Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-03-2007, 10:36 PM Reply   
soooooooooooo pumped to see The Vandall back in the sence, dope interview, Im back into wakeboarding just cause of it, can't wait to see what he has in store for the next year, always crazy and impressive
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-03-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
so you are back into wakeboarding because someone else is, not because it is fun, or you want to look cool in front of the chicks?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       04-03-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
wow. what an awesome interview. Thanks for being so honest mate. Live it and love it.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-04-2007, 5:24 AM Reply   
.....seems to me that this interview circumnavigated the real questions.Why did you drop out?Why were you in the gutter?What can you tell other people about your life and how not to end up going down a darker path?
I think its always good to see positive people in life.I wish the interview would have been more motivational and not just the same old questions.
A missed oppurtunity WW.

(Message edited by fumanchoo on April 04, 2007)
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-04-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
"Why did you drop out?Why were you in the gutter?What can you tell other people about your life and how not to end up going down a darker path?"

No offense, but I totally disagree. There is a time and a place for everything, I just don't think this was it. Does it really matter why he was in the "gutter"? I don't think telling other people what you want through has ever helped anyone stay away from certain things. Those who are into certain things, will find it more fascinating with his story and those who would stay away anyways, will point to it as a validation of their already correct choices.

Pointless, really, in my opinion. I think you can tell he's grateful to be alive and that's what is all about.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-04-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
I somewhat agree with Fumanchoo, I would have like to know a little more. Not necessarily all the nasty details, but what happened to get your life turned around. I'm sure those that are hooked up with the WC, know the details. I'm not, so I would have liked a little more. Either way, I hope he has found what he is looking for and pushes forward in a positive way...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
Wasnt it your parents job to do that fumanchoo?

Furthermore if you were an up and coming ripper who wanted some advice about things to look out for on the pro-tour and such, I am sure you could get a hold of some seasoned vets for some personal one on one discussions about it.

I am glad he is back, but this isnt doctor phil.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-04-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
You've got a point and we did what we could to elicit a response on that, but it was not forthcoming. It was obvious that he didn't want to go in that direction. Why? I don't know. Maybe there are some things he wants to keep private. Maybe it's too sensitive a subject for him to talk about. He mentioned that he was working on an interview for one of the major mags, so maybe he was saving it for them.

Whatever the reason, I thought it better to run with what we got rather than have no interview at all. I don't think I'd call it a "missed opportunity." I'm stoked we got to talk to him and learn a little more about a very popular rider that people don't know very well.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-04-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I think the tone of the interview was very telling as he mentioned nothing of his past transgressions or as DW stated he was not willing to go there.It was a very generic interview that only gave props to his sponsers,a few of The West Side riders and lets not forget J.C.......Glad he has found something to live for.Best of luck.
Old    alanp            04-04-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
ted i agree. there was all this talk of jesus but no talk of why. i was disappointed with the interveiw
Old    orgborn            04-04-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
http://perezhilton.com/ its all on there!
Old    bocephus            04-04-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
I'm not sure if it's actually him or not, but here is his myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/vandall187

I think it is him and he has replied to two out of three of my emails recently.

ASK HIM YOURSELF!
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-04-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Nice Mike!!!!Unfortunately nothing on Randall.Perez ROCKS!!
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-06-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
come on guys, thats all personal stuff Im sure only close friends and family should know not the whole world, the fact that he went from the top to the gutter then found God and is back in the sport better then ever, isnt that enough to know, would all you guys want everyone to know all the intimate deails of your lives, I pumped he's even talking about it letting others out there know that if you're in the gutter there's always hope, he's an inspriration to alot of people especially people that have problems and are there or have been there, I should know. you guys are seriously messed up if you talking bad about someone for not getting into details about why they were in the gutter or talking about Jesus but not why he's a born again Christian, thats pretty messed up I think, and coming from me, that doesnt really care about all the religious stuff, bornagain things, Jesus, ect, it looks like some of you people are bagging on others for coming outta the gutter and becoming religious, I dont know, but it seems truly messed up, Im super pumped on The Vandalls return to the sport and I think his interview whas tight
Old     (vandall)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Thanks for the love Dirty!

I appreciate everyone's comments and concerns.

To let you all know what was really crackin with this interview.....This interview was originally for a small magazine that Malibu does every year for their dealers and customers. We all know how conservative boat companies are as well as the wakeboarding community in general. Now I really don't think that families walking into a boat shop to get their first wakeboard boat want to pick up a magazine and read about wakeboarders being hard core drug addicts. Nor would that be beneficial for the selling of Malibu's product. When wake world approached me about publishing this on their page I informed them that I can't spill all the beans and undermine an upcoming interview in one of the mags. They wanted to go ahead with it anyways. I have no problem talking about my past and gettin in to the nitty gritty because it is all a part of my testimony and helps illustrate the life changing power of God. You have to have the appropriate platform though. Sharing my testimony is a big reason why I got back in to wakeboarding. There is however a fine line between sharing past experiences to deter people from taking that path and glorifying an evil lifestyle. The interview clearly stated my suggestion about reading the bible...that is all the advice anyone needs to avoid "going down a darker path".

I really appreciate the opportunity to do the interview as well as everyone's interest.

VANDALL
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-15-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
Well said Vandall! Your riding has been an inspiration to us since you were a kid, now you're giving those who are interested even more. Sounds like a win win for us and you. Good luck.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-15-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Randall, right on Man. I like your attitude and wish you all the success!!

Cheers.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-15-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Right on Vandall,well said!

BTW great choice in music,that Scarface was tight.

remember a couple weeks ago in the backwater you were getting ready to ride and I was holding your handle.

DUDE YOU ROCK!!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-15-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Well said, glad your back and go out and have some fun this year.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-15-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
Vandall - I'm just really stoked to see you back out on the water killing it mate - congrats and thanks!

Can hardly wait to see some of your new footage that is going to be coming out soon.

Would love to see you over in Europe ripping it up once!

Good luck with everything!
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'm with everyone else, I'm stoked you're back Randall.

Really hoping you make it to the MPLS stop of the PWT, but either way just stoked to see you back in the game!