Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (lol1585)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-06-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
Both are in awesome shape and equal in price. The tristar is a closed bow and 89 model. The 2001 is a 85 model and both look like they are brand new. Which one would be the better deal and why. Or which would produce a better wake I guess you could say.
Old     (lol1585)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-06-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
or there is a sport nautique that isnt in as good condition. The interior is bad and missing the back seat. but it does come with sacs and a pole. its about 2k less than the other two. I want something that nice and comfortable to be in but that also throws a nice wake.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-06-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
Both the tristar and the 2001 are going to be good boats. I have ridden behind both. I owned a 88 tristar and had very good luck with it.
IMO- the tristar wake is better. I am probably going to get pounded for this but it is my opinion. The tristar is going to take more weight to make the wake nice. Plan on 2000 lbs. With this said it doesn't leave much room for anything besides sacs in the boat. The wake on the tristar has alot more transition that the 2001. The tristar can be a little tricky to drive when you have that much weight in it.

The 2001 is going to take less weight to make a big wake. The wake will be much steeper with little transition it is also a little narrow for my taste. Some people really like these wakes though.

Both are going to be very good boats. I currently have a 97 supersport nautique just so you know that I am not a nautique hater or anything. If you have specific questions on the tristar let me know or you can email me. I had mine for 3 years and put around 500 hours on it.

Here is a pic of the wake from my old tristar. Upload
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-06-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
Holy crap! That wake is beefy! I had no idea how good a tristar could be. I don't care for the looks of them, but maybe I should reconsider my opinion on them.

3rd Coast - don't forget. The MC will have glassed stringers, so no worries about rot. The CC is wood. Make sure you really check out the floors and stringers if you purchase the CC.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-06-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
Stan - any chance you could email me a few more pics of that old tristar of yours?
Old     (lol1585)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-06-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
ya if there is anymore pics email them to me at lol1585@hotmail.com. Thanks
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-06-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
I had an 88 Tristar 190, good sized wake
AND shape with about 1500 lbs. Mine was an open bow so i had a little more space... but still a little cramped, its only a 19 ft boat. They did make a 21 or 22 ft Tristar but they are rare and some had a really "different" open bow seating configuration. It only had a windshield on the driver side... and a seat going down the port side.

2001 will throw a steeper wake, and usually a little bigger, however you will be stepping over bags and people to move around that boat. Second the fact of possible problem with stringers. Not all 2001's have issues but a lot do... again this is a smaller boat.

What year is the Sport? With it being $2k less you could put a new interior in the boat. I would say that IMO this boat will throw out the best wake, i have ridden behind all three extensively. You will also have more room for storage. I am a little partial to this boat as i have one. With this boat being a little bigger than the other two you will also get a better rough water ride.

Old     (lol1585)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-06-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
Im not sure on the year of the sport but I know it is an early 90's model.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-06-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
The sport is bigger, and is probably new enough to have fiberglass stringers and floor and if you have found one at a good deal it may be worth it even with it's interior issues. Some of the sports have the same hulls as the Super Airs.
Old     (lol1585)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-06-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
From what Ive heard its an early 90's model sport nautique that runs good and throws a super nice wake. He has 2 side sacs and one tube sac for the bow. everything for 6k. I think its a good deal but I dont know how much it would cost me for interior work. I was told the interior was in bad shape. Its missing the rear seat and some other stuff. Im gunna go try to look at it this week and possibly run it. If the engine is in good shape I might have me a new boat sitting in the driveway be the end of the week!
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-07-2006, 6:30 AM Reply   
I think $6k is a good deal if it runs good. I was quoted close to $2k a couple of season ago for a complete new interior. I thought that was a little high at the time (the shop, in Dallas, is really good but not the cheapest). Put a tower and some tunes on it and for under 10 grand you could have a really good setup.

For what it worth, I don't know the years but some early 90's nautiques had the swim platform built in and then they went to a removable (teak) platform.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-10-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
I have a 89 tristar open bow, it throws a really nice wake.Then again I am not really too good but, have been behind several different boats.One thing I have noticed is mine with alot of weight is harder to stear.I think most boats are like that.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       03-10-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Stan's tristar was awesome, that wake scared me to death the first few times I rode behind it.

It was totally worth not having anywhere to walk, there was probably 3 feet of open floor space, all in front of the spotter and driver.

Oh, and if you do weight it down, be extra careful stopping! Rollers come right over the back, but again, that wake was outstanding!
Old    low_key_wake            03-10-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
Id pick up that spot tique, unless youre gut tells you otherwise after you see it. I want ont sooooo bad. Thats my dream boat....