Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-10-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
Ok, heres the deal. Last weekend I bought an O'neill Assult Hybrid drysuit (loose on top and form fitting neoprene on bottom) I haven't used it yet and can't decide if I like it. If I want to I can trade it for an O'neill Boost drysuit (all baggy) The question is which is more versitile and is going to be warmer. I live in Colorado and want to start riding soon. Also, we ride alot of high country lakes that don't get above 50 degrees until the end of summer. I want the warmest thing that I can get. Even though the air temp is 70 degrees teh water can still be in the 40s. Any help or advice on this matter would help.

Thanks
Dave
Old     (ldc)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-10-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
I am in colorado as well, and i use the Boost drysuit, its nice to be able to wear some clothing underneath it. i used mine last weekend at Chatfield in 45degree water and i was fine except for my feet. Go with the Boost or http://www.ronscarpa.com/rs/servlet/DrysuitDetail dc
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-10-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for the reply man, we were going to go to Chatfield on Monday but wussed out. Now it's frigid!
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-11-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
I second the vote for the boost suit. The baggy suits are more comfortable plus you can wear sweats more easily underneath. For water in the 40's, you might want to see if you can wear neoprene socks and still fit in your bindings, or get a pair of the new closed toe bindings as your feet will get cold pretty fast...
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2006, 5:43 AM Reply   
Anyone else wanna throw in their 2 cents?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-14-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
get the all baggy, you can layer clothes on if you have to and are more comfortable IMO.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       03-14-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
We ride all year...
Get the bag. You can layer clothes to meet the temps. Dry gloves work the best for me... The neo gloves make my hands too tired to ride long. With the dri gloves you can get liners to wear underneath. I wore mine last weekend without liners... water temps in the 40's.
Try wileyski.com in Seattle.

Try this...17 degrees and riding...

Upload

(Message edited by kirk on March 14, 2006)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
That is absolutely crazy.
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
17 degrees! What about your feet? Aren't they just blocks of ice?
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-14-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
We also have Boosts, and love them. It's nice to be able to put on a layer of fleece underneath. Although we don't ride when there is snow out!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
damn that water looks choppy!!
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-14-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
BARE Ultra Dry's have always worked for us. Bag style and comfy. Price is good too.

Mike
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-14-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
I have to say go with the baggy. I had the neoprene bottom and hated it.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-14-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Dear god that made me shiver, you're nuts Kirk.
I've only used baggy, but like everyone else said, really nice to layer clothes under, then you're still dressed for the temp when you get out of the suit.
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice guys, I will go get the boost this afternoon.

BTW: Kirk, that photo made my balls shrivel in my 70 degree office!
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-14-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
Kirk,

That's hands-down one of the best pictures I've ever seen on wakeworld.

-Steve

(I was gonna say that's one of the 'coolest' pics, but... well.... nevermind)
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-14-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Kirk, snowboard googles are a nice touch. Why's that other board covered in snow? Which one are you? If you're the one standing, you don't look ready for the next pull.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-14-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
i agree, go w/ the baggy.. i have an assault now and love it, but it does affect maneuverability somewhat, however just by itself, it will be a bit warmer....
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-14-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
Go for the Barefoot International ones. Built to take the abuse. And you can layer clothes underneath.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-14-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
David,
I just bought 2 of those O'neill Hybrid Assault dry suits that you are talking about. Take it back and get the Boost. I also have the Boost and it is way, way, way better. The Hybrid is real tight on your lower body especially around your waist. The boost is much easier to put on and take off as well. You can wear clothes under the boost and the Hybrid you really can't, unless you like your digging your board shorts out of your can.

Brannon
Old    akman            03-14-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
My "BOYS" just ran for cover after seeing that picture......
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2006, 10:16 PM Reply   
Dam!!!! and I thought it was cold wakeboarding in water temp of 55 deg air 65 deg here in so cal. That photo makes me want to get my snow board out.
You guys are -----NUTS------
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       03-15-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
That pic was from 2 years ago at the Polar Bear Run. It got down to 14 degrees with wind and snow. The windchill was something like -3 degrees.
Here are some more shots from the run...

Upload

Upload
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       03-15-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload

Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-15-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
Picked up the boost yesterday guys (another $50 bucks) and it fits alot better, now, if I could just get my boat out of the shop. :-)

Thanks for all the input.

Dave
Old    sammc_11            03-16-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
DUDE!!!! That is SO hardcore man.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
Hmmm, note to self... don't ever move to Washington.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-17-2006, 4:55 AM Reply   
Dang ! Cold is one thing with the right drysuit,gloves,booties,head cover etc you caould handle a quick set then jump in a hot tub but that water is horrible !

i would quit wakeboarding if thats the water i had to ride in ,nasty chop...can you say skiski !
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-17-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Anyone know anything about the Gladiator Neoprene Dry Suit? A lot cheaper than the Boost and I can get it off of Amazon. I have a gift cert. I would like to use.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-18-2006, 4:47 AM Reply   
chicago id stay away from that suit unless they have changed them ..i bought one 4 years ago and it started leaking in the center stomach area and crotch in the first year ,i sent it back and got a replacement suit that leaked worse.I rode it the rest of 03 and then forgot to send iot back quickly and when i tried it was one day out of warranty and Overtons wouldnt fix it under warranty..i have tried to fix it myself but ive tried everything to find the hole but there doesnt seem to be one ..it seems as if the pvc coating is breaking down and its seeping through when i crash hard like ater pressure is letting water seep in..

anyway i know four other guys with the model suit having similar problems..

try a search for the Bare suits and alsoi heard good things about the Adrenaline watersports suits both are cheaper then the Oneill but better then the Gladiator ..