Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old    abadsvt            10-15-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
I was looking into getting a dry suit but i have never worn one or even really seen one. My local boat shop where i bought my boat sells Barefoot int. dry suits. i think that is right. Anyways he told me the ones he really likes are the tight bottoms and loose tops. What do you think of these suits? I believe i could get a really killer deal but don't want to buy crap if you know what i mean. Any comments would be much appreciated.

One more thing. Does a drysuit make a big difference? I live here in CA so our winters don't get nearly as cold as some of yours but the still get chilly. Thanks Josh
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
yes, drysuits rule!!! oniel boost or bare are both good brands. get the baggy bottoms and top, they are more comfortable. The most important thing is to make sure all the neck, arm, and leg seels aren't to loose or tight.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-15-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
I have both a wetsuit 5/3 steamer (semi/dry) and a dry suit. The drysuit is awsome .....just go in with whatever clothes your wearing...come out dry. I was resting in the water last weekend...the water was 55 ...didn't feel a thing. However that being said my 5/3 wetsuit is awsome and costs a lot less! You actually start to sweat in that thing and when you go in the water you cool off....I believe it is good down to 50......and it feels more natural as it is hugging you. Either way you can't go wrong. Also the wetsuit is a little easier to put on....the drysuit you have to get into the seals, close it up ( the zipper is tight....the neck seal is tight too)....then you have to scrunch up and squeeze the air out or it will leak)
Old    abadsvt            10-15-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
So the baggy bottoms are more comfortable? Have you ever used the tight bottom ones? The reason why i am asking so many questions about the tight bottom ones is because he highly recommended them. Thanks for the reply. I am excited that i get to board for a few more months!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    abadsvt            10-15-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
Thanks Michael!!! How much did your 5/3 streamer cost? I think i can get a barefoot int. dry suit for the $130-145 range. With that being said would you still choose the westsuit?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-15-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
both the bare and the oneil are very good..

i have the oneil boost and like it alot.. it has a neophrene neck (less costraining), suspenders (doesnt bag/hangs better/more comfortable), and 2 day turnaroud for repairs (so cal vs. canada)..

it does cost a bit more (approx. $75) but a must for cold weather riding...
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-15-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
Josh.....the steamer wetsuit was in the same range on sale......you know I would pick the wetsuit because it keeps you really warm and not as bulky and extra clothes underneath....it just seems a little more user friendly plus your just wearing a wetsuit ( a really warm one )....for california I would think its more than enough.

but under 50 water temps would probably start wearing the dry suit because then its nice not to get wet at all .

good luck choosing!
Old    abadsvt            10-16-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
Does anyone now what an average water temp is at Nacimento in Paso Robles,CA? After hearing what you all have to say about the wetsuit compared to a dry suit sounds great. I just want to make sure the water doesn't get below 50deg like you all mentioned. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!!!!!
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-17-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
DWB.com has an intresting discussion about drysuits. One of the guys has some good information on the neo bottoms. The topic is kinda long, but there's some good information from Jason_SSR in it.
http://www.dallaswakeboarding.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7986
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-17-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
Regarding the debate over wet suits, semi-dry, and baggy, I prefer the baggy. The others will keep you warm in the water and while riding, but for me it's more about how warm I am in the boat after my set. It sucks to be wet while in a boat doing 23 mph with a breeze when it's in the low 50's outside.

Get a good baggy suit that doesn't leak and be dry when you get back in the boat. Just layer your clothing underneath. If you take a digger and get some water up your sleeve you can peel off the layer that got a little damp and still be dry.

My .02
Old     (tarkus70)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-17-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
I use the Barefoot International switched this year from an old Skiwarm. have not gotten wet at all and have taken some good falls.If I knew how much better the BI was I would have switched a long time ago. Just my $0.02 as well