Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    damnation            08-11-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
Now that I've got a new tow vehicle, it is time to rip it apart and install a system.

Does anyone know of a website that sells discounted JL Audio stuff? I can find everything else, but the JL is hard to find online.

So far I know I want a Pioneer DEH P7500MP head unit, JL components to fit factory 6x8" cutouts (front and rear), Diamond Audio M5102.4 10" sub in a Q-Logic enclosure to fit under the rear seat, and either a Kicker 02KX700.5 or JL Audio 500-5 amp.

I've never used the Kicker amps. Does anyone know anything about their 5 channel amps? I'm worried about not getting enough power to the sub (sub is 350 W nominal).

Any other suggestions?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-11-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
Dave,

I am having my system set up by a guy who installed the system on the Playboy Boat. I bought a Rockford Fosgate 900W Mono Amp just for my JL Audio sub (the sub was already with the boat at time of purchase). I also bought a 640W Kenwood Amp for the rest of the speakers.

He said to get the best performance you want to run a mono amp to the sub, and then another amp to the rest of the speakers. You also want to run some 4-8 guage wires for the most power. You want to run this off of a seperate battery as well. Hope this helps!
Old    damnation            08-11-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
Well, a seperate battery probably isn't an option. You are running a much higher quality subwoofer than what I want (that would be loud as hell in the cab of an F150!). I am strongly considering running a mono amp for the sub as you stated. I thought space was a problem, but I have more room under my seat than I thought. Also, if the sub amp goes down it won't take my whole system down.

I am also leaning toward the JL Audio component systems for the mids/highs. The JL stuff isn't cheap though!

Thanks.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-11-2003, 10:52 AM Reply   
oh...my bad, i thought you were putting this stuff in your boat!
Old    damnation            08-11-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
Nope, boat is already squared away. Thanks though.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
I've got a 500W amp with the fronts running off two channels with the 12" sub run of the other two channels bridged. The rears run off the deck. It sounds good but "good" is a relative term I guess. I am building a custom box to go in the rear foot well (7 seater) that will take 2x10's. I think I will change it around to run the front & rears off the 500 & add a mono amp to run the 2x10's when funds allow.
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-12-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
i have a US acustic 4065 amp and its great power my orion 5 1/4 mid / high in front and my infinity kappa 5 1/4 in the rear wit h65x4 rms ... then i have a cadence A7HC 1200watts rms (closer to 1450rms) running an adire audio brahma 12. It gets loud .. look into the pioneer DEH 8400 i got that face and it rocks!!!
See if u can stay away from JL since they are really $$ and not worth the money in my opinion. Check out MB quarts or Rockford Fanatic X series ... or some CDT audio speakers and orion HCCA speakers (components or coaxial both are good from all these companies)... lemme know if u have ne other questions ...
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-12-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
I have the kicker 700.5 amp in the boat. IMO the sub gets plenty of power. But, I know its all relative. I think the JL amp has a rated power less than the Kicker, but everybody I talked to says the JL amp is superior. Its pricey too.
Old    holbywan            08-12-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
I bought all my stuff out on eBay. They have just about everything. Do your research on Crutchfield.com and then check out eBay to save some $dough$. Some killer deals if you are patient.

As far as the gear it all looks pretty good to me. I decided on an Alpine MRD-M300 for the subs. Hits like a champ. www.sounddomain.com is where I bought all the knick knacks, power cable etc.

Oh, solder everything and then heat shrink! Better connections, looks better, etc.

-Chris
Old    whynot            08-12-2003, 6:12 PM Reply   
"Oh, solder everything and then heat shrink! Better connections, looks better, etc. "

-- If I do it right you won't see anything. J/K

I've never bought stereo equipment over eBay. Do you just have to trust them that it is in new condition or just a roll of the dice thing?

Looks like it is going to be JL amps (300-4 and 250-2), JL W3-D6 10" sub in Stealth box, JL components in doors, DEH7500 head unit. I know, all JL, but it should hit.

Thanks guys.