Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                09-05-2001, 1:59 PM Reply   
hey i can't wake jump at all toeside .. any tips??
thanks alot.

asher
Old    don't bend at the waist            09-09-2001, 7:57 AM Reply   
I'll keep this short and easy to remember.

Shoulders parallel to the wake, handle as close to your lead hip as you can get it, back straight (don't bend at the waist), let go with your trailing hand just before you land.

Good luck,
Steve
Old    not consistent            09-15-2001, 2:37 PM Reply   
I just got my TS I have only been solid riding since late June, I have my HS w2w and TS w2w (not consistent) I just learned you have to charge it.. and commit 150% you can not do a TS half a** you have to go all the way....
Its not like your HS, but once you get it.. It opens the door quickly to new things.
B
Old                09-17-2001, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hold your edge all the way up the wake, do not let off or you will get pitched.
Also keep your hands low.
Old                09-19-2001, 6:07 AM Reply   
I just started back boarding again bought a new Belmont 144 and I can't jump any other way than TS. I actually learned the 1 wake TS 180 because I was holding on with both hands. I agree with Steve J. Let go just before you land it it does not pull you around. Or hang on for life and land it switch!! Took me forever to land it but once I did it is easy now. The problem I am having is making it across both wakes. I get about 5 or 6 feet up in the air, but it is straight up!
Old                09-19-2001, 12:09 PM Reply   
I've just started getting good pop TS. I took a couple into the flat the other day. I find that I have to get a little further out than I did HS, in order to get good distance and height.

I agree with Butterfly, you just have to go balls out TS in order to get pop. It seems wierd at first, because your in an uncomfortable position. But once you dod it a few times, you'll be fine.

As a side note, I hit one last night and pop about head high and 5-6 feet out in the flat, I did fall, but it looks awsome on video.
Old    rflybdr540 (butterflybdr540) on          11-12-2001, 2:59 PM Reply   
Hey Scott, it is so true.. It is becoming really simple for me to make it W2W TS but I have been throwing the rope when I land... I landed a few this weekend and kept the rope in my hand...
Totally Stoked :)
So how is it working out Asher?
B
Old                11-23-2001, 2:33 PM Reply   
One other piece of advice. On TS jumps, hit the wake with less of an angle then you do on HS. You won't get bucked as bad and the launch and landing are smoother.

Also, people have a tendancy to lean back to get more edge. Lean into the wake not away.
Old                11-24-2001, 12:13 AM Reply   
At TWC the consistent message wake jumps is "two hands on the handle unless you are doing grab".
Old                05-16-2002, 3:42 PM Reply   
I'm struggling to clear the wake toeside, too. Whenever I clear the wake toeside, I can't land it, I slide out. Whenever I do land it, I'm about a foot short of the wake. Where should I be looking? Also, what angle should my board be when I hit the wake? Any additional advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old                05-17-2002, 6:47 AM Reply   
i am having trouble on my toeside jumps too. but the funny thing is, i can land a scarecrow with no problems. i just learned it 3 weeks ago and i am already more consistent with that and my raley, than i am with my toeside jumps. so darn frustrating!!!
Old                05-17-2002, 10:12 AM Reply   
I've been struggling with toeside jumps the last year or so and finally found like those above said, you have to commit all out and not back off at the wake. Most people have a tendancy to back of just as they hit the wake and let the rope out away from your body. This releases all the energy too soon. Keep the rope tight as possible to your hip and edge all the way through the wake without backing off. Look at the horizon and like Jeremy said don't lean back too far.
Old                05-17-2002, 1:59 PM Reply   
Thanks, I'm going to charge it hard tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old                05-17-2002, 8:22 PM Reply   
I,m glad we're still dicussing this. I can't get comfortable edging in. I feel like I'm almost facing the boat wheras on heelside I feel like I'm coming in at a 90 degree angle. what angle should you hit the wake toeside for a simple w2w jump?
Old                05-20-2002, 3:48 PM Reply   
I found that when I made my cut concentrating on a progressive edge, I did much better. I was getting a ton of height, but still not getting enough distance to clear. More speed?
Old    a.k.a. pop            05-22-2002, 10:37 AM Reply   
More speed, definitely.
OR...run a shortrope.
It makes the wake much narrower.
THat way you can concentrate on progressive edge (a.k.a. pop) and handle position.
Old                05-22-2002, 11:00 AM Reply   
You let go of your trailing hand on landing? Not your leading hand?
Old                05-22-2002, 11:42 AM Reply   
I actually cleared toeside this morning. Yippeee!!! It turns out I've been letting off my edge. I held my edge through the wake and what do you know, I cleared! Next step, ts wake to wake 180...

Thanks for everyone's advice! It was very helpful...
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-03-2002, 7:04 PM Reply   
In addition to all the above good advice, i find that consciously bending your front leg helps on my ts jumps. Bending your front/lead leg causes the weight distribution on the board to even out.
Old    ridehyco            06-08-2002, 12:56 AM Reply   
Biggest advice i can give is handle position.

Keep that handle literally on your lead hip, if not square on your A$$. I was eating it alot on TS jumps, then i started keeping that handle in, now I basically never eat it. I may not clear the wake everytime, but i dont bust.

You can get away with poor handle position on HS jumps. (God knows I do :-)) but on TS jumps. Keep that handle in.

H
Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-27-2002, 11:45 AM Reply   
Wow! This could be the longest running thread. One thing I do is give a little extra pull on the handle with my back hand right before I hit the wake. Back hand is right hand for regular footed rider. I think this helps the progressive edge a little but it mostly forces me to keep the handle in tight so I land cleanly with both hands on the handle.

Before I started doing this, I would pop up, let go with my back hand (and then start waving that arm around like crazy to maintain balance), my front arm would get pulled way out in front of me and I would land all stretched out. Now, I get good pop and land clean with both hands on the handle, or let go with back hand for a grab.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-04-2002, 1:08 PM Reply   
The thing that helped me the most was letting the board coast and flatten out before I start my cut into the wake. I then stick the handle on my lead hip and really focus on a progressive edge all the way through the top of the wake. Although you do have to be 100% committed to the jump, make sure you're getting a progressive cut into the wake. At first I was charging at it all the way from the flats which never worked out too well.
Old    gordon523            07-04-2002, 10:17 PM Reply   
You just have to charge the wake it feels weird cause your upper body should face away fromt eh boat but charge it and keep your upper body strait don't bend and then you will be going w2w in no time