Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Well I sold my Moomba. Now I have my dad's 83 MasterCraft. I have some projects to do. I have to replace the steering cable which we already have. It is just the cable not the whole unit where the cable winds up and connects to the steering wheel. Anybody know if you can pull off that piece where the cable winds up and if so how do you do it? I am going to buy an oil cooler for it from skidim.com. That should be easy and self explanatory to replace.

The boat probably needs new vinyl which I may do at some point. Does anybody know a shop or person in the Seattle area that will do this for a reasonable price? If I do it I plan on pulling all the pieces out so there is no prep time I have to pay them for. The seats probably need new foam padding as well. Does anybody have an idea of what this might cost. I am looking for something simple. I don't need any fancy stitching and multiple colors. Also does anybody know of a good place to buy vinyl?

Another thing I wouldn't mind doing is replacing the carpet. Is that very hard? I would assume you just have to pull out the seats, engine cover and any other removable pieces and then tear up the carpet then glue the new carpet down. How much and where is a good place to get marine carpet?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Also if anybody knows of someone with a Byerly one piece Ten foot pole I may be interested in it. I have a 2 piece SS one but the regular pylon is about a 18" taller than a normal one and it makes the extended pylon too tall. I would like to trade or possibly buy if it is cheap enough.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
brett, call or email darren. i think he knows a good shop nearby. i recall him mentioning a local place last year when i was looking for replacement skins. i also have contact info for a guy who used to work in MC's upholstery shop for over 10+ years. he's doing work on the side now. obviously he wouldn't be able to do it in person, but maybe he could do the skins for you. that 83 is awesome and i'd treat her right and try as best you can to match stock. shoot me an email if you want that guy's contact info.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-23-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
Post up a pic!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Bruce, if you can get me that guys contact info that would be awesome. If he has the patterns and can make the skins I can do everything else.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-23-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
That thing is a beauty Brett!
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-23-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
brett ever have any issues with the wind blowing that canopy away out there.......
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Braden, thanks. We know the whole history of the boat. My dad didn't even want a boat but this particular boat is his favorite of all time. So when the guy said we he could buy it for 4k my dad really didn't have a choice. My dad had an 84 Gray on gray S&S from about 1990 to 2005. Before that he had a 79 or 80 mastercraft. I caused a lot of trouble in the gray on gray one growing up. Nothing like packing 12 drunk high school kids on a 19' closed bow boat. We had to have people sit on the bow.

Ken, although at times it looks like it is going to sail off it hasn't yet.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
brett, email sent. good luck and let me know how it works out please. i want to check that boat out closer next time we run into each other on the water too! :-)
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
Brett, Im in the process of refurbishing a 79 MC like yours. I am just waiting on the vinyl guy to finish my seat. to have all white with a grey "blob" (the best way I can describe it), its runnin me 550 i believe is what he said. But he is re doing everything. thats also with a black chord on all the corners of the seats. When i get them back this week ill take pics so you will understand what i had done.

Carpet is not hard at all on this boat. its 2 long strips that cover the floor on each side of the motor and up the side of the wall. In front of and behind the engine, the floor lifts out, so these are even easier to carpet.

Good luck with your build. im a little ahead of you so if you run into a problem, i prolly did to. send me a pm if you need to.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Thanks Nick. Did you have a local guy in your area do the vinyl or did you send it out to get done?

I was thinking something like an off-white vinyl with blue piping.

Have you put any speakers in the boat? I am trying to get an idea of what I can do. I think the easiest with out cutting any holes would be to find a cheap set of tower speakers to throw on pylon.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
i had a local guy do them. i should say that mine is kinda a gray white. not a true white i believe.

I have a tower mounted on mine. the guy i bought it from did it so i kept it. i am looking at adding a different tower though. i have 4 kickers on it. i am putting together a little box. to add under the sides. if it works, ill draw it up for you.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
oh and i just thought about it. i have a fiber glass only engine cover. no vinyl on it. so you will have to add that to yours for the price.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
I called a guy that does some stuff for MC. I got quoted 550 for everything except the rear seat.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-24-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
is that just makin the skins? or installing and everything.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-24-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
That is just making the skins.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-24-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
i would say thats maybe a little high. mine are installed with new foam for 550. i had the back seat done but i dont have to do the engine cover. That engine cover maybe the big price pusher though.

what kind of weight are you runnin in that thing. im tryin to figure out how to add some weight to the nose of it.