Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-14-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
In everybodys opinion which tower speakers are the best. I have seen some that say concert like sound at 80' or more. I would like to have that, which ones actually sound that good at 80 + feet.

Which ones are the best if money isn't a concern?

Which ones are the best if money is a concern?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-14-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
The best is JL. These are top of the line and you will pay for them but you will have quality sounds. Then you have Polk or Infinity are good as well. I personally would only go with one of these 3.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-14-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
For the rider, these are considered in the top 3 among HLCD tower speakers.

http://www.wetsounds.com/home.html

Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-14-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
this has been covered ad naseaum... the hcld's will be the loudest..with that being said, the next would be coaxial hcld or seperate hcld and how far you want to go..

this will depend on how much sound you want in the boat and out to the rider..i'll go over 3 different systems from mild to wild.

mild:

coaxial hcld's are very loud inside and outside the boat..they have no problem projecting sound out to the rider and are a very good deal for the money...however, the boat occupants may need earplugs... this is due to the compromised horn body that has to be for the coaxial..both nvs & wetsounds manufactures a coaxial model for a reasonable cost... (i prefer the nvs due to the larger cone, it isnt as bright inside the boat)

moderate:

for more money you now have the 3 drivers per cabinet design (2 midbass / 1 hcld)...these allow for more sound out to rider and are less sound in the boat. this is because the there is a full horn body on the hcld - and this makes a hugh difference. at this price level you can go with nvs,skylon, or wetsounds...all make a really nice product and at this point it will be personal prefernce.

wild:

modified nvs and have duanne at nvs use b&c pro audio drivers from italy (btw, all the best drivers are from europe)...it will be a nominal price increase but nothing and i mean nothing will touch it in sound quality and loudness..

i dont know if the other manufactures will offer a driver upgrade option...currently wetsounds uses a custom design that is made offshores (i might be wrong here, check with them). Skylon uses diamond car audio drivers and nvs currently use emmience drivers..

btw, skylon offers a seperate 8" driver and hcld.. (this is my personal favorite design.3 of them can get very loud and with good coverage but with a small foor print..the drawback is the price - way too much money when comparied to other systems.)

hope that helps..
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-14-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
thanks for the info
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-15-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
cl,

try that search key, you can produce a weeks worth of reading material. If you have a specific question I am happy to share my opinion.
Old     (nriched)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-16-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
I agree, Wetsounds and NVS are the way to go, but they are a little harsh when you are sitting on the back of the boat, but hey, that never matters when you'r at a concert right?
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-17-2006, 12:41 AM Reply   
My pair of wetsounds Pro 80s rock loud and clear. The rider can actually hear the music, which is a rare thing. Yes, if you stand up in the back of the boat while the speakers are at riding volume level, you will get blasted! But, as long as you are sitting down in the boat there are no problems. I couldn't be happier with the Pro 80s, people totally trip-out when they hear my boat go by. For the RIDER, HCLD speakers are the only way to go.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2006, 1:36 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if the Wetsounds' 485 is any quieter in the boat than the 80s?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-17-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
any coaxial hcld design (nvs or wetsounds) will be much, much louder in the boat than a seperate hcld driver...

doesnt matter wether you are standing or sitting down...the coaxials will be just as loud and yes they are louder than the seperate drivers..

(Message edited by clubmyke on November 17, 2006)
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-17-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
So are the 80s and the addictons coaxial?

WHich speakers have seperate hcld driver?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-17-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
skylon 350, 450
nvs 808, 1010
westsounds 485
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-17-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
Tower speakers? Yes I like them.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-17-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
btw, just to clarify..

"the coaxials will be just as loud and yes they are louder than the seperate drivers.. "

i mean inside the boat..