Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
So I need to cover a couple small runs of wire on my tower. What do y'all use for this, bc all I can find is that cheap split plastic wire loom. Was thinking about heat shrink wrapping them but idk. Also, are there any special grommets that I can use where I drill into the fiberglass on the boat to jump into it? Something that will look better than just a whole with a rubber grommet? Thanks for any advice!!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-24-2013, 6:52 AM Reply   
Y are you not running inside your tower?
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 6:56 AM Reply   
I did... I just need to cover the wires where they come out of the speaker, into the tower, and out of the tower into the boat.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-24-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
This isn't the best example (the tubing size is too large), but you get the idea. I bet Home Depot or Lowes would offer a thinner tube in store.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Buchanan-...8#.UZ9yEEC1GSo

Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 7:16 AM Reply   
That's what I have on it now... I don't like the way it looks so I'm wanting something a little more professional looking
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-24-2013, 7:40 AM Reply   
Search for "wire sleeve" or "expanable wire sleeve" and you will find all kinds of options. I've used it for years. I keep the cut ends from fraying by adding some shrink tubing at the ends.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
Is that a nylon loom? I have found a ton of nylon expandable loom on eBay. But I worry it will become brittle in the elements...
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-24-2013, 8:25 AM Reply   
Yes, nylon sleeve. This stuff is only 1 year old, but I had some on before I replaced my tower speakers for about 4-5 years and it was just like new.

The only PITA about the stuff is your have to put it on the wire before running it through the tower, but I have seen some split sleeve offered now. I just don't know if it would end up looking as good as the sleeve that isn't split.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 9:00 AM Reply   
The wire is already ran but I can disconnect it from the amp and fish it up to where I need it easily. Only part I can't do that is where it goes out of the speaker mount and into the tower. That's a short enough run of wire though I think I'm just going to heat shrink it and be done. I f'd up and put my butt connectors all in the same section so I really need to pull the wire out so I have some slack and re do them right up there. I don't really need any kind of disconnect where it goes into the boat but I would like something prettier than just a hole with a grommet in it... Any suggestions?
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-24-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
I used plastic grommets for the holes in my tower, but my wires come up through the tower feet so they can't be seen where they pass through fiberglass. I don't think the plastic grommets would work well in fiberglass though depending on how thick the media was.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
I used plastic grommets for the holes in my tower, but my wires come up through the tower feet so they can't be seen where they pass through fiberglass. I don't think the plastic grommets would work well in fiberglass though depending on how thick the media was.
Good point... I didn't think about the thickness of the fiberglass. I saw a couple guys one here using the bilge dump fittings and running the wires through that. I think I'm gonna get some expandable wire loom, heat shrink each end over the wires and run it through one of those dump fittings.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-24-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
Techflex: