Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-25-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
I am trying to head down to Table Rock this weekend. Can anybody point me in the right direction of where to stay.

First off, maybe somewhere where it aint that crowded. I am not into the crowded party scene. Just wanna get some good riding in and have a few cold ones. And maybe suggest a place to stay. Something thats not total budget that has a launch ramp and some boat docks.

Thanks.....Dub
Old    leggester            05-25-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
Sorry, I've only stayed at Big Cedar. Very nice place.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Big Cedar al the way. I used to go to Kanakuk Kamp there. So fun.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-25-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
Stay away from Big Cedar. That is the worst end of the lake. You need to go to Hickory Hollow Resort down by Viola(outside Shell Knob), or to the Holiday Island area by Eurika Springs AR. The lake is narrow, but there is no one down there. You can drive up to the base of Beaver Lake Dam where the water is about 40 degrees.
Old    leggester            05-25-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
How long does it take with a boat to go from BC to HH?

BC, I must say, has extreme service. And if it's only a 15 minute boat ride to the better coves and such, it's worth it.

I don't know the lake at all really, but our company had a program there and it was really a first class joint all the way.
Old     (aok)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-26-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
We have a group of 14 heading there tomorrow morning... staying in a big condo at Holiday Island. That area never seems to be that crowded (compared to other spots) on holiday weekends. There are a lot of lodging options around Holiday Island, a big ramp and a marina. I think the 3 boat slips we reserved are $10/night.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-26-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
Matt, it is clear accross the lake. Maybe 45minutes to an hour. The point is, why stay somewhere where you have to travel to find good water. Hickory Hollow is a nice resort. It has all new log cabins. It is not nearly as big as BC, but just as nice. I have never been able to find good water on holiday weekends up toward the Kimberling city/Branson West area, and I have been going there every summer since I was 3. At HH, you can ski right off the dock. Holiday Island is also a nice area of the lake.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-26-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions......Gotta place over by Shell Knob, its some dive place but its perfect. Hickory Hollow was booked.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Shell Knob is nice, my parents place is down near Kimberling... From Shell Knob head up the Kings River for good water on a holiday weekend!

Good Luck enjoy the Rock! I will be leaving to there tomorrow!
Old    leggester            05-27-2005, 6:21 AM Reply   
Awesome, sounds like the spot Paul.

Sometimes I wish I was closer to the Midwest...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-27-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
Matt,
I live in KS, and the boating here sucks to say the very least. That is why we go to MO alot. I bet the lakes in Co are very nice. It is constantly windy here. The shore line is flat, and the waves are big. I thought about getting into Kit boarding until I heard about a guy on Cheney getting picked up by a freak wind blast. It carried him thirty feet in the air and over a hundred yards on land, and then dragged him around for a while. I guess you lock in? He broke both legs and busted up his arm real bad.Pretty funny though.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-31-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
KState..... thanks for the tip on heading up the Kings River. It was good til about 11am all weekend.

After 11am though, I have never seen that many tube'ers in my life.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-31-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
couldn't get away from the tubers huh steve? that sucks. Sounds like you got some goods though. Me, Erica, Marc and the boys went to Mammoth. It was sick. I miss you man.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Sdub

Glad to hear things worked out alright for ya... I went out at 6am and 8pm each day for my sets... Other than that I just did 12 oz curls all weekend. Really wasn't too busy except Sunday afternoon... Super hot and sunny all weekend was a plus!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-31-2005, 1:14 PM Reply   
Paul, Hickory Hollow is also our choice. We've been going there on and off for the last 10 years. It gets nicer every year and the owners are awesome. It is a little tricky getting north on the Kings River if you haven't done it before, but you have to be careful. Can be really tricky navigating at night. We've been as much as 5 miles south off HH on the river though, thinking about putting a course down there this year, won't see a boat all day. We're down there for the week of July 9-16.

Kansas isn't that bad, you just have to know what lakes to be on. Smaller the better. My parents are from a small town north of Topeka, the county built a 500+ acre lake in 1997 about 2 minutes from their house. We have a slalom course on there. The lake is probably the cleanest I have seen in Kansas, can usually see about 8 to 10 feet down in the summer and during the warm summer months when the wind is out of the south it can blow about 30+ mph and we still ski in glass. Only bummer is it's about an hour and 20 minutes from JoCo. I can't wait until I have the resources to start building a private lake community in the KC metro. There are a couple nice places in the K-10 corridor near Desoto and Eudora.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-31-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
Down were I live the land is a little flatter and the lakes are a lot dirtier(sp?). I know there are decent lakes around, just not around me. If I am going to travel over 2hrs, I am TRL bound. Its only 4.5hrs from here. Let me know if you get that course set up down there. Was the course on Kings River functional? Last time I was there it was all F*&ked up. We are going July 21st, but we are renting a house boat for a week, so we will be in the chop. 12oz curl days.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-01-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
The KR course is a mess anymore. There is getting to be too much traffic up that way. I will get back with you closer if I get the course in. Right now a friend of mine has the course down there. He lives around Shell Knob, but I don't know where he has been putting it in. Houseboat should be a great time. I almost moved to Wichita out of college, but the lack of lakes pretty much made my decision to come to KC instead.

Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-01-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
Saw a course set up on the Kings River, just past the Viola park marina.

Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-03-2005, 5:09 AM Reply   
My mom and dad own this resort on table rock. You can park your boat next to my X-9. We have plenty of butter, espesially during the week. Big cedar is expensive and Viola is two hours from any branson attractions that your family might also enjoy. My folks place is 5 min from Steal Your Dollar City (Silver Dollar City) and they have a boat dock with individual cabins.
Alpinelodgeresort.com