Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-23-2011, 5:22 AM Reply   
For those of you using 12ga speaker wire, what are you using to terminate the wire at the speaker terminals? The terminal posts on my speakers has a large terminal, and a smaller one. I have some 12ga quick disconnect connectors, but they don't fit tightly on the smaller terminal. The 14-16ga connectors fit perfectly, but aren't big enough for 12ga wire.

I have access to a professional soldering station and heat shrink blower (work), but I really have no experience soldering...and wouldn't know where to start.

I need to get these speakers connected ASAP...so ordering something really isn't something I want to do right now because of shipping time...

Any suggestions?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-23-2011, 6:00 AM Reply   
Radio Shack sells a couple of different styles of crimp on quick disconnects. Some are the flat 1/4" blade style and they also have some round ones. You could also get some of these at Advance Auto or Pep Boys:
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-23-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
Jeff, that's not what I'm referring to.

I need to attach the end of the speaker wire to the speaker terminals.
Old     (AndrewP)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-23-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
solder.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-23-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Is it hard to do? Is there a tutorial on how to do it? Not a tutorial on just soldering, but soldering the wire to speaker terminals.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-23-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
I have never had a problem using blade quick connects with 12 gauge wire. You can even use them with 10 gauge.
Old     (AndrewP)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-23-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
Soldering will give you the best trouble free connection. Just make sure when soldering that you heat the wire/terminal and get it hot enough before applying the solder. If you heat the solder it will not give you a good joint.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-23-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
Scott, which quick connects do you use? and from where?
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-24-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
SOldering is easy. Use flux core solder and a solder gun on small connections like spkr wires. DO a test to see how much insulation you'll need to strip to keep it from melting. Hold the 2 parts together or crimp togehter lightly and just hold the gun on it until hot enough to "suck in" the solder. For spkr connections, couple drops of solder is all thats needed.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-24-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
My issue was finding connectors the would fit 12ga and also fit tightly on the speaker terminals.

I have all 8 speakers on my desk. One of the guys here at work is going to solder all the 12ga connectors on the terminals and I'll just crimp them when I get home..