Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-10-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
Getting closer to buying a new boat and am getting down to little details such as cover and bimini material. Many may think no big deal, but in Arizona the sun is very hard on everything. I don't have the option of storing indoors, so a good cover makes a big difference. Over the past 30 years I have tried and used nearly everything. I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 years out of any type of canvas. My last new boat had a sharkskin cover. It didn't breath and only lasted 3 years. I had a local guy make a custom Sunbrella cover that even went over my folded tower. It is the best I've had and seems like it will last 5 years. It is also very heavy.

Two local dealers are pushing this Surlast material, claiming it is better. It is much lighter and thinner. Surlast is polyester and sunbrella is acrylic, but other than that, what are the pros and cons? And most important- what are your experiences? I've talked about covers, but it would apply to bimini material too.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-11-2009, 12:19 PM Reply   
bump... Any opinions?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Acrylics usually stand up better than polyester but there are many chemists making good products. I'm not familiar with Surlast but I think it's polyester coated with a urethane.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-11-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
Sharkskin is also polyester, so if you didn't have great results with it I would imagine that you would have the same results with Surlast?
Old     (sewlong)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-11-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
The Sunbrella should outlast the Surlast by 2 times
Sunbrella Just upped there warranty to 10 years

The Polyester (Surlast, etc...) Is a good fabric and it has a much stronger initial strength than Acrylic, However it also deteriorates MUCH faster than the Acrylic. So therefore even though the Sunbrella isn’t as strong initially it retains a higher strength over a 5-10 year period
I say go with Sunbrella and don’t forget to use a PTFE thread!