Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Hey guys, been gone for a while... Seems like i've been too busy working on other stuff, and less time on the boat.

I'm about to invest a significant amount of $$$ on the boat's stereo this year. I'm probably going to add:

Wetsounds 485
2 15" L7 Subs
2 1000W RMS Amps (not sure what brand yet)
1 Amp for 485
Polk Audio 650 interior speakers
1 Amp for the Polks
A bigass Cap

Current setup is:

2 Wetsound Pro 80's
Rockford Fosgate 450x4 (bridged, 225w to each Pro 80)
2 "Dual" 10" subs in an enclosed box.
Rockford Fosgate (2 channel, cant remember what size) pushing the subs - those subs are week though.

All thoughts and advice will be considered - so if you tell me to start scrapping equipment, I'm listening. I'm considering selling the RF stuff and going with AudioArc Amps for the Pro80s.

The L7's required about 6 cubic ft for a box... I have a 2004 wakesetter xti - Anyone have any thoughts on how I should do this? Where I should mount amps, etc? I'm concerned about keeping stuff dry.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
You are a little off on the size of the box needed for the subs. They require a minimum of 1.5 cubic ft to a maximum of 6 cubic ft sealed and 3 cu ft min to 6 cu ft max. in a vented or ported enclosure. I have a 15" L7 in a 2.2 cubic ft box and it hits pretty good in my opinion, also that is with 1200 watts going to it.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-05-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
I'd say skip the cap and invest in another battery and/or upgraded alt, but that's just me...i'm in the 'caps are useless' camp :-)
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-05-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
You are on the right track to having a loud system, that will sound good too! I weighed going with 15's and did 12's instead. I would dump all of the old stuff except the Pro 80's. How many interior speakers are you going to have?
Are you limited to 6.5's? I would look at Polk 675's or even an 8 inch for the interiors.
Old     (bullit4888)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
I'd be interested in your pro 80's if your going to sell them
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
cbrown,
I was misinformed, you are right, according to the tech spec at kicker, i can make a smaller box. I am probably going to go with a port. I want decent sound quality but i want it to be loud and shaky!

tony, I currently have the golf cart battery setup (trojans) but am going to invest in some color-topped batteries this year. I have just noticed a lot of 'dimming' when bass hits.

david, only four speakers - I was told that the 6.5's would fit but I had read that you could get the 6.75's but soemtimes require modification. Not sure if i want to go that route.

drew, I'm pretty sure I'll keep the pro 80's and just add a pro485 in the center of the tower. sorry -- I'll keep you in mind if I change my mind though.

So no one seems to think the L7 is a bad setup then? I was looking at L5's but for like, 50 dollars more I can go with a much more powerful sub - and putting the juice to them is not a big deal.

(Message edited by clayton191 on February 05, 2007)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-05-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
arc audio is really nice amps...dont worry about "1000 watts rms".... it doesnt mean anything unless it is a very reputable company (like arc, zapco etc- btw, there are very few true 1000 watts stero amps...the kicker zr1000old school amp is the real deal..

please keep in mind that there are different levels of arc amps... there are big difference between foose, kar, signature, and xxk series (the xxk is very good and the signature is over the top - both are true zeff designs!!!!)

i am a believer in caps and multiple batteries..
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
Nice set up. I can't imagine 2 - 15's. I have one L5 15" running on a Kicker ZX 1500.1 and it slams. I am also running the Wetsounds threesome and I am very happy with the result. I have a Kicker ZX 850.4 running them and they are stupid loud. The shop that did my set up used all Kicker with my boat and I went with their recommendations (they do over 200 boats a year) and are all boat owners. They also sell Arc and focal as well but they like the durablity of the kicker stuff in the boat, same reason you are using the Polk I am assuming. Overall looks like a killer set up. How many cabin speakers are you going to run? I have 6 Kicker RS 65.2 in the cabin and it is a good balance with the 15" and tower. I did put PAC controlers on each amp so I can control the sub level, cabin level, and tower level.

Here is the shop that did my work here in SoCal.

http://www.w4smotorsports.com/

BTW the site take a minute to load because of music in the background

(Message edited by oaf on February 05, 2007)

(Message edited by oaf on February 05, 2007)