Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-26-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
I was winterizing my 2008 X 15 and could not get antifreeze to suck up the ballast tanks with the fake a lake so I thought I would just pour some in through the sensors. When I opened the sensors I noticed that the tanks were a least half full but when I turn the switches to empty they would run for about 10 seconds and shut off and stop draining. How do these work? Is the pump just to start a siphon and then when the boat is moving it will continue to drain out, which would mean that you can not empty the tanks as long as you are sitting still (trailer, lift, etc)? Also I assume it is the same pump that fills them that also drains them but does one pump do all 3 tanks or does each tank have there own pump.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-26-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
you need to re due the timers to stay on longer
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-26-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
how is that done and how long? but does the system still act like a siphon? now I am wondering if my tanks never emptied all season!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-27-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
I also have an 08 X-15 and i never know when they are emptied. I wathc the VDIG and go by that but sometimes its tricky to get the cscreen to even say they are empty. IM on Brackish water so getting as much brackish water out as possible is key to reduce damage from the salt. Having my boat professionally winterized this yr so i will ask if they saw any water in the ballast
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-27-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
edgar, send me a email and i will forward you the easy new instructions to winterize you ballast. did it yesterday and it only took a few minutes to do.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-27-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
email sent, thanks
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-27-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
thanks, that makes sense but I am still wondering if my tanks are fully draining during use. does anyone know how the empty process works? Do my pumps need to run longer as suggested above or does it work like I suggested where the pump starts a siphon and then gravity and forward movement cause the tanks to empty?
Old     (smsbrett)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-27-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
Edgar, from talking to a MC salesman this year as I shop for a boat, I was told the pumps are on a timer. They "know" how long to be on to empty what is in them... but apparently some times they need to be reset. But, no, from everything I was told, there was no siphon action going on.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-27-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
ok, so next year I need to figure out how to re set the timers.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-28-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
the timers empty on a timer and/or when the amps swing they shut down (ie air being pulled). you can empty them at 15 seconds by cutting them to empty then back to off and repeat. it sounds like they are not pumping and you may have bad impellers that will not prime.

to reset the timers, cut the battery switch off for a min. then cut them back on and go fill - off - empty - off - fill - off - empty etc. for 5 times stopping on each position for a second. the light on the switch will blink. 1 blink is 2 min and each additional blink is 30 sec more. 5 blinks would be 2 min plus 3 x 30 sec for 3.5 min. once you are in the program mode (when it blinks) go from off - fill - off and you will add 30 sec each time. go to empty in the same way to take 30 sec off.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-28-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
wow, you would think there would be an easier way like a reset button! thanks
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-28-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
my math skills are bad today. 5 blinks would be 2 min for first blink plus 4 x 30 sec for a total time of 4 min.

you can always hard wire them (which is not easy since you need many relays)
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-28-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
I did catch your math but I hate it when people on here point out the obvious, seems like wasted post.

I may have shorten the timers on accident because I do remember seeing the lights blink however I just thought that meant they were done. Also one time my son left them on empty all night so I wonder if he could have wrecked something.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-28-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
hard wire the pumps its the only way to know for sure when your tanks are empty . did my this year best thing i have ever done
Old     (prostar19)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-29-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
If you will empty your tanks while you are moving with the bow up it will drain all water out of the tanks. It has less to do with the timer and more to do with the pumps. When the get a mixture of water and air the impeller spins more freely and the ballast system thinks the tanks are empty and shuts off the pumps. This is done with current sensors. So run about 15 - 20 mph and you will get all the water out
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-29-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
I assume hard wiring means you have to manually shut them off or they will continue to run?? Not sure that is the best with teenagers!