Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    SamIngram            10-25-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Well, this Saturday I went for my Hoochie Glide, which I have only landed 2 or 3 times out of hundreds of attempts... I managed to get my finger stuck between the board and my bindings. I couldn't get it out and landed on it. I broke the little bone in 5 parts and almost lost the finger. I go to the surgeon later today.

I ride the Decade with Watson bindings. I wear a 13. On this setup there is a large rail on the edge of the board and a gap where the bindings cross it, I got my finger stuck in there.

I blew out a big hole in the end and lost a lot of flesh... and it still doesn't hurt.
Attached Images

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-25-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
I just threw up. Gross. Sorry Bro.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-25-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Wow, that's the craziest wake injury I've ever heard of!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-25-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
DAMN!!! That is crazy. I bet you are the only person that has ever happened too!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-25-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
That's absolutely crazy.... wow man. Get that baby healed up! I've never heard of something like that. Strings maybe... finger... no way!
Old    SamIngram            10-25-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
Ortho says it will heal fine and that I don't need surgery. It will look a little funny, but it should heal fine. I think I am going to fill the space under the bindings with paper towels or something.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-25-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
whoaaa! that is pretty nasty.

I had an injury too on sat riding... left arm went through the handle on a fall, rope tightened and nearly ripped my arm off (or so it felt) as the handle was all the way up in my armpit. Big bruise...no blood. I immediately felt for bones and metal sticking out underwater as this arm already has a plate and 6 screws.
heal up quick.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-25-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Damn dude that's pretty crazy. I squashed my fingers in much the same way early this year running them through a pulley, takes about 3 - 6 months to grow your finger nails back if they're missing...

No idea how that doesn't hurt though, you're a hard man.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-25-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Damn dude that's pretty crazy. I squashed my fingers in much the same way early this year running them through a pulley, takes about 3 - 6 months to grow your finger nails back if they're missing... or drop off later.

No idea how that doesn't hurt though, you're a hard man.
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-25-2010, 7:26 PM Reply   
dude i kno how u feel with cruching a finger in the sorta way!! mega pain!
Old     (wakebdr10)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-25-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
ouch that looks gnarlyy
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-25-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
That is intense. Hope you have a good and quick recovery.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-25-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
geez man! looks like you smashed it with a hammer or rock
Old     (SugarFree)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-25-2010, 10:08 PM Reply   
you're the only person I know who can accomplish these things... I dont know whats worse, this or you landing with the fins on your wrists.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       10-27-2010, 4:32 AM Reply   
Lol....ouch.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
really had no idea that was possible. seems like you have way to much heel lift in your bindings to be able to do that. hope you heel soon, it will definitely make me think twice as to wear i'm grabbing my hoochies
Old    SamIngram            10-27-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
No heal lift, the Decade has a huge rail on the top, I assume to aid in grabbing the board - both on and off, and my size 13 bindings bridge over the gap created by the rail. I just stuck my finger in the wrong place while trying to do a move I should not. I was out of control...

I would post the x-ray, but the break is very hard to see.

My finger isn't that bad though. I might not even lose the nail. I can still type with it and it doesn't hurt. The Dr. said that I could have very well lost the tip of the finger though if the bone parts would have been more spread apart.

The three wounds on the bottom are from it rupturing when it got squashed.

The last two pictures are just some I found on my phone I thought I would share...lol I love my Collin Wright Vest...
Attached Images

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-27-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
And he rewards us for looking at nasty pictures of his finger. Way tooooo goooooooooo!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       10-27-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
what finger?
Old     (SugarFree)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-27-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
i heard some hot chick hurt her finger in this forum or something... is she ok?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-27-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
That would take at least two fingers....
Old    SamIngram            03-16-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
Well it has been about 5 months since my last pictures... I went to see the doctor again today because I have "hook nail" as a result of the trauma. The nail keeps growing downward into the skin around the nail bed. It has since became infected. The infection has taken root into new bone growth in my finger and I now have Osteomyelitis! Tomorrow I am having the end of the finger removed. There is about a 10% chance they can save the tip, but either way it will be deformed. Here are the current pictures...
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-16-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
Bummer man - heal up quick.. My brother lost the tip of his finger when we were teenagers and he's never had any problems doing anything.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-16-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
Good luck with the surgery!
Old    SamIngram            03-16-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
I guess it's not all that bad. I can get a USB Finger Drive! or maybe just a little hook or spoon that I can pick my nose with!

Geek replaces lost finger with USB Drive

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-16-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
Lmfao Sam! I recommend a micro SD finger drive. Then you can plug it into your phone for music, back up contacts, and Russian missile intelligence p
Old    SamIngram            03-18-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
Well they saved my finger! It's not going to look to pretty, but I can still count to ten without taking off my shoes!
Attached Images