Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-08-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Last year, I orchestrated 2 group buys for Rankin Covers on PlanetNautique. I think they benefitted everyone involved, and Rankin has expressed interest in doing another one this spring. This is a great chance to grab a cover before summer hits!

A little background info for those who are unfamiliar with these covers: Rankin offers top of the line Sunbrella covers that are truly trailerable. Their workmanship is top notch. The covers use a drawstring that tightens with a ratchet system and attaches firmly to the rub rail, so no snaps are necessary. The covers fit so well that no support poles are needed to shed water.

I use my Rankin (which I bought in the first group buy last year) as my primary mooring cover when the boat is on the lift. I also towed over 2500 miles with it on last year, and it performed flawlessly.

This group buy is applicable to any boat for which Rankin has a template. They have templates for many of the major brands and models, including Nautiques, Mastercrafts, Malibus, Tiges, Supras, and Centurions. For specific years and models, contact Rankin directly to confirm availability. They can be reached at (425) 483-9266 from 7am - 4pm Pacific Standard Time.

See Rankin’s website for more information: http://www.rankincovers.com/

All info relating to this group buy (plus lots of pics) can be found on PlanetNautique:

http://planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=8240

Thank you for your interest!
-Tim
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-10-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
Whoops, the correct link is here: http://planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10634

Sorry about the confusion!
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-10-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about it. I've heard nothing but good things about their covers. One question about the tower cutouts, how tight is the seal? My current cover lets so much dust in the cover I have a sand castle in my boat.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-10-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
Any pics of one on a Calabria Pro V
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-10-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
Evil, they are tight enough that I haven't had a problem.

Just called and ordered mine through the group buy... thanks for organizing this. I had a Rankin on my old boat. They are awesome...no stock cover will ever come close in matching the quality, fit, or ease of taking on/off.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-10-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
Tim I saw your thread on CCFAN, glad to see you here too!
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
They fit very snug. Has not rubbed or chaffed the gelcoat. This is on Sanger v210

Upload
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-10-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
why dont they cover the back of the boat.
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-11-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
evilone, I dont have a tower on my boat, so I cant say for certain how well they seal- but I imagine they work well. There is a pic of the tower cutouts on the PN link.

Rob, Rankin didnt tell me that they had any Calabria templates, so I dont have any pics. Give them a call and see what theyve got: (425) 483-9266.

Scooter, they dont cover the back of the boat because of the way they attach. Check the link to PlanetNautique to see some close up pics. If youre worried about covering the transom or platform, you can always have the sun skirts added.

Cal, thanks for the comments and the order!

For anyone else interested, the easiest way to order is to download the order from from PlanetNautique.
Old    alanp            03-11-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
hey guys i called rankin about adding sun skirts to your cover( i live in az and this is a necessity). they are 250.

tim thanks. once i get to a computer that has excel illl send u my info.
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-12-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
Alanp, click the link to Planet Nautique above. You can download the order form there (its in MS Word). All the instructions and pricing info is contained in that document.
Old    tythurston            03-12-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
They make covers for Bu's too right??
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-12-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Ty- yup!

Like I said up top, "They have templates for many of the major brands and models, including Nautiques, Mastercrafts, Malibus, Tiges, Supras, and Centurions. For specific years and models, contact Rankin directly to confirm availability."
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-12-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Adding to that, they have templates for just about every boat out there -- not just those brands listed.

Rankin pretty much owns the market for inboard boat covers in the Seattle area (where Rankin is located). So if SOMEBODY owns the same model as yours and they live or bought it in the Seattle area, there is a high probability that Rankin has a template for it.

I think it's funny that when you boat on Lake Washington and look at other boats on boatlifts, the majority seem to have Rankin covers. The others... are Cobalts. ;)
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-13-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Rankin on Pro-V
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Phaeton, looks great! Thanks for the pics.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-16-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
Here is another picture. This is on a 2004 Calabria Cal-Air. The Calabria dealer in Seattle use to use Rankin exclusively. The ownership changed hands a couple years ago so I am not sure if they have templates for the Calabria's with the newer tower.

Upload
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-17-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
I might be interested in this. Are poles required to keep water from pooling on these covers (I have a 2006 Supra 24 SSV)?
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-17-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
Mike, no poles or snaps required. These things fit tight! The slope from the windshield back is enough to keep the water from pooling.

All of the info is on Planet Nautique- follow the link in the first post to check it out.
Old    K.B.C.            03-17-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
I bought one for my 210 through the group buy last year on PN. I would highly recommend the Rankin if you need a cover. I am extremely happy with mine.
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
I submitted the first group of orders on Friday. Anyone who had given me an order form at that point should have received an email. If I somehow missed you, please send me an email.

Thanks for your interest!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
apprximatly how much will they cost??
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-25-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Bill, click on the link to Planet Nautique in the first post. All the info (including pricing) is there.
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-31-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
I have a few questions:
1) Is there still time to order?
2) Do these covers work with a mirror attached to the windshield? All the pics look like the mirrors are attached to the tower, or the mirror has been taken off? We have the stock Malibu mirror, which is on the windshield.
3) What is the typical cost?
4) How long will it take to get it?

Thanks guys!
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-01-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
Mike, a few answers:

1) Yes! I dont have an end date for accepting orders yet, but will update this thread when I do.

2) I assume the mirror folds flat? If so, it should be fine. The Cipa mounted on my Nautique windshield doesnt interfere with my cover.

3) Check the link to Planet Nautique. All the pricing info is detailed there.

4) This is Rankin's busiest time of year, so lead time can be up to 6 weeks. It might be quicker, but it might not be. Its well worth the wait!
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Tim. When folded down, the mirror is still above the windshield, but we can probably fix that.

Thanks again
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
Any pictures of Malibu's with the Rankin??
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-01-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Mike, click on the link to Planet Nautique! There are several pics of Rankins on Malibus there:

http://planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10634
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
Tim, I don't see any photos. Are they in another link on the site, or should they just pop up in the text? Maybe it's a computer thing, since I'm sitting here at work. Who knows. I think I'm ordering one. Sounds like a really good deal.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-01-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
I see the pics just fine. Must be work.
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
Damn bastards!

By the by, I just called and the $25 cost, on the order form, for tower cut-outs is incorrect. The girl told me that the tower cut-outs are included in the $625.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-01-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
Is it too late to get into the group by, I need to order a cover for my BU. Please email with details. I would love to order soon.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-01-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
Is it too late to get into the group by, I need to order a cover for my BU. Please email with details. I would love to order soon.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-01-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
I understand the covers are high quality and fit perfect, but $625 for a cover that doesn't cover the swim deck just doesn't fit my budget. Oh well, I'm a cheap-a$$.
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
Tim - When will you be submitting the next round of orders? If it's a few weeks out, can I call them myself and place an order with the group buy?
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-02-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Mike, send me an email and I can send you some pics of the Malibus. The photos should be showing up in the thread on PN. I will be submitting the next round of orders next week at the latest.

Tuna, its not too late- I promise Ill update this thread with a deadline when we set one. I just dont have time to track everyone down, so please click on the link to Planet Nautique (above) as all the info you need is posted there. Then you can email me the order form.

Rod, its simply not possible for the cover to protect the swim platform with the way they attach at the transom. I had the same issue, so I ordered the sun skirt option- so now I have protection to the waterline 360 degrees around the boat. They zip off for towing. If you dont need the side skirts, I bet they'd be willing to just put one on the rear for you. Give Rankin a call and see what they can do: (425) 483-9266
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-03-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
tim,

Thanks for the update I did check out the web site and will be ordering my cover. One question, Rankin offers 2 different materials, sunbrella and a brand (can't think of name)that's a no stretch, which one would it be?
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-04-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
Tuna, Im not sure where you got that info- as far as I know, all of Rankin's covers are made with Sunbrella. While not cheap, its the best cover material available. If you want to read more, check out the official website: http://www.sunbrella.com/na/en/marine.pl
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-05-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
Tim,

I Talked to Rankin. They told me that they offer 2 different covers, one being sunbrella and the other being the same as sunbrella (but's it's a different name and I can't remember). The girl told me that they are pretty much the same, but a man there told me that this other material is a no stretch fabric. The girl at Rankin also told me that it depends on what color you choose, if they don't have sunbrella in black then they will use the other material. I just talked to her on Friday the 4th.
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-05-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Interesting- thats the first Ive heard of that. Ill have to ask Pat about it next time I call.
Old     (creko)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-08-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Tim - I sent in my order, hope it's not too late. Thanks for the opportunity.
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-10-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
Clay, I got it!

I just submitted the second round of orders. Everyone who had sent me a completed order form should have received an email. Please contact Rankin at your earliest convenience with your payment info. If you sent me an order form but did not receive an email, please let me know ASAP!

Thanks to everyone for your interest!
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-26-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Group 3 was submitted yesterday. Anyone who sent me an order form before that should have recieved an email. If I missed you, please let me know!

Thanks to all for your interest.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-26-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
When I got my 2001 Cal-Air, I had a Rankin cover and ended up getting a second too. When I sold the boat 2 seasons ago the 1st cover was still going strong, still holding out dust, dirt and water too! The second cover never end used was handed off to the lucky buyer of my boat!

Upload
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-28-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Tim - Was the April 26th order the last chance to place an order? Has an end date been set yet?

Thanks
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-28-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Mike, still no end date. Ill update this thread when I have one.
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-29-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
Thanks Tim
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-29-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
I have a Rankin also and it has bungie style fittings around the tower.Upload
Upload
Upload