Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-06-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
I want to install an after market ballast system on my 2000 malibu lsv. Any suggestions? I was look at rival industry 3 bag system. Any Good?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-06-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Just use Fat Sacs they got alot of different size sacs to load down youre boat and the new Tsunami pumps are the fastest pumps around. Go to www.fatsacs.com to check them out.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-06-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Sorry Ryan The web site now for Fat Sacs is on www.barefootinternational.com
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-06-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
i have the fat sacs, but i'm looking for a pump system that i can install, just flip a switch and you can fill and empty the sacs
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-06-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
I hear ya. yes that is much different, and a pain in the a##, I just perfer to use the tsunami pumps they are alot faster than a internal pump system. I can empty out 4 Fatsacs faster than my internal ballest system can empty out.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-06-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
do you have the factory system in you x-star? I would think that a factory system, would be better. But even if it's not just flipping a switch has to be easier than filling them by hand.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-06-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
Ya I have the factory system its alright very slow, it takes longer to fill and drain the factory ballast than the Fatsacs with the
tsunami and I pumping alot more water in the fatsacs as well. But Iam running two tsunamis for 4 fatsacs.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-06-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
The Rival ballast system is super sick!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-06-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
http://www.rivalindustry.com/
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Fly High AkA: Barefoot International also has a 4 or 5 Pro X Series Fat Sac integrated system available. With the ability to just flip a switch on the dashboard. This system inludes the sacs, hoses, and aftermarket pump...call them up, they are great people.
www.fatsac.com
www.barefootinternational.com
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-06-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
I second the rival system
Old    vanski            10-06-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
Save money...do it yourself. Buy the Jabsco wakeboard pump. It comes with a rocker switch so you can fill and empty. Buy the hose and 3/4" fitting from your local hardware store. I tapped into my engine intake and t'd off of it to the pump. Love it. All you got to do is drop your boat in the water and flip the switch. I'll search for the thread that gives you an understanding on how to automate your system. Goodluck Ryan
Old    vanski            10-06-2005, 9:42 PM Reply   
Ryan here is a good thread to get you started.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/105071.html

Or

http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/BallastSystem1.asp
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-07-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Van, Do you know how many gallons per hour the Jabsco pumps and will it work on a v-drive? The picture on the tread you sent me to was a direct drive.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-07-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
I can tell you that the jabsco pumps are about 9gpm which would (obviously) be 540 gallons per hour.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-07-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
I have looked all over the web for the jabsco ballast puppy and I can not find it. Any one know where i can get one? Tried West Marine on line, i couldn't see it.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-07-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
Like I said Fly High's system is perfect, and yes they do use Jabsco's pump.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
They have them at all four West Marines in my area. I also had no problem finding them on their site. Also they price match. I found them for 179 on line, and they matched it.

Be carefull buying them from a retail outlet like West Marine. Here locally, people go in and steal the switches from the boxes. Make sure you check before you leave the store.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Here's were I bought mine from (179.95)
http://www.asenashop.com/ivn/9915.html

heres one spot for 199
http://store.wmjmarine.com/75-1901.html

I saw them in West Marine in Pittsburg CA for 199 (I think) recently. I have since found them for 174.95 online, but unsure where.

Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-07-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thanks!
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-07-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
How about information on the rival industry ballast system. I was looking at it and it looks like you can fill three to five sacs seperate. barefoot int. fills and empties up to five sacs at the same time. Any info on rival v. barefoot int?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
I have bought from the first link, very fast shipping. A friend of mine recommended the second to me. West Marine is atleast the same price in store here locally as the second.

I haven't installed mine yet. Make sure you are comfortable doing this stuff before you start. I'd suggest the off season. I've cut/modded frames of trucks, bodywork, and overall pretty handy (but no fiberglass). Still can't get the guts to drill a hole in my boat. IMO, don't tap into the fresh water intake. JUST MY OPINION. Others will disagree.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-07-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
I used three Simer pumps from BE Atlas, about $60 each. Then I had a hole drilled in the boat for the water intake. It works great and cost about $500 total. Without the sacks. Each sack runs off it own pump.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
You can do the same thing with the ballast pups, and a few Toro springler valves from home depot. I have no experience with either of those systems, but you can do the same thing cheaper on your own.

You can use one ballast pup, and a few Toro valves for your system, it'd be slow. I'm using three ballast pups on three tank/bags. Should be fast and fairly simple, but expensive. Also, the Ballast Pups are self primimg. This (in theory) should work better than the other systems.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
If cooper's system works, it maybe better than mine. I haven't even installed mine yet. It is cheaper.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-07-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
cooper,

Do you like the 3 pump system? It looks good, but 3 pumps to break (actually i think it 4, 3 pump and 1 empties?) I think it would be close to the same set up. except for the drilling thing.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-07-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
do a search, there are a ton of threads on do it yourself ballast systems and every type and kind you can imagine. Both of the main types haves pros and cons. Depends what stuff is more important to you. Read up and you should be all set.
Old    vanski            10-07-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
Ryan it doesn't matter if it is a VD or DD. The DD your sacs and hose will be exposed. The VD depending on the size of the ski lockers will be able to hold your sacs. Just measure out the ski locker and add about two inches length and width for expansion. I use Fly Highs Pro X series sacs in the back. One ballast puppy pump fills 800 lbs in about 5 minutes or so. The ballast puppy is reversible and empties pretty quick. WMJmarine is the best price I found six months ago and they are reliable/fast shipping. As for tapping into the intake...I was worried at first, but haven't heard of anyone blowing an engine from it. Remember your engine's water pump is much stronger than the ballast puppy. Common sense states...always keep an eye on your temp gauge and just fill as your cruising. I wouldn't waste my money with a drain pump. Oh...remember to have an overflow hose coming from the sacs. I tapped into my bilge line and installed a flapper valve to prevent water from flowing back into my bilge. It prevent you from blowing a hose when you accidentally forget to turn off the pump, and it is an indicator that the sacs are full when you see water flowing out the bilge hose.

If you want Ryan I'll be glad to post pictures of my setup.

Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-08-2005, 4:50 AM Reply   
Van,

if you could post some pics, that would be very helpful. I may not have to tap into my water intake though, I have a 3/4 diameter water drain in the floor and I think I will be able to us it.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-10-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
The Simer pumps work just like the Jabsco Ballast Puppy. One direction to fill and flip the switch and they empty back out the hole in the bottom of the boat. Works driving or sitting and they are self priming so they can be above the water line. Just can't put them in the engine compartment because they are not ignition protected. The parts are also really cheap so if you burn up an impeller you could change in minutes on the water.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-10-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
I looked at barefoot int's system and they want about $600. Rival industry wants $900 for their 3 bag system. I said screw it and bought 3 jabsco pump puppys for $179 a piece and I'm going to buy all the fittings and tubing and Install the system myself. There were a couple of pictures at the start of this post that helped me out. Thanks Guys!
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-10-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
I looked at barefoot int's system and they want about $600. Rival industry wants $900 for their 3 bag system. I said screw it and bought 3 jabsco pump puppys for $179 a piece and I'm going to buy all the fittings and tubing and Install the system myself. There were a couple of pictures at the start of this post that helped me out. Thanks Guys!