Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-08-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
I have an 88 suburban diesel, non-turbo, that i bought for 1500 dollars. Its realllllly slow especially getting on the highway and going up hills on the highway. Anyone got any tips on making a diesel faster other than putting a turbo in it?
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
High stage injectors. Look them up for your make and model. Add a AFE cold air intake and a AERO muffler
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-08-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
The big block gas engine should bolt in... Oops that was supposed to be my inside voice.

Actually you might want to get a Leak Down test on the engine and see if there are any problems that show up. Some mechanics can do that. It tells more than a compression test. Also you would want to check that the injectors were clean and that there are no restrictions in the exhaust.
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
i would look around on http://www.thedieselplace.com for ideas. There isn't a whole lot you can do with out a turbo cause you can't get enough air for the amount of fuel you put.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-08-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Art- Send a 454 or a 460 my way and ill gladly drop it right in. This was a hand-me-down-style purchase from my girlfriends grandfather.

Devon- I will check out that website. Thanks.

Needle- Cold air intake is a good, quick idea
Old     (spencerwakeside)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-08-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Its going to be hard to get more power with a naturally aspirated diesel motor. I would straight pipe it, help it breath with a new intake and get new injectors or just buy a dodge.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-08-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
Diesel engines make almost no vaccum, which is why making them run requires a turbo.
ATS used to make a turbo kit for the old 6.2 that really woke it up. You might check and see if it is still available if you plan on keeping it for awhile it would be worth the $.
To the best of my knowledge, none of the people that make neat stuff for the late model diesels do anything for the 6.2, other than the turbo kit I spoke of.
The injection pump on that engine is it's heart, brain, and soul; finding a guy who really knows how to time the pump will go a long way to maximizing the performance of the engine.
If you can find a way to plumb a ram air system into the factory air cleaner, it might help, but not enough to give you the help you are looking for.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-08-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
Ok, Eric, it's in the Mail. I even put on two stamps...

}
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
http://www.o-f-i.com/index.php?pid=14

Army dad correct me if i'm wrong but it might just be easier to order a new one huh?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
Propane injection
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
I second the propane idea, I added to my Superduty... good things, VERY good things. Get the kit and then find somebody to turn up your injection fuel pump and you should notice a decent increase in power. If your gonna hold onto it for awhile, go the turbo route. It will be more than worth the $.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2007, 4:50 AM Reply   
im going to try and find a used turbo. I found a guy on craigslist with a used 6.2L and turbo for 500 bucks. Depending on the condition i might just buy the turbo from him. Other wise im going to look around to try and get a turbo
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine has propane on his Dodge 3500 and WOW !!! it's badass
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Super Unleaded it will HAUL ASS for about 60 seconds.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-09-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
get in touch with ATS or banks they both make kits for that motor. you are kinda limited its never going to run with a Cummins or powerstroke to be honest.
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-09-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
check heathdiesel.com, they have a bunch of products for older gm vehicles but consider:
injectors
chip
intake
downpipe
full exhaust
big ass intercooler
deffinetly gauges to watch all your temps
glows
maybe a shift kit
injection pump
lift pump

just to name a few

(Message edited by pilot_ryder on October 09, 2007)
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-09-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
Needle ferry yes, it would be, but honestly I don't know if there are new pumps available.
I had a 6.2 powered '83 Chevrolet 1 ton crew-cab 2wd dually. It was a slug. The injection pump quit, and a guy here locally turned out to be a real guru, putting a rebuilt on for me and doing some little tweaks to it to help a bit.
I have driven a 6.2 with a ATS turbo kit on it, and the truck made about 16lbs of manifold pressure. The truck was a 3/4 ton 4x4 with an automatic, and it was a night and day difference.
Eric if you can get a whole kit off of a running engine, that is fine, but buying a used turbo with no way to tell what shape the bearings and seals are in is a real crapshoot.
You'd be better off going with a new setup from ATS rather than buying somebody elses junk and depleating your wallet in the process of trying to piece together something that will work.
Propane injection with no turbo and no way to increase fuel is not a good idea. The 6.2 has no ECM, none of that stuff. This is a mechanical injection system, not electronic. no place for a chip or any of the typical late-model plug and play mods.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-10-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
swap in a cummins turbo diesel!
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Eric:
Depending upon what you want to do witht he truck, I would look at re-gearing it. When you are looking at a finite amount of power, perhaps utilizing that power at the RPM range that you want is the answer.
The old 6.2's would be a great retrieve/launch vehicle to leave at the lake with REALLY low gears in it.