Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-14-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
Fuel's 10 count list them as follows...

1. Lake Powell (AZ)
2. Projects (Orlando FL)
3. Orlando (FL)
4. Lake Mead (NV)
5. Delta (CA)
6. Radar Lake (Seatle WA)
7. Rio Harde River (Baja Cali Mexico)
8. Miami (FL)
9. Shasta (CA)
10. Canyon Lakes (CA)

So what do you think? What do you think are some of the best wakeboard lakes??
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-14-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
dunno if they can count radar lake since it's not open to the public, but here's my list.

1 powell (az & ut)
2 shasta (ca)
3 bullard's bar (ca)
4 delta (ca)
5 don pedro (ca)
6 new melones (ca)
7 pateros (wa)
8 canyon lake (ca)
9 alder lake (wa)
10 berryessa (ca)
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-14-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
dakid;
I agree with Bullard's Bar in the top 5. Last time I was there your camping was boat access only and it was all about floating toilets. But always glass.
Old    murrayair            12-14-2004, 9:19 PM Reply   
1.Shasta
2.Delta
3.Powell

Im not sure the rest of the lakes I've ridden on would be considered "top 10" material so I'll just stick with the top 3. If I could live on Shasta I would. Absolutely my favorite lake. The Delta is always glass, so its a very close second.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-14-2004, 9:31 PM Reply   
I would have to add Lake George, New York.

The King of America's Lakes.
This superb lake was created by original Settlers from the choicest families, social clubs and boaters who play harder, throw better parties and have more fun than anywhere else in the world.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-14-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
hahahah they are all wrong, I am from MN, we got 10,000 dope ass lakes. No launch fees, you dont need a third, you dont even need to have a lifejacket on....oh yeah and you dont need a stupid flag....but then again its 25 degrees they right now, that why i am in SoCal.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-14-2004, 9:57 PM Reply   
don't need a third = not all together safe
don't need a life jacket = not safe at all

sucks for minnesota.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-14-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
no way man its the best. okay i forgot to mention that there is so much water that there is no chance of boat traffic. ever, as in never ever never. ever!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-14-2004, 10:22 PM Reply   
haha! ok, i'm convinced.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       12-15-2004, 1:21 AM Reply   
That list pretty much shows how out of touch Fuel is with the actual sport. First, I'm pretty sure there is probably a top 10 lake outside of the West and Florida. If you are going by quality water, a public lake wouldn't make the top 10. I guess it's all just point of view. Here are my Top 10 that I have actually been on. Never rode in California. This is an overall list as they've done, considering skiability, location, scenery, etc.

1. Trophy Lakes Lake #1, Charleston, SC (Private, superb conditions, location)
2. Beaver Lake, NC/VA border (Private, awesome conditions, remote, location)
3. Water's Edge, Wilmington, IL (private, conditions, lifestyle)
4. Austin Aquaplex, Austin, TX (private, conditions, lifestyle)
5. Texas Ski Ranch, New Braunfels, TX (just really cool)
6. Soda Lake, Morrison, CO (nothing like skiing against the Front Range of the Rockies)
7. Isaiah's Run, Owensville, MO (private, remote, unbelievable conditions)
8. Table Rock Lake, MO (great scenery, a midwestern Lake Powell)
9. Dream Lake Estates, Huxley, IA (great conditions, lifestyle)
10. Lake Freddie, Hartville, MO (great conditions, private, remote)
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-15-2004, 6:50 AM Reply   
kstateskier

Fuels claim is that the polled the top riders, industry reps, and associated others to come up with there list. The show was 10 count. It had lots of representation from the pro circuit. Not saying the list is true just looking to spark some opinons of peoples lakes of choice. Also might get some one else aware of good spots to ride.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-15-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
Yeah but Andy, how are those lakes looking right now? Ice skating anyone?

Can the Delta be considered a 'Lake?'
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-15-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Of course the top riders, industry reps, and others will most likely place lakes out west and in Florida as their top ten because that is where the sport seems to be the most popular. Not saying it's right but again all polls are popularity contests. Most people know about Powell, Delta, Shasta, Mead, etc. If I made a poll I'd put Shasta in it just from seeing the lake. Good idea for a poll though it gets a lot of people thinking, and shares some good riding/vacation spots.

Joe-

Have you ever made it out to Lake Roosevelt when you're up here in Washington? It's about an hour past Pateros on the Columbia. Kinda our little Lake Shasta up here in Washington. Not as many coves, but lots of good water, and beaches.
Old    313productions            12-15-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
Somebody's gotta represent for the lakes in Canada... but if I name them nobody will know what I'm talking about so here's a few pictures!
p.s. you gotta love the snow on the mountains!!

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-15-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
The lakes are no good where I'm at (Houston) we stick to the rivers. You can't beat the rivers, rollers wash up on shore w/ in seconds leaving the same great water.
Old    bambamski            12-15-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
That's a cool pic Lonny. Where's that second pic from? Looks great!

Most of my faves are in BC as well.
BC lakes
Kookanoosa
Shuswap
Okanogan
Kalamalka
Wood
Tie

ID
Priest
Lake by sandpoint (can't spell it though lol)
Courdelene (sp) what's with ID. can't they use a normal name?

Washington
Banks
Park
Moses Hole
Columbia river

Alberta hmmm
Not sure if any of the lakes here even rank in the top 100.
Little Blow (when it's nice

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-15-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
J Rod, Yeah Minnesota I a frozen wasteland right now. Only good for Hockey.}
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-15-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
Pat, I think the lake by Sandpoint, ID is Pend O'Reille ("pond-o-ray").

Another toughie to spell is Coeur d'Alene. I wonder how many people in Coeur d'Alene can actually spell it? I think most people there abbreviate it CdA.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-15-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   

quote:

Joe-

Have you ever made it out to Lake Roosevelt when you're up here in Washington? It's about an hour past Pateros on the Columbia. Kinda our little Lake Shasta up here in Washington. Not as many coves, but lots of good water, and beaches.

no, i never made it to roosevelt. i was invited a couple times. unfortunately, i had already moved back to cali.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-15-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
have not been that far north in a while, but Clear Lake up near Sonoma, is pretty darn nice. also, Lake Trinity. not nearly as popular as Shasta, but never had a bad time there.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-15-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
from what i was told, clear lake isn't so clear with algae problems. is this true?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-15-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
it definitely was not the "clearest", but the water was butter for a week straight. I had heard something about an algae problem before. someone told me that the lake "turns over" once a year, and the water is gross for about a week.
that was about 5 years ago. I wish I had pictures to share. definitely a place I plan on going back to. they had cool little camp grounds too, where you could dock your boat right next to your site.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-15-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
Clear Lake has always had algae problems as long as I can remember.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-15-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Man I definetly need to go places!!!
my top ten list is:

1.DELTA
2.DELTA
3.DELTA

So can somebody remind me why I would go anywhere else?!!
I know,I know,but it's just so darn nice there!!
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-15-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
Anybody know where the Rio Harde River in Baja is ?

No way should Mead be #4
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-15-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
Chris,
If I hadn't erased the tivo I could tell you, they give the location during the show. They also said if your not a LF rider chances are you won't ride it. Gotta hate it..
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-16-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
Pat-

You must have lived in Washington at one point, I thought only us locals called Moses Lake, Moses Hole. Good way to describe it. Good call on Okanogan too that whole valley is awesome. Kinda funny Canada markets that area as the desert of Canada.
Old    bambamski            12-16-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
Ryan, my wifes from the area (Ephrata) so I've spent a little bit of time there. Moses Hole, apparently there was some sort of sewage dumped into the lake many years ago which closed the lake. To this day my wife won't go in it.

That whole area is super cool as you go north of Moses lake into the backup of grand coulee dam. I was thinking about spending a week or so this coming summer down there so I need some insider info on which lakes to hit.

Ya, the Okanogan is pretty amazing. I've found some great spots to ride out there over the past couple of years. To those that have never been up in the Okanogan the season is pretty short. The lakes are only unfrozen for about a month during August. It's quality not quantity right?
Old    walt            12-16-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
Lake Oroville
Shasta
Pillsbury
Delta
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-16-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
naci posse
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-16-2004, 6:12 PM Reply   
Not many Eastcoaster posted, but my vote goes to Lake Anna in VA.
Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-16-2004, 6:44 PM Reply   
Hey Bambamski
I live in Moses Lake and the lake may have been closed due to sewage dump but that doesn't mean they fixed the leak. This is why the lake is alway body core temp. When your on this lake you always have to keep and eye out for logs in the water, if you know what I mean...
Old    byerly137pro            12-16-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
Okay, I saw this Top 10 countdown too. This was complete b.s. why did they call it the top ten wakeboard spots in north america when all the spots they chose were american. Honestly, if they weren't gonna pick any Canadian or Mexican lakes they should have named it differently.
Old    justsomeguy            12-16-2004, 8:05 PM Reply   
--This was complete b.s. why did they call it the top ten wakeboard spots in north america when all the spots they chose were american.--

"7. Rio Harde River (Baja Cali Mexico)"

Reading comprehension issues?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-16-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   

quote:

Okay, I saw this Top 10 countdown too. This was complete b.s. why did they call it the top ten wakeboard spots in north america when all the spots they chose were american. Honestly, if they weren't gonna pick any Canadian or Mexican lakes they should have named it differently.

what if, in their opinion, no canadian lakes belong in the top 10? then no, their top 10 isn't bs.
Old     (blaize)      Join Date: May 2000       12-16-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
Shadow Lake.
Palm Springs, CA.
It's private, but it's soo tight.
Old     (cwb12)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-23-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
the clermont chain of lakes in florida,20 mins from orlando. Over 12 lakes and 9 of them perfect for wakeboarding. the water is dark from cypress trees but the water is usually calm and if its rough there is always a smooth spot.
Old    slidervinny            12-23-2004, 4:59 PM Reply   
caloosahatchee river-fort myers
lake pickett-gators house
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       12-23-2004, 7:35 PM Reply   
Hey this is a cool thread!! Not sure if I have seen one with this exact topic!

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-24-2004, 4:39 AM Reply   
Im not giving up my favorite riding spots so easily and definitly not to a magazine ..ill keep those to myself.. :-)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-24-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
Here is an eclectic list of riding spots. Some of the norm, some off the beaten path. But my $.02 Merry Christmas, there are some secret spots on this list!

10. Butler Chain, Orlando FL
9. Projects, Orlando FL
8. Lake Allatoona, Atlanta GA
7. Chaphunkta River, Baton Rouge, LA
6. Lake Austin, Austin TX
5. Lake Shasta, Nor Cal
4. The Delta, Nor Cal
3. Lake Entiat, Entiat, WA
2. Lake Paetoros, Paeteros, WA
1. Whilamette River, Portland OR

(Message edited by solo on December 24, 2004)
Old    airjunky123            12-24-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
There's a little known spot in Texas that is so remote, crowds will never be a problem. Lake Amistad, out of Del Rio, specifically the Devils River Canyon, miles of glass protected by 300-500 ft cliffs, waterfalls, and sandy beaches, and it caught 75 ft of water this year.
Old    dezy            12-25-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
Steven, we rode at one of M2R clinics with you guys this last june, but it was on the "Willamette" river. Just kiddin ya, keep up the good photo work.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-26-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
300-500 foot cliffs! wow, that is tall.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-29-2004, 4:28 AM Reply   
Falls Lake In Raleigh,NC during the WEEK.Lots of glass and a bunch of good riders on just a handful of boats.FLP!
Old    drewsky24            01-03-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
whats the lake in miami called?
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-04-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
Lake Ohakuri in New Zealand so that when you have finished riding you can go to the goethermal hot pool right in the lake to relax
Old    wake_101            01-04-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
Wow Lake Shasta made it on the top 10 I Figured BB or something else would make it not poor rain deprived Shasta........thats right though gotta give it up for the number 9 spot * woot woot*.....anyone need a pull or want a 3rd wheel hit me up come season time
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-04-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
Just noticed, out of the origonal list, I have ridden 7 out of the 10 lakes/river/places.
Old    wakewil            01-04-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
Aaron i bet come season the lake will be like 5 feet from the top and always butter if you can find the right places
i can wait till season..going out at least 3 times a week??!
Old    wake_101            01-11-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
yeah a lot more wil if your pops cooperates 6 times a week eheheheh.....gonna be awesome...excell year for sure