Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-31-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
....On an 02 X-star I was test driving today (315 hours), the steering seemed pretty stiff. I know this is a known issue for this boat. The question is how do I know if it's stiffer than normal if I've never driven a DD or Vdrive before. All previous boats I've had have been I/O and Outboards. I've read posts on replacing the steering cable which some claim is fairly simple and some say is a pain. Any lubrication or anything else I can try. My gut tells me that the boat should not turn that hard, but like I mentioned before, I have no prior experience to compare it too. Thanks.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
Most likely, the steering cable needs to be changed. The steering should be relatively effortless. You can get a cable for $150-200. Changing it out is straightforward but can be a pain. Personally, if you like everything else about the boat, I would make them fix it before you buy it and not let it influence your opinion on the boat.
Old     (dstockton)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-31-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
I bought an 02 x-star last summer. When testing everything was great,but first time out steering was so stiff that my wife could not steer. Took it back had new cable installed and never had another issue.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-31-2007, 10:09 PM Reply   
Bob, you'd know if the steering was proper, it would take one finger to steer. I had the same issue on my 205V (same boat) end of last year and I put in a cable myself, with no experience. I can give you full instructions to do it yourself, PM me if you want. Cost of the cable at my dealer was $155, but you can find them cheaper. I can give you the part number also, I just don't have it in front of me.

If I were you I would try to get a discount on the purchase because of the need for a cable. Then save that money for other modifications and do it yourself!