Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    medwards            03-17-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
I found a pole that the owner cut 8" off the length. What are the benifets/drawbacks?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-17-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
Maybe they were short and had a hard time putting the rope up. It would have less up pulling for the rider, but the forces on the pylon and cable would be less. I am assuming you are talking about an extended pylon
Old    medwards            03-17-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
The go told the people that he seemed to get better air with it cut. Seemed weird to me so I thought I would ask. Yes I am talking about an extended pylon
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-17-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
A tall pole can cause the boat to rock enough to screw up the wake. I find that my 8' pole seems to work better if I pull out a pin and drop it down about a foot or so.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-17-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Uhhhh NO you will not get better lift!It is not logical.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
The physics are not so straight forward to accept simply that taller is better. For example, before Thomas Horrell switched to wakeskating, he would wakeboard off the factory (low) pylon because he felt that the pull was more solid and allowed him to get a stronger cut and subsequently more lift. There were a pack of Orlando riders (many of the "New School") that all were dissing on Skylons and choosing to ride low. Of course, this was before towers had been invented. My first pylon was a shortened version (5'), it was a nice solid pull with less flex and a noticeably more solid pull than the taller Skylon. I stuck my first Raley off that 5' pylon, if that's worth anything.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-17-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
I think the taller polls especially affect the wake when you add a lot of weight to the boat OR if you're a big guy going for big raley-type moves. We had problems with both on our older (less deep of a V) boat.

Might not need to cut down the pole if you don't add a lot of weight, you're not too heavy, or you don't cut at the wake like Shapiro. Taller poles do keep the board racks out of eye level.
Old    260searay            03-17-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
Is it even possible to go wake to wake on a 26' boat with an 8 and a half foot beam with no tower? I only have the stupid hook thing above the swim platform.
Old    medwards            03-18-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys.....