Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-03-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Ronia,
Any luck yet?
I have been looking at the Supras but it seems as if they are having a bad run.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
If there are any boat dealers out there... I would stay clear of Bob... don't sell him a boat... unless you are totally desperate to sell a boat.

He has troubles reading the easily read discussion board... imagin him trying to read the small print on a limited warranty certificate...

Hahahaha...

Go BOB go!!!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-03-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
My $0.02

1. I would never post something like this on WW before fully vetting the situation with my dealer/manufacturer.

That said, this puts Skiers Choice in a difficult situation, even if they want to do the right thing. It sets a precedent that you can disregard the warranty transfer procedure but still expect the warranty to stay true. In general most hull manufacturers will fix hull integrity issues for years beyond the written warranty. I know of at least one Mastercraft that was replaced because of hull deficiencies when it was well beyond the warranty period (back in the 80's on a 70's boat).

Skiers Choice is a manufacturer that I trust, I would not have an issue considering the purchase of a new or used Moomba or Supra tomorrow. I expect they will offer Ronia a reasonable solution to this difficult situation. I would also expect the solution to include a requirement that she does not disclose the details of the solution on WW.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
I am there with Mikeski... I wish all boat dealers and manufacturers would read these discussion forums...

Then they could compile a black list for customers who don't address problems in a professional manner...

Title of this thread... IF THIS WAS YOUR BOAT... WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Well common sense should prevail.

Address the issue both written and verbally with the dealer/manuafacturer.

If you don't like their answer... ask the questions why and have them describe in writing.

Then find out what your options are.

Do some homework... find something that will work.

Then instead of being a nagging pain in the a$$ customer.. you become a satisfied customer by persuing a complaint in a more professional manner whom others are willing to work with.
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2007, 5:20 AM Reply   
Kyle ,
If you were able to read the very first post.
Ronia Stated
My factory told me they would not warranty/fix the hull but wanted to offer me a "good will gesture" to keep me happy as a customer.

That would mean that she has already contacted SC

In a later post she said
The SC guy I talked to specifically said he wasn't going to do anything about it and he's sorry.

Then in another post someone named RICK was a real "Standup guy"and posted a message that said "Bla Bla Bla Im glad you are not the original owner because if you were I would have to find another way around the fact that we built a bad product Bla Bla Bla"

You must learn to read Kyle, It will set you free. And I don't consider Costco a boat dealer. But I have heard that they were fixing to pick up the SC line.
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-04-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Sell it!
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-04-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
fix it and sell it, move on.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-04-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
How many times do we get to see the Epic boat getting a jump start? Can we expect to see this on every post? Man i cant wait.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-04-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
So I guess what you are saying Bob... you are just like Ronia and feel this is the best way to deal with an issue. Good luck to both of you...

I have read the post. I think you should re-read my post. I stated that a person should receive confirmation of all discussions in writing and then persue action from there... not just rant on a public forum. Try and resolve and be persistent.

The second you come on here and rant about an issue and do not disclose all of the facts... makes people look unprofessional.

If I built a product... I would be the same...

If those blisters were caused by misuse... beaching the boat... damaging the gel coat.. etc... it could be a number of things... but if you are not the original owner.. you don't know the history...

If it was purchased through a reputable and authorized SC dealer... and thouroughly inspected.. and then the warranty was transferred properly... I don't think SC would have any problem honoring a warranty.

You can go buy any car with a 10 year warranty... but if you are not the original owner.. and you have no idea what the history of the car was... how do you expect someone to warranty something that has been mistreated.

Like I said... when buying a boat.. do your homework... When ever I sell one of my boats... I go through everything with the prospective buyer... give them full documented history.. and we contact the dealer and manufacturer directly to see what is and isnt transferable so the new buyer doesnt have any surprises... (in writing!)

Now you tell me... is that too much work for someone to do when dropping down a large sum of money?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-04-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
One other thing.... did Ronia read the Hull Warranty wording? Most boats I see.. the Hull Warranty is transferable.. one it has been inspected and a fee is paid.. but I may be wrong.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-04-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Ok here is an update: I did receive an email from Rick Tinker stating that I will be hearing from a regional manager regarding my boat.

I have received an email from the regional manager requesting information about my boat including where I purchased. He told me he would be calling me shortly. I replied to his email with the information he requested. Two weeks went by and I haven't heard from the regional guy. Yesterday I sent him another email asking him if he received my original email. He replied: "he has been very busy selling boats these last two weeks. He is looking into the history of my boat but Supra feels the blistering problem has nothing to do with them (the manufacturer). He has expressed splitting the cost with me to have it fixed at a Supra dealer, however there seems to be no dealers in my area with on-site glass repair."

So there we stand.

Also, to answer someone's question from the post: No one from Supra has actually looked at my boat/fiberglass. It has all been done through email and pictures.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-04-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
GUYS! Again, I purchased the boat from a dealer!!!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-04-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
The hull warranty specifically says the hull has a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY. However, the warranty also states the Gel Coat has a one year warranty.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-04-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
If you purchased the boat from a dealer, then it sounds like that where you need to focus your energy. Obviously the dealer didn't understand the protocol of transferring a warranty or you'd be in a better situation right now.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-04-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
I am assuming these are direct quotes and not an interpretation of an email the rep from SC sent you.

I don't like these quotes
"No one from Supra has actually looked at my boat/fiberglass. It has all been done through email and pictures."
I would be upset if they didn't physically look at the boat and gave you a definitive answer. I believe they would/should want to know of a potential defect with their line.

"Two weeks went by and I haven't heard from the regional guy. Yesterday I sent him another email asking him if he received my original email. He replied: "he has been very busy selling boats these last two weeks."

If I personally left any customer in limbo for two weeks I would be out of a job. EVERY customer is important and time is money. If any of you don't think time is money think about how much your boat payment is each month, multiply by 12 and divide that by 365. This will be your daily costs just to have the boat.

"He is looking into the history of my boat but Supra feels the blistering problem has nothing to do with them (the manufacturer)."

'He is looking into the history' tells me that this is on his to-do/doing list. How can he state that the blistering problem has nothing to do with the manufacturer without definitive research?

It sounds like you are on the bottom of the proverbial Totem pole when it comes to getting resolution.

I do think that it is good of them to try to split the costs of the repair. On paper you are out of warranty and there is no way of denying this. I would get estimates from different }gelcoat shops to keep the repair at an honest cost.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-04-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
Virtually every boat now a days has a LIMITIED LIFETIME WARRANTY however if you actually read the warranties and not just the bold print every manufacture has something written in regarding gel coat and blistering. Your limited lifetime warranty is a STRUCTURAL warranty that covers Hull, Deck, and Stringers not Gel Coat which is cosemetic. The majority of Manufactures do not cover the gel coat as long as other parts on the boat and typically are not transferable ie Correct Craft's gel coat warranty is 3 years while the rest of the boat is covered for 5 and Malibu's is 2 years while the rest of the boat is covered for 3 years.

To me this does not reflect bad on SC. Straight from Supra's owners manual states that gel coat is covered for One year from the date of purchase by the original owner. There for this problem occured 2 years out of warranty, why should Supra be held responsible when it specifically states how long the parts are covered?
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-05-2007, 5:07 AM Reply   
People can post on this all day\night long.

Bottom line is if they feel it was caused by other reasons like misuse\sitting in water to long, ect. They are not going to warranty it nor should they. It does suck and i would be up set to but if they are willing to split the cost with you that is very reasonable.

Good luck with it and how far are you from a dealer that does glass work?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
TR - I completely agree with you which is why I posted this thread in the first place. SC and customer service doesn't exist to me.

BIG E- I am a good 4hrs away from any dealer. I don't know if the one I am thinking of does glass work.

The fact that NO ONE from Supra has looked at my boat is very bother some to me also. I called my local dealer regarding the subject and he told me the only thing he would do it take pictures and send to Supra. He said since the blistering is where the trailer bunks lay, I might as well just take the pictures myself and send them to him. That is what I did. After two weeks, I never heard from anyone and had to get back in touch with the dealer and Supra myself.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-05-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Whats the story on the big crack on the side/bottom of the boat in the first pic?

(Message edited by psudy on July 05, 2007)
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-05-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
I am confused. If you didn't transfer the warranty why should SC do anything at all for you? You screwed up, admit it, learn from it, and move on. The only person to blame is yourself...............
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-05-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
As much as I feel bad for you on this, I would have to side with SC. Like Rick said, if you did not follow the procedures to transfer the warranty, then it does not apply. Pretty much any boat manufacturer will have the same policy.

That said, I have a Moomba Mobius and SC is always going to be one of my top choices when buying a boat. My dealer is a lot closer to me though, and it the best dealership I have ever worked with on anything (car, boat, motorcycle, etc.) and I love working with them. (waterski boats dallas)

I hope you get it all worked out and I am sorry to hear about the problems you have.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-05-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
Whats the story on the big crack on the side/bottom of the boat in the first pic?

WHY WON'T YOU ANSWER THIS QUESTION????

Is it because you actually don't take care of your boat, and answering this would make your arguement obsolete??????????
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-05-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Why don't you just ask nicely and not assume... or call people out?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-05-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Its been asked numerous times, and she never answers it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-05-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
man as this thread goes on i think ronia is really hurting all chances of any help..... at this point if i was SC i would say take a hike, maybe earlier i would have helped, but you continue to sling mud and say you won't look at SC anymore anyway. THE BOAT IS OUT OF WARRANTY!

you also said you are dissapointed that SC has not come and look at your boat and i think it was the same sentence you said your are 4hrs away from a dealership and too lazy to take it to them.... should they fly someone to you?

sorry, but at the beginning of this thread i could feel for you and thought it was big for SC to say they would help you.... you have taken this too far... you are hurting your own cause...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Just fix your damn boat and move on...
Start another post... "How do I fix my boat?"

-Grab some sand paper of various grits.
-White gel coat... if you dont have a sprayer.. then you will have lots of sanding.
-Inspect your bunks on your trailer and see if you have screws or anything like that scraping the bottom and making your gel coat crack, blister, etc...

Its an easy fix... I would be pi$$ed if the boat was brand new... and I was the original owner... but I think it is impossible to determine how the boat was treated in it previous life.

Have you talked to previous owner? Original dealer... etc etc etc... Have you done some homework...

I think this forum is going to eliminate any chance of getting some help in the way it was conducted.

TR - when you look at customer service... there are various things to consider... yes I agree that someone should be in contact with a customer.. though the problem may not be resolved in short notice... but it is boat buying season.. so I can imagine a dealer focussing on the sale of boats over someone who has gone above and beyond trying to black ball a manufacturer.

Adn you are exactly correct.. time is money... I am sure the dealer feels the same way... If they have 20 boats with pending sales.. you can have 20 people walk away happy with a brand new boat.. or lose those sales to make someone else happy whom is going to cost you money now and into the future...

That doesnt make things right... but unfortunately... it is sometimes how life is...

Anyone in the sales/service industry has had to fire a client in their life.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-05-2007, 11:23 AM Reply   
I find it hard to understand what the problem is. The boat is out of warranty, even if it was transferred.

It doesn't really matter if it is abuse or a defect, it is out of warranty.
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
Ronia,
Any luck yet?
What are you planing to do?
I hope you had another boat to use for the forth.
Old     (msutoad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-05-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
I did not have the stress crack, but I had the blisters in the exact same location on my 04 Launch SSV, and Supra warrantied/repaired my boat.

That being said, I bought the boat new, and it was under warranty.

It is very unfortuneate your boat is not under warranty and that the paperwork is not in order to get it covered in any sort of fashion.

Good Luck

(Message edited by msutoad on July 05, 2007)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-05-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
raise insurance, lower deductable, go "hit a rock" and bam fixed real cheap
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
Diggs- I would have gladly driven my boat 4hrs to the dealer, but the dealer told me not to bother. He specifically told me to leave it and take the pics myself. I don't mean to bash SC here. It isn't going to help my case to post here (I know that). But I believe this is a manfacture defect and I started the thread to see what others thought. Basically it seems to be 50/50 (for and against SC). The thread is going on so I am trying to answer people's questions.

Paul- I was told from a glass repair man that the crack under my boat is a stress crack. However, I am not disputing the fact that it could have been caused by hitting a log or something. Not from neglect, but because when you're out on the water, anything is possible. I am also not expecting SC to fix the crack - I am not crying about the crack - and I probably never should have posted to crack picture, but I did because a glass repairman told me it looks to be a stress crack. Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier, but if you read previous threads, I mentioned I didn't care about the crack.

I am sorry that this thread is going on and on. SC has contacted me and hopefully we will split the cost of the repair and move on. I have learned a valuable lesson here and consider the price I have to pay for the repair "stupid tax". But in my opinion, warranty or not, I still don't believe a 3 year old boat should blister this way. Maybe others think its perfectly normal. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I have learned that other SC owners of the same model year have experienced the same blistering under the bunks, so in my opinion, again ... I think SC had some sort of gel coat problem in my model year.

If I had a thread like this to read before I bought my boat, maybe things would be different for me now.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. PEACE!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2007, 9:12 PM Reply   
Diggs -
PS: I never said I was DISAPPOINTED no one from SC looked at my boat, I just said "no one from SC looked at my boat". Someone specifically asked the question.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-06-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
read again...
"The fact that NO ONE from Supra has looked at my boat is very bother some to me also."

bother some = dissapointed......

again sorry to keep re hashing this..... settle it and move on.....
cheers and sincerely good luck to you. you and everyone that has ever worked with SC knows that the will do whatever they can to make you whole. at this point it is not their responsibility to do so, so you should be pointing to positive attributes of SC instead of negative.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-06-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
Fair enough. Thanks for answering.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-06-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I do not understand if you are not concerned about the BIG crack in the boat, then why are you concerned about the blisters. Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't the crack be more of a concern than the blisters? Not trying to be argumentative.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
Jim, I am concerned about the crack. I meant I am not concerned about fighting SC to fix the crack.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-06-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
Call Ryanxstar he can fix it!!!!
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-08-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
Ronia,
Im sorry but by the looks of Tinker bells post it looks as if SC is not going to step up and make the repairs on their defect. If so many people have complained about this same issue it looks as if they would make a recall.
I wonder what this is going to do to resale on used SC products?
Old     (tpyle)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-08-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
This thread has been a very interesting read...yes I am Supra owner however I have been reading this thread from the standpoint of my profession. I deal with warranty everyday on equipment that "moves the country". Warranty is a legally binding document between a manufacturer and the customer. It is black or white what can and can't be covered and for how long. However, policy or goodwill is a different issue. All these stories about manufacturers repairing/replacing something after the warranty has expired is being done thru policy. Policy can range from 100% participation from the manufacturer to some kind of split with the customer. As in this case Supra has elected to share participation with Ronia. If I was in Supra's position I would do the same. To say that there are so many complaints there should be a recall is not the issue. Most recalls are saftey related. IF Supra has had an issue with this I would be willing to bet that they have made similar policy/goodwill gestures. To refer to Mr. Tinker as "Tinker bell" just because he has accuratley stated what SC is legally bound to do per their warranty statement is childish. I hope that you have a different attitude if your boat is ever in need of repair that warranty won't cover and you are seeking some help as goodwill is not black or white but very gray. Attitudes go a long way with goodwill.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-08-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
"I wonder what this is going to do to resale on used SC products?"

You're kidding me, right Bob?

"Boating industry news flash, Ronia Nash's blistering predicament on a used out-of-warranty Supra causing unprecendented downtown in the used SC market.....more to come!"

Get real Bob!!!!
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
Yeah, this is gonna just kill resale value. So, get out NOW! Cut your losses and sell me a used GG 24SSV cheap!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-08-2007, 10:24 PM Reply   
read bob (lotoftime)'s posts...... think there might be another motive here?

bottom line is none of us know enough about this to pass judgment.....
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
All I was saying is that if they refuse to take action for faulty products how many of us are going to rush out and purchase one?

And how many Wakeboarders do you think read this site and never post?

I bet someone has a count on how many times this site get visited.

If I was Ronia I would be posting it on every site I could find until I got satisfaction.

If You look at the profile of the people that are not supporting Ronia's claim of foul play the vast majority of them are in SC boats.

Im sorry guys but a 3 year old boat should not blister, wet bunkers or not. we never take our boats out of the boat house so they stay on wet bunkers all the time and NEVER have we seem a blister on many brands of boats NEVER
This is a problem in the manufacturing process.
There can be no other excuse. I have seen post that blamed wax on boat. Why would we want to wax our boat.

Then there have been post from SC owners that said they had the same problem, and it was repaired by SC, So they know that they have a problem, and have chosen not to do anything about it.

Maybe we need to do a poll of how many people would consider a SC after reading all that this young lady has been put through.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-09-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
bob and my point is we have no idea what may have been on the bunks. do you? are you the old owner of the boat? then you don't know enough about it either. that is all i have said.
if it is a manufacturers defect then yes it should be fixed if it is under warranty... if it is not under warranty then it is the discretion of the manufacturer. it has nothing to do with if it was SC, MC, Malibu, CC or anyone. i am loyal to SC cause they have treated me right, but when i get a new boat each year i shop all brands and will do the same thing next year...
my other point was dragging a reputable company name through the mud is not going to help the cause. at this point it is an uphill battle and no reason to make that hill steeper.... handle it in a professional matter
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-09-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
I disagree with you also Diggs. What could you possibly do to trailer bunks to make the gelcoat blister???

SC may be a reputable company to you. I bought the boat thinking they were a reputable company also, but in my case, I feel I am getting screwed. If it is a defect, then it should be fixed even if it's out of warranty. It's a defect. Who would buy a boat from a company who sells boats with defects but doesn't take care of fixing them later on when the defect comes to light? I think someone used the example of Firestone in a previous post.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
Well Ronia I sympathize for you big time...
The boat is out of warranty so I understand the majoritys stance on that SC doesn't HAVE to do anything. I also understand that now that this is public... if this problem pops up elsewhere out of warranty and people see that SC fixed yours, how many others are gonna want this somewhat special treatment(that was me playing devils advocate).
However, I've read on dozens of occasions of SC being a stand up company. I still believe they are to an extent and only when they HAVE to be. IMO they're no better than any other boat manufacturer as I see they'll treat a used owner like a used owner, which is definitely less than stellar. I also understand you bought if from a dealer, that being the case the dealer should be all over this if they want you to purchase another boat from them again not to mention SC. I just don't understand this. It seems very unusual for SC. But I think Ronia is getting screwed as well. The dealer should have atleast fully checked both boat and trailer to see if something was up with either. BEFORE THE SALE

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on July 09, 2007)
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-10-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
Ronia. I only have one question. Lets say you buy a nice car. It't three years old and has a nice perfect paint job. You go on vacation for a week and come back to see that some one egged your car and it sat in the heat and sun while you were gone. Everyone knows what eggs do to paint so it peals off and ruins your paint job. Is that a defect? My point is not everything is a defect or a piece of crap because something goes wrong. Its likely something was applied to the bunks or boat that should not have either by accident or purpose.
And Bob you sound somewhat intelligent try to use your brain and stop being so childish.IMO
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-10-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
A few people have been making mention of not knowing how the boat had been taken care of prior to Ronia purchasing the boat. I have to point out that this was written early on (by Ronia)...
"I don't know the first owner personally, but I know the owner was a promo guy and gets a new boat every season so he didn't have the boat for too long to begin with."
I would think that this 'promo guy' would need to adhere to strict guidelines per the manufacturer as far as taking care of the boat. With that being said i really don't know if this person would take care of the boat the same as a person with the mindset of keeping it for 5, 10, or even 20 years.

Points of interest (both pro and con for Ronias case)
1. The boat is 3 year old with blisters. Would you be upset if this was your personal boat that you paid $35k or more for? Take the warranty factor out of the equation. If you looked down at the hull of your 3 year old boat and saw blisters I am fairly confident anyone would be upset.
2. Another poster wrote "I had the blisters in the exact same location on my 04 Launch SSV... and Supra warrantied/repaired my boat " He didn't say if this was in the 1 year warranty period. Even if it was in the warranty period I would like to know if this is a 'known' issue. Ronia wrote 'What could you possibly do to trailer bunks to make the gelcoat blister???'
Maybe the gelcoat had issues from the factory, Maybe the mold had some type of contaminant, maybe the carpeted bunks had something sprayed on them, maybe the bunk wood had some chemical leeching into the gelcoat.
2a. Are there companies that can do a chemical analysis on the blisters? I don't know if this would clear anything up but you may get an answer.
3. For those that do not think that this will hurt general resell value of the SC line... think again. For the average uninformed non-WW reader this is probably not an issue however there have been posters above that have stated they would not buy SC. Even if it is just a few people that will not buy you have potentially weakened your target audience. Simple supply and demand rule.

How about this? Would anyone on WW buy this boat today with the blister situation. Let's say the crack (which we should treat as a seperate issue) is fixed but not the blisters. Would you pay the going market rate for a hull with blisters vs. a hull without? Maybe Ronia could get lucky and sell it to someone that would paint (vs. gelcoat) the bottom. Anyone want to make an offer?

4. Something/Anything could have happened while in storage.

One last question what is the charge for transferring the warranty. I do realize the blisters would be still be out of the 1 year window...

I believe this is a good exercise for potential buyers and owners. As someone mentioned earlier 'do your homework'.

Todd, the car/egg analogy does not work. I could be wrong here but if you had an nice paint job you would most likely have the vehicle insured to cover vandalism. Boat insurance does not cover blistering as far as I know... thanks now I have more homework to do?

(Message edited by Biz on July 10, 2007)
Old     (msutoad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
Todd S-

I guess I must have put something on my bunks and so did my buddy who also has an SSV. Mine is 04 and his is 03, and we BOTH had blistering ONLY where the bunks are and we both were the only owners. I would not make such a comment that something was on the bunks. SC did infact fix both of ours. Mine was still in the warranty period and my friends was not, and SC still stepped up and took care of him. With the boat being out of warranty if SC does infact split it, she should be happy, and I think she is consindering the circumstances.
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-10-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
Jason and TR, your right its not the best example..but I am just trying to say that many good product fail for many reasons and not always because of poor manufacturing. There very well maybe a prob with that year or batch. That is what a warr is for.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-10-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
"If this was your boat, what would u do?"

Quit crying, they have tried to help you but nothing short a of a new boat will satisfy you. Even then you would tell everyone not to buy one of their boats. SC can not win with people like you, and if I was them I would tell you where to go.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-10-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Rick if you are following this thread I want to tell you I love your boats, my 07 gg is now for sale and I can not wait to get my 08. What color will the 08 gg boat be?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
TRADE IT IN AND BUY AN EPIC!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-10-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
Supra's are great boats, you just can't get them wet.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-10-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
TR - Thank you for the post. You make a lot of sense.

supra for me - How has SC tried to help me?

And I still don't know what people can put on their trailer bunks to make a boat blister. Come on guys, tell me what you're using on your bunks and why.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
Hey Ronia, why not just get the boat fixed by any fiberglass shop... then clean it up and sell it... Joe will have an Epic for sale in Idaho in a month or so.. go buy it!
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-10-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
Ronia did I not read that they agreed to split the cost of repair? That to me would qualify as trying to help.
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-11-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
I have owned 5 Skiers Choice boats over the last 10 years and I'd buy another one, and will. This post would not deter me.

Sean
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
ryan, that is what i thought i read also. they agreed to split the cost of repairing a boat that was out of warranty.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-11-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
I said SC has contacted me (because of this thread) and HOPEFULLY we will split the cost. SC is trying to find a dealer who will repair it for less than usual, but they don't seem to be having any luck finding dealers who repair glass on site so I'm not sure what the end solution is going to be. I'm still waiting to hear.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
A 3 year old hull should never blister from wet bunks!. If by odd chance it does, I would hope the company would step up and take care of the problem.

I will not buy a SC boat now and I was considering it. I even went and test drove them. I also looked at a used 2005 Supra with spider cracks all over the top (around 5k to fix)and this particular boat was already a replacement for the owner as the original boat also had spider cracks all over it. The owner had it with SC and was switching brands.

Long time lurker first time poster

edit; looked into Mastercrafts warranty and they have lifetime gel coat warranty if due to problems during maufacturing. Did not find any warranty with gel coat with CC, Malibu, or SC.
(Message edited by waterfreak on July 11, 2007)

(Message edited by waterfreak on July 11, 2007)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-11-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
ENOUGH OF THIS THREAD!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Upload
GET THE DAMN THING FIXED OR TRADE ITUpload
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-13-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
Ronia,
Any luck on working this out?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-13-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
Still waiting to hear back from SC.
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-19-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
Wow,
I figured they would have stepped up by now.
I would hire an attorney, You obviously have a defect and even if they don't repair the boat the court case will cost them sales.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-19-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
I will keep that suggestion in mind Bob.