Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    n8nizzle            08-16-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Anyone have any comparisons on these boats... or any other boats that may fit the bill of:

-Under 10k
-Nice wake w/ out 2000lbs of ballast (right now I'm working on a 180 over the wake on my crappy fishing boat, so the wake is not a HUGE factor right now)
-Comfortable w/ at least 6 people
-Good quality older boat
-Preferably an open bow.

From what I understand the SN2001 is the boat to get if you're looking for a cheap wakeboarding boat. However, wakeboarding is about 80% of what I do on the boat, and would prefer an open bow. The Tristar 190 seems like it may fit the bill... (also like the fact that it has fiberglass stringers --- I've already replaced a floor and stringers in my 1970s glastron and it was hell and expensive --- but i could do it again for the right deal)...

Anyone have any other suggestions for open bow boats w/ those criteria? Malibu sunsetter?

The SN2001 82-89 seems to be perfect w/out the open bow, so I guess I'm really looking for a comparison of the SN2001 to any similiarly priced wakeboard boats with an open bow.

Thanks,
Nate
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-16-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
If you can find a hydrodyne they are very well built and the grand sport is open bow (room for 10) lots of power gt40 and it through a good wake when weighted. you could find a late eighties or early ninties for around 10k. check my profile to see mynz
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-16-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
Tri Star(closed bow) wake is weak compared to SN2001. Not even close. I rode behind the MC for about a year and owned a 2001. Maybe an older MC 205 would be a good option for a few more thousand dollars.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-16-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
The Tristar 190's are very cramped inside for an open bow. The molded swim pform is included in the length, so it's more like an 18' boat inside. You might also look at older Supra SunSports and Malibu Sunsetters and Echelons.