Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            11-27-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
In combat aircraft, in particular helicopters, dry bays are filled with ballistic foam to prevent fires and reduce damage from shrapnel. Principally it's polyurethane foam about 2 pound, with fiberglass strand mixed in.

The fiberglass adds some structural integrity to the foam.

With that in mind, we attempted to reproduce it with chopped strand mat and pour foam.

We started with a section of CSM and pulled it apart. Then mixed up some pour foam and added the fibers to the mix while waiting for it to rise.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            11-27-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
After letting it rise, I cut a section of the foam off to see if the fibers were mixed into the foam and...

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-27-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
the fibers were mixed throughout. The orientation of the fibers is associated with the rise of the foam as can be seen in these pictures.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-27-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
Jeff, You really need a hobby.
Old    surfdad            11-27-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
I know! I wish I could think of something, do you have any suggestions, Show? :-)
Old    lakeside5_10            11-28-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
kinda looks like instant hair
Old    surfdad            11-28-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
LOL

Garage enterprises is proud to introduce Instant Hair, the new ballistic foam alternative to unsightly tupee's. Tired of taking shrapnel to the head? Then you need Instant Hair! Hate when people look at your unsightly tupee, trying to determine if it's real? Well banish that from your life, EVERYONE will know that Instant Hair! isn't real hair.

Instant Hair! with it's patented microfiber technology not only protects you from the humilation associated with common tupees', and flying shrapnel, but it will also quickly extinguish fires and prevent gas tank ruptures in your dry bay!

Let's be honest, what woman can resist a man with Instant Hair!

(small print - not legal for use in North Carolina, Virginia or Washington)
Old    surfdad            11-28-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
Customer testimonials. I got tired of always having to pick shrapel from my scalp, sometimes that would take me all weekend. Now, with Instant Hair! I can wakesurf and never have to worry about pesky shrapnel. Thanks Instant Hair! You saved my weekends.

Upload
Old    lakeside5_10            11-28-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
LOL
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-28-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
Just make sure you ONLY apply it to the top of your head.

or at least only post pictures of it on top of your head.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-29-2008, 5:04 AM Reply   
Dad's Skunworks in action again
Maybe its time for ballistic fabric probably from Kevlar which you like
like this dude
http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_printable;post=375933;gues t=20880704
search for Yorky posts

just milling this fiberfoam will create dangerous dust to your lung, eyes etc. so take care and also put woofy faraway.

(Message edited by hawaj on November 29, 2008)