Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
I'm doing a sprint triathlon in June. This will be my first triathlon since I was about 12, doing kid's events. I'm 31 now. My question is what are the basics that I need. I don't mind spending the money, but knowing I'll be MOP at best, I don't want to look like a poser either. I know I'll probably want a wetsuit, though I've seen you can rent those some places on line. I've already got clip on bars for my road bike as my fiancé won't let me buy another bike before the wedding though I saw a really nice Felt on sale at the bike shop today. Do I want a tri suit? Any other intangibles?

I'm really excited to get started and am 3 weeks into my 16 week training plan, though I have found another sprint in May that I may do as well, as I don't think the Sprint is going to be that tough and I won't need the full 16 week training period.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
My motto is "If you can't go good look good", that and "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" These two motto's work together nicely and result in the Cervelo P5
Thread /end
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2012, 6:11 PM Reply   
I like your style.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2012, 6:40 PM Reply   
I am 25 and have a goal just to finish a triathlon this summer. I will be watching this thread closely So far I have my 10k run down to around 53 min. Have to do more cycling and get to the pool some more.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2012, 9:31 PM Reply   
You don't need much for a sprint.

The swim is short, a wet suit will take longer to take off than the speed it buys you (they do buy you a little speed). I would do this for kit:
Goggles that fit and don't leak.
I one piece tri suit or a pair of tri shorts and top, just do the whole race in the same kit.
Race belt for your number
Bike shoes with clip in pedals (which ever brand you like) I use tri shoes that don't require socks (great for wet and cold feet to get into)
Helmet
Glasses
One bottle of water or watery sports drink (if you are racing the tri you'll not want any thing too sweet on the bike, it will come back on the run).
One gel pack, I'd just use a little electrical tape and tape the pull tab on the top of your bike frame just behind the stem.
Socks
Running shoes with elastic laces or other speed entry system
Running hat (personal preference, but they do keep the sweat way from your face)
Optional: Sports watch or Garmin (GPS) watch

In the race (all my opinion)
Transition area
-- Look around and take like a million mental pictures of where your bike is
-- Go to the swim exit and jog back to your bike remembering where it is
-- Remember where your bike is some more
-- Put your race number belt in your helmet
-- Put your glasses in your helmet
-- Put your helmet on top of your bike shoes (I put mine on the aero bars if I think my bike will not get banged around and knock them off)
-- Bring a old towel or chamois to quick dry your self off, wipe your face and feet with
-- Put your run kit in place just off to the side of the bike

Line up for the swim kinda front and center
-- It's a sprint you ARE going to get bumped around, lining up off to the side or in the back will just waste time.
-- Put your goggle straps UNDER your swim cap (makes it hard for them to get ripped off)
-- If the water is cold and you are not using a wet suit, bring a second swim cap. A double cap system saves decent heat and takes zero race time

Moderate jog (NOT sprinting) out of the water to the bike, your body will need a few minutes to get used to not swimming
-- Pull your goggles off
-- Pull your swim cap off
-- Concentrate on where your bike is
-- Ignore everything else, just stay on task to getting to your bike
-- helmet on FIRST
-- shoes, glasses and GO
-- Run a little past the line and then get on your bike, it's a sprint you'll see all sorts of people doing odd things right on top of the line. Just move past them a few strides. If you know how to flying mount (cyclocross style) your bike now is the time to impress the crowd.
-- Get going, build up your speed
-- Take some water
-- Take your gel after about 15 mins on the bike
-- More water
-- Ignore all of the other racers, it's your Tri race your own race
-- Little more water
-- Un clip and don't crash into T2
-- Jog back to your spot
-- Rack the bike, toss the helmet
-- Put your socks on (tip, roll your socks down and put them in your shoes, this way you know where each sock it and rolling them up wet feet is easier than pulling up a full length sock)
-- Hat, glasses and GO
-- Run your run
-- sip a little water on the course if you need
-- Keep running, and build your intensity to focus on finishing fast
-- Finish!

For training, I'd focus a lot on Bike to Run transitions. Couple times a week after a bike work out do at least a short run right afterwards. You need to train your body for this.
Do some transition drills, it will make yours faster.
Train on the course as able.

If you do it all right during the race it will hurt afterwards. Even a sprint hurts to race them, they are short and intense.

Post race, think back to how you could have done it faster, then race the next one faster, rinse and repeat.

I'd worry ZERO about what everyone else is doing and looks like in the race. You will see everything from Pro wanna be's to local elites to old dudes on Mountain Bikes passing guys on $10K road bikes. I've raced a local sprint in cammo shorts and a white cotton shirt and raced on my Fixie passing people on bikes where one wheel cost more than my bike.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-28-2012, 2:04 AM Reply   
Think Sean nailed the list on the head. Just go out and have fun. A few years back I trained to do my first ever sprint never really knowing if I would do more after that or not. I ended up doing 7 races that year (4 sprints, 2 Olympics & 1 Half IM). It is a great sport and one that you will certainly get out of it what you put in. Which race are you training for?
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-28-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
Sean did a good job.

Swam and played water polo through college. Always start at the front. I have found that the best goggles for me are "swedish made" and less than $5 a pair. Just take some sand paper remove the excess molding and get them adjusted right across the bridge of your nose. Also I would consider spending some time in the water pre-race to get used to it. I also find the wetsuit on sprints to be unnecessary no matter what the temperature.

Don't forget to spot during the swim between every 5-10 strokes. I've seen some age groups go wildly off course because the pack followed the lead swimmer.

Last edited by norcalrider; 02-28-2012 at 2:57 PM.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-29-2012, 10:10 PM Reply   
Sean, great info, I appreciate it. I've already got the bike, shoes, and pedals. I'm training for the Topeka Tinman in June, but am also thinking about doing the TriZou triathlon in Columbia in May. Both are sprints. If they go well I may try to slip in an Olympic later in the summer.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-01-2012, 12:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
Sean did a good job.

Swam and played water polo through college. Always start at the front. I have found that the best goggles for me are "swedish made" and less than $5 a pair.
I wore nothing but swedish goggles all through high school and college and figured I would do that in triathlon's too. Raced my first race in them and got out of the water with a nasty black eye. Won't ever do that again. I usually try to start at the front but that is not always possible depending on the race. I was up super early at IM Louisville and I still started 20 minutes behind the first swimmers hit the water.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2012, 8:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Sean, great info, I appreciate it. I've already got the bike, shoes, and pedals. I'm training for the Topeka Tinman in June, but am also thinking about doing the TriZou triathlon in Columbia in May. Both are sprints. If they go well I may try to slip in an Olympic later in the summer.
My first season was:
Sprint
Half IM
Full IM
Oly
Sprint

Why start small?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2012, 10:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfergus7 View Post
I wore nothing but swedish goggles all through high school and college and figured I would do that in triathlon's too. Raced my first race in them and got out of the water with a nasty black eye. Won't ever do that again. I usually try to start at the front but that is not always possible depending on the race. I was up super early at IM Louisville and I still started 20 minutes behind the first swimmers hit the water.
I've been very happy with Aqua Sphere goggles for Tri's. Have yet to have a problem during a race. I grew up doing swim team and wore swedish goggles in High School and College, but Tri's are different. I think that having a larger air pocket works better. Getting a little water in a bigger goggle is no big deal, getting that same water in a tiny goggle, big deal.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2012, 11:34 PM Reply   
Hence the, "for me" comment... Always like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-02-2012, 8:45 PM Reply   
I'm about to complete my 4th week of this plan, http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/di...w.asp?planid=4. The first 3 weeks were extremely easy and had me thinking about switching to an Olympic distance plan, but for some reason, week 4 which should have been nothing has been really hard to stay motivated for. I don't know if it was because I was slammed at work or if I just am getting bored with having to train inside, but I had to really work to stay pumped up about it this week.

I'm trying to drop about 10-15 pounds before my first triathlon. I have already completely switched my diet. Any strength and conditioning plans you guys would recommend outside the training regimen. I was thinking about doing P90x along with the training plan, but with also working 60+ hour weeks I thought I might get burnt out pretty quick.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-09-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
Week #5 was a lot easier even with a heavy work load. Really enjoying being able to ride the bike outside. I got about 100 miles on the bike this week. Swim is starting to come around, but I think I'm going to get some fins so I can work on the form a little more without the fatigue. Got some Zoot shoes and love them. These purchases just keep on coming.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Week #5 was a lot easier even with a heavy work load. Really enjoying being able to ride the bike outside. I got about 100 miles on the bike this week. Swim is starting to come around, but I think I'm going to get some fins so I can work on the form a little more without the fatigue. Got some Zoot shoes and love them. These purchases just keep on coming.
Triathlon is not cheap, there is some metric out there for medium income for Ironman athletes, it's north of $100K
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-09-2012, 10:10 PM Reply   
Yeah, I saw somewhere it was north of $150k even. Something tells me with the bug I'm getting I won't be riding my entry level Specialized Secteur very long.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-04-2012, 6:53 PM Reply   
Got my first sprint Sunday, just 400/14/3 so it should go pretty smooth. Getting pretty excited.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
Don't forget to wee on yourself. J/k have fun, soak up the Atmos and stay safe.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2012, 10:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Got my first sprint Sunday, just 400/14/3 so it should go pretty smooth. Getting pretty excited.
Good luck, have fun.....and most important, fly through your transitions....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-11-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
Hey sorry I did not take the time to read threw all the posts. I only read the orignal post and this section of the Orignial post I don't mind spending the money, and I thought Ok! Ill share this. I got this e-mail today and I thought i would share if your intrested. Seems like a good deal
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 05-11-2012 at 7:35 AM.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
My wife is going to back into Tri's. We picked her up a Trek Speed Concept last weekend. Really nice ride for the money, she's pretty excited about it. I had her ride a few road bikes to get a feel for the difference, pretty sure there is a Cervelo S5 in her future, she test rode one and loved it.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
^^ Grant that is an awesome deal!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-11-2012, 10:08 PM Reply   
Wow, that is a great deal, too bad all the bikes are so small.