Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2008, 5:11 AM Reply   
Hi! I've been wakeboarding for 3 years and I recently started wakeskating. It is really great fun, so I think I'll continue both wakeboard and wakeskating. I am a cable rider though I do some boat riding few times in a season. Basically I am a novice in wakeskating. My question is: what size wakeskate do I need and what difference I would expect? I am 176 pounds and 186 cm tall. Griptape or foam? Wood or foam? Thanks for help!
Old     (wakelover04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-22-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
read up on decks and pick which ever one you want stay with a 43.if u want to wood and grip like a skateboard then go with it if you want foam go with it. the only board that comes to my mind that is composite with grip is integrity.but most composite they are lighter then wood but most have foam tops.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-22-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
you can always switch foam out for grip.

you can ride any size you want. smaller boards offer you more control while bigger boards allow you to have more room for error when landing sketchy. 41" is the middle size that anyone can ride. just make sure the tails are wide enough so your feet dont hang off and catch the water while edging.

generally smaller boards are better for tech style tricks while longer boards are more suited for wake to wake riding. for example nick taylor's new deck is 38.65" and brian grubb's smaller size is 45", but nick taylor still kills it wake to wake. boards sizes have been going down a lot lately.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
I'm 6'1'' 190-195lbs and ride a 43" it seems to fit me pretty well
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2008, 1:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice! How about 2008 Hyperlite Catalyst 2.0 107cm/42.13in? Looks good. What is this "Lock" used for (catalyst 2.0 2007 has it)? I do not need wake to wake because I ride on cable mostly though there are some obstacles (kickers, sliders).
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
I've never heard anything bad about the 2.0 I'm kinda confused on the lock too I mean I think it just acts as a fin but I really dunno
Old     (mnwake45)      Join Date: May 2005       04-24-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Assuming you guys are talking about the Byerly Lock fin (I haven't seen much about the new Catalyst but I know this fin has been around for a while) I think the idea behind it is that since it has that big flat part on the back side it allows you to 'lock in' tail slides and that kind of thing. At least that's what I remember reading about it back when it first came out.

While I'm posting in this thread, I'm 6' and about 160lbs. I am probably going to try to build a skate this summer so it sounds like something between 41 and 43 would be good for me? Also does anyone know what normal widths are for the tip/tail and the center of the board? Or do I just need to make sure it's big enough so my feet don't drag?
Old     (samhill)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-29-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
I would get either an Oak or Sattelyte.

www.strictlyskates.com
www.boardstop.com

These are both good shops to get one from.
Check them both out and compare prices.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-29-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
I really like my New bigfoot. Might be a little big for for but they have others in there lineup. That would be perfect for you.

Decent price, Hand Shaped, Feels good to ride.
They are going to have some new stuff comeing out in august.

I would recommend grip and wood. I hear good things about oak skates. Dont waste your time with a catalyst.

My .02