Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
Am I wasting my time in thinking of adding a Tower to my Boat?

The reason for my question, the Wake is only 45-50 ft behind my boat.
Beyond that the wake doubles over on itself and becomes very small.

So is this to close to effectively use a tower?

The boat is a Glastron SX195 and it is our first boat.

Here is a picture of the Wake

\image

Thanks for the help

Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-20-2003, 11:00 AM Reply   
no pic

If you have the $$$ for a tower go for it, we ride at like 50-55 ft behind our four winns, it helps us alot id like to think
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
let try the picture again
wake
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
let try the picture again

wake

I can't seem to get this image to Load:

I shrunk it smaller than 700x1000 and it still tells me it is too big.
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   

I can't seem to get this image to Load:

I shrunk it smaller than 700x1000 and it still tells me it is too big.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-20-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
I would be willing to bet that going faster and playing with weight and trim in your boat would allow you to ride farther back.

A tower would definitely be a good investment.

BTW, I think the max width is 400 or 500 on here and there is a max file size too (100KB, I think).
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
one more try, I then I will give up.

wake

this one is 400x533 624kb
Old    rdierolf            10-20-2003, 4:24 PM Reply   
it looks like you can go 5 feet more back. or maybe even 10 if you play around with it. That would put u at about 55-60. Thats 6-65 with a tower, which is about where you should be. I would play around with the speed trim and weight like tacos said
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-20-2003, 7:13 PM Reply   
Add some weight in the back of the boat, run the trim higher and see if it helps the wake- if so repeat!

What speed is that picture at?
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-21-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
That speed was proably 17-18 and the trim must not be half way up because the wake is usally a little cleaner.

Here is a picture at 18-19, with no weight in the boat and only two people maybe 300lbs total.
wake1
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-21-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
i'd see just how clean you can get the wake before plunking down the bucks for a tower. have you thought about a pole instead? any plans on getting a different boat anytime soon? i only ask because i don't think it would be worth it to get the tower if you're going to change boats. and, if you can't get the wake as clean as you'd like, a pole might be better cause you can easily move it to another boat...if you decide to switch.

what size engine in that boat? can it handle any more weight? you might get more bang out of a pole and a fat sac.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-21-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
yeah i ask what engine size is too. we usually go 21-23 mph, so i suggest sacking more and adding more weight if you have the engine or prop to do so.

another big advantage to tower is getting boards up and out of the way.

if i were you i'd also consider perfect pass. perfect pass and a pole would be a huge benefit, for around the same cost as a tower.
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-21-2003, 10:13 AM Reply   
I was hoping to get a few years out of this boat. It’s the right length, fits into my garage, affordable, Etc.. . I figured we would learn as much as we can behind this boat, See if this is something that we really enjoy Long term and then upgrade.

A $1,000 for a Tower vs $35,000 for a boat with a tower.

I have looked at the poles but they just look funny. $400 for a pole that is in the seems to be in the way or $1000 for a tower, it seems like the tower the way to go. I must admit the pole would be much better for Water skiing ( yes I still Ski 20% of the time )

As for Engine Size it is a Volvo Penta, 5.0 220HP and I have changed the prop from 14 1/4inch 21deg. to a14 1/2 19deg still 3 blade. Very strong hole shot, planes very quickly and much easier to hold the speed below 20. Boat is rated to 1275lbs so I could easily put in 750lbs, now I just need to figure out where to put the sacks.

As for how clean the wake needs to be, I’m not sure I even know what a clean wake really is. I have watched some of the Wake boarding boats, I can’t really see much of deference. I have noticed the clean part of the wake seems to be father back.

I’m sure it is one of those things, one tow behind an X-Star, B-52, Malibu and I will sell my boat.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-21-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
i think you will be fine with your boat. i rode behind a '92 chaparral for 9 years before i got my 'bu. unfotunately we couldnt weight the boat much

anyway, you would benefit from a tower. and with a propped 5.0 you should be able to weight it a lot. sounds like you definately have a cost effective wakeboarding solution!
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-21-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
The wake in that second picture looks pretty clean, just needs more weight. Even if you don't buy a tower, go and spend $200 bucks on a top quality rope and handle. You won't regret it.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-21-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
that's the reason i'm recommending the pole. its cheaper but works and will leave money for other important pieces of equip. you can get a rack for the pole, too. towers don't come with 'em.

the tower won't improve your wake, your rope, your speed, and not even the resale too much. the pole and everything else can go with you to another boat if you decide to change.

towers are awesome, don't get me wrong. i had a pole for 2 years before i got a tower and don't ever want to go back.
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-21-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have been thinking about adding Water Sacks like I said before maybe 750lbs. I was thinking 500(250 each side) in the back and another 250 in the Ski locker. Any suggestions on a manufactures of Sacks, and or portable pump?

Yes we are looking new line and handle, “ Accurate lines” not sure on handle
Old    svfara            10-21-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
With sacs in the right places and a tower/pylon you should be able to ride at about 70ft with you boat (22mph range)

I would reccomend equal weight between the back and front. (I used to actually run with slighty more weight in the bow)
Weight in the bow really helps a lot with an I/O

You've got a big enough engine to handle the weight, if you feel the boat having problems getting out of the hole or maintaining speed with the extra weight, a new prop will help tremendously. I ran a 5 blade 21 pitch with a Merc 4.3L EFI(about the same HP as yours) and it had no problem getting going or maintaining speed with 1200lbs of ballast.

As for Tower vs. Pole, Of course I would choose the tower.
But with that said, for the $, I chose a pole + sacs + prop + new rope etc...
A pole gets the job done (just not as convenient)

If you're interested I have my extended pylon for sale as I finally bought a real ski boat w/tower :-)
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-27-2003, 6:34 PM Reply   
Hey All,

Here's a $75 pylon option, very strong. My wake sucks but I'm trying to fool around with placement of sacs. Yeah, pylons don't have the same appeal but for the price...I DID get a spectra mainline and handle and a new board for one of my daughters and I think I'm still under the cost of a tower....
Pylon on Bayliner 21'
Old     (wakeair1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-04-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
Chris,
We have a few towers out there on Glastron 195's and our customers are very happy with the out come. Check out www.wakeair.com Every tower is custom made to match the specfic boat. A Custom tower is the only way to go on a boat like yours. Let me know how I can help.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-04-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
If $$$ is the driving factor than add lots of weight, get new gear and look good at least, that was my strategy for years.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-05-2003, 12:16 AM Reply   
Youve got a 19' boat and it is only rated to 1275 lbs, you also should opt for the 4 blade prop or since merc props now come with the interchangeable hub look into a "high five" with the hub for the volvo. Tower is for more then just a better pull, it is to get your boards off the floor, place for tower speakers, etc. Mess with the wake though cause if you cant clean it up and make it as big as you want you will be disappointed in the whole package when your done spending 1000-? on a tower and your other mods.
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
I the last trip out I had about 550 pounds more weight in the boat than normal ( Wife’s
Parents and brother) plus my family (Wife and 3 kids). I guess we had around 1,100 in the boat (900 with me out boarding). Ooh my god, what a difference a few pounds make. First time up I was shocked to see a much larger and clean wake, then I look back at the wake to see was bigger and cleaner another 10-15 feet back. Then I jumping the wake and landed way out in the flats. So I added another segment or rope, this was by far most fun I’ve had yet. Ooh I forgot kids, they also enjoyed the bigger wake, but they were a little intimidated by the size.

I was Very happy with the wake, now I just need to figure out how to get that much weight in the Boat all the time.

Fat Sacks?? Any recommendations. On each side of Engine is a large space under the engine compartment, but All sacks I see are to long. I did see that “Lets Go Ride” has a Slim 100lbs so maybe 1 in each corner and 350lbs in the ski locker. But then what kind of Plumbing project am I looking to fill them all. 1 sack sure seems a lot easier to fill, so would 1 – 500lbs in the ski locker work?

(Bob) what is a “HIGH FIVE” is that a 4 blade prop. The New three blade (14 1/2 19deg) I switched to seems to have plenty of pull.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-05-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
Chris its all about surface area. The high five is a 5 blade prop but id recommend you keep an eyeout for one on ebay since they are way expensive. I have a 600 that fits easily in my ski locker (could be longer but not larger around), think its a BG or something like that(from bartswatersports). I also have 4 X 250 lb sacks but have only run that much weight twice (im thinking i need a 17" pitch for that much weight and the extra load on the outdrive isnt cool either). Start looking into PP since it will be the next option (many say before the tower).