Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (autosports)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
Do you want to see something scary check out this link, http://thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=8986 This is how it effects my lake,
The California Department of Boating and Waterways (Cal Boating) provides the Trinity County Sheriff’s Department $114,543 through the Boating Safety and Enforcement Financial Aid Program, and this funding would be lost if Cal Boating is eliminated. This could mean that our Sheriff's boat would no longer be funded by the county.
We just got word on this proposal by the Gov. If this happens our boating enforcement program will be gone 100% The county can not afford to replace these funds. This is the first time the Gov. has brought this up in all the discussions regarding the Law Enforcement cuts he is proposing.
Contact State Legislators NOW to Stop Your Boater Fees From Being Hijacked!
Unless boaters act now, Cal Boating will be gone in 3 months, the boating advocacy group Recreational Boaters of California warns.

Please take a moment to e-mail your California state representatives: Send them a message to show your support for Cal Boating!

To locate your individual representative, please refer to this Web site: www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html. Please take the time to write to your representative.

So all the taxes we pay as boaters, marine fuel tax,ect. that were used to improve our boating experience will be gone, absorbed by the state to pay for non boating related services
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-10-2009, 5:05 AM Reply   
I hate to tell you this but it'll probably pass along with a bunch of other "minor" programs in order to help save the state budget and expenses from tanking. How's this scenario, no services on state controlled lakes, campgrounds or park facilities. Sorry to say it's already been brought up from what i read.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-10-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
So your saying the lake cop's might have to stay home? There might be no lake cop's on your local lake? I say GOOD. I don't like the local lake cop's. Our lake has 2 Fat guys that ride around on Jet Ski's like they are the in nooks and crany's waiting to pull people over. Not seeing them anymore! Sorry I don't see this as a bad thing. IMO it's a waste of tax payer money.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-10-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
It wont be a waste of money once you get hit by a drunken boater and have little to no power to do anything. Or maybe all the drinking and trash that will come with the notion that there is no water police around.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Yeah, I am all for having them out there. I wish they tested every driver for intoxication. Sometimes going out of your way to talk to the rangers and be nice to them can go a long way. We do that every time we see the rangers at the marina at Lake Mcclure, ask them how their day is going and what not. Then one time we were out wakesurfing and I accidentally left the flag in the seat that we put a fatsac on. We rode for about 20 minutes before the ranger spotted us without a flag. He drove over and gave us one and said have a good day and took off.

You don't think you want a ranger on the lake until you actually need them.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-10-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
They also preform rescues and help keep theft down. Can you imagine a world with no police? Utter chaos!

I too wish they would do more BWI or whatever the local term is for drunk driving.
Old    walker44            02-10-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
I like the "minor" programs statement. This is just the tip of the iceberg. The poor economy has hurt local government due to the loss of revenue in property and sales tax. Schwarzenegger wants to take 100% of the vehicle registration fee for the state and has said California will no longer pay for social service programs. After all of this, you will be lucky to have police patrolling your streets. BTW, California is bankrupt and has the worst credit rating in the United States. Hasta la vista funding!

(Message edited by walker44 on February 10, 2009)
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-10-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
and they just voted for stricker MORE EXPENSIVE automobile emission and fuel standards...what a joke...and the rats continue to flee the sinking ship...sorry but every state has its problems and Cali is just out of control...40 billion in debt?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
I guess my 2nd post didn't make it up.

As far as the lakes turning into "Death-Race 2009" and lawless running a muck with out cop's I guess it depends on where you boat.
I can't see it making that much of a diffreance at my lake. Some lake's Never see a lake cop.

That said I don't know if Lake Havasu or other popular lakes would be a safe and friendly place durring Spring Break or any 3 day weekend with out cop's so yea I see your point.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
Id say the majority of time the cops are there to clean up the mess afterwards and also as a deterent...how often do they catch people "in the act" versus just taking a report afterward?