Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    billy_ray            10-19-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
anyone have any feedback on the malibu vlx 2006..does the wedge really work as good as they say it does?? how big of wake does it make.. before it is a wakesurfing wake? is the front bllast worth getting??pics?
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-19-2005, 11:51 PM Reply   
yes - massive - yes.
there is alot of info about malibu vlx boats and a ton of pics........search button.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
have one, love it!
don't use the wedge but got it for resale value. It adds something to the wake if you don't add any ballast besides the stock. I prefer it without the wedge.

front ballast is a must, you'll just end up adding your own if you don't get it, I find I could use more up front.

here are a couple, I've got more, let me know if you want to see them or anything specific.
http://www.dizzyg.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=vlx

we tried surfing once but don't have the wake totally figured out just yet. So far we've had a max of 3 people in the boat while riding and the wake is outstanding.

We've been running stock ballast plus another 250-300 in the nose, 450-500 in each locker and no wedge around 24-25MPH. The wake is really nice.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-20-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
brooke,

What is that casing around the wedge?
Old    spinwkbrdr            10-20-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
thats the power wedge. The casing houses the hydraulics. It is deployed from the dash now with a button and has two settings, halfway and all the way. One is the equivalent of 400lbs and one 1200lbs. Supposedly having the wedge at the halfway setting is the best for surfing.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
It actually has more than two settings. Unless they have changed it the one at surf expo allowed you any position not necessarily locking in at certain places.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-20-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
Standard wedge equivelant to 750lbs (on VLX).

Power wedge is electric, no hydraulic fluid resevoir and fluid lines. Multiple settings, nothing is pre-set as far as I know. It just depends on where you stop with the switch. It's equivelant of up to 1,200lbs of water weight.

It would be cool to hear about differnt power wedge setting for surfing. Halfway is good insight. It moves the wake in and out from the boat as well as the height and size. haven't played with it enough to figure it out. The more I've used the more I really like though.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
yup, there's a gauge on the dash and a switch for up and down. You stop anywhere you want.
Old    josh_tn            10-20-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
Is that a VLX with a diamond hull? I didn't know that was an option.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-20-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
Is that a VLX with a diamond hull? I didn't know that was an option.

it's not. there used to be a sunsetter vlx but that's gone. now they have the sunscape 21 lsv. nice boat. not the wake hull, but works well.
Old    josh_tn            10-20-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
So this is not the diamond hull? I thought those turned down outsides were what made it the diamond hull.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-20-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
Here is the dash...You can see the wedge guage and the switch is all the way on the right.

We had it going up and down. sweeeeeet addition.

Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
yup, that was a picture of the diamond hull version sitting on the lift. It did that for 3-4 weeks until the one with the correct hull came.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
I didn't take another yet since they are pretty much identical except for the hull shape.

Madchild: they did make that an option this year, they accidentally sent us the wrong one, we didn't want the diamond hull and no longer have one with the diamond hull. Factory screw up!

(Message edited by DizzyG on October 20, 2005)
Old     (hoangl1021)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-21-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
How much more was the power wedge option on the '06 wakesetter? Think the standard wedge complete is around $500. Is the power option another $250 more?
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-21-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
no it is $2000 give or take a few hundred.