shop helped me out and solved exactly what I thought was the problem that Ford refused to acknowledged.
Old     (jsanders)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-22-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Not sure if this will help, but here is a thought.

Prior to having a disc break trailer I had just a flat four connection. The trailer needed to have a flat 5 pin. The fifth wire goes off of the back up lights so the trailer disengages breaks when backing up.

I was able to temporarily deal with this by turning around the wiring connectors and turn on the lights, this would disengage the breaks for the purpose of backing up by providing power to the 5th connector (back up lights).

!! Make sure before you go anywhere to change it back otherwise your breaks will be disengaged when pulling !!

this worked great for me until I had it fixed at a
truck accessory place.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-22-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
the trailer hitch slides back and forth, and when you slide it backwards the brakes lock up(if you don't have the right plug on your truck).

We don't have the right plug and we stuck a magnet in there and it works great...just be careful and make sure it doesn't fall out because ours fell out 2x
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-22-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
What Jeremy said works for me too. Turn the harness the wrong way when plugging it in. If I recall, one of the "pins" on the harness won't be able to be used in this configuration. But wiring it like this will prevent the breaks from locking up in reverse. (Boy, it's a lot easier to do than to describe!)
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-23-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Until you get the correct harness, do this: As the others have said, simply reverse, or turn over, the trailer light connector, so that the brown wire from the truck end aligns with the blue wire on the trailer end. Turn on your running/headlights, and the brakes will be locked out.

Don't forget to put it back to the proper position after you are done, because you have no trailer lights with the plug reversed.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-23-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
I always have to reverse the plugs with my Explorer. It works
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-23-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Thanks, I put a magnet on the connector. I was just pulling up the hill from the water at our place, didn't have a plug with me. Doing oil change and waxing.

I was starting to get pissed off.