Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                04-05-2004, 7:30 PM Reply   

Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-05-2004, 9:33 PM Reply   
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-05-2004, 10:36 PM Reply   
thats awesome, i bet you is calfs are so strong

Danny Turner
HYPOXIC FILMS
hypoxicfilms.com
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-06-2004, 2:53 AM Reply   
you know in that third pic i dont quite think he sank his hips enough and as a result optimal camera angle-age was not obtained.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-06-2004, 4:43 AM Reply   
LOL !!!!!!!!!!
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-11-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
thats hilarious
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2004, 9:28 PM Reply   
Those are pretty funny. Here's one of my techniques...
Tube shots with Mike Schwenne at Lake McClure.  (photo: Isler)
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2004, 9:35 PM Reply   
and here's a technique used by Mike Isler for some wakesurfing shots with Schwenne. Both of these were done during a weekend in which Mike and I did several photo shoots with Schwenne at his houseboat on Lake McClure.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2004, 5:13 AM Reply   
Great shots Garrett! How much are those WP housings running these days?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-12-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
Hey Garrett just wanted to let you know I always read that article "Wakeboarding Photography: Basics to the Big Time
". That is an awesome article, thanks!

http://wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=553
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
Rich -- I think I paid $175 for my water housing. It fits my 1D, a 550 EX flash, and wide angle lenses. Because Canon's lenses (that I use) have a 77mm diameter, I had to buy the UAXP 80 model (80mm diameter port, that comes with an adapter to make the Canon glass flush with the port). It's definitely served it's purpose so far, although I will be upgrading to a custom housing in the near future.

Pierce -- Thanks for the compliments. I wrote that article hoping to help people make better use of their cameras and get some quality pics from days spent on the water, so I'm really happy to hear that you're finding it helpful.

Take care,
Garrett

Garrett Cortese Photography
www.gacphotos.com
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2004, 5:29 PM Reply   
that's a pretty good price, what brand is it? But do you really need it? :-)
Wet 1d
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2004, 11:12 PM Reply   
Rich--

The brand of my housing is Ewa-Marine:
http://www.ewa-marine.de/english/index.htm

You can find it online at at B&H or Adorama:
www.bhphotovideo.com
www.adorama.com

That review is pretty much spot on for the 1D's water resistance, as well as L series glass. I've used my 1D in both rain and snow for Colorado football and soccer games, as well as other things out here in the Rocky Mountains. A regular wipe down with a towel and I've never run into any weather-related problems. And, despite being fully insured, I have some hesitations taking my very expensive camera onto an inflatable tube to be towed backwards by a boat going about 25 mph. I don't know, maybe it's just me...

Doing tube shots I've been bucked out more than a few times from rollers and from drivers taking off while there is still slack in the rope. While I was nearly run over by Aaron Aubrey during one of those mishaps, I was more concerned about my camera hitting his board than my face. I just don't think dunking a camera and lens completely underwater would be very good for its health. Cameras and water really don't mix. If they did there wouldn't be such a thing as water housings.

I'll be back in Nor Cal in a month after I graduate May 7 and I'm really excited to get back on the water and start shooting again. The good ol' Delta and California sun have been calling my name for a few weeks and I can't wait much longer (fortunately I don't have to).

Take care,
Garrett

Garrett Cortese Photography
www.gacphotos.com
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-13-2004, 2:23 AM Reply   
wow look at that! a pro wakeboard photographer taking a pic of a pro wakeboard photographer taking a pic of a pro wakeboarder who is wakesurfing. ha.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-13-2004, 5:34 AM Reply   
"I was nearly run over by Aaron Aubrey"

Yep - Aaron's kind of like a SCUD missle, you're never sure where he's going to land!

Thanks for the link! Make sure you find time this summer to get out to the island!
Old                04-17-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
Hey Garrett have you ever had any problems with the bag leaking? I read a couple weeks ago on wakeboarder.com about someone that the seem came apart letting there camera be exposed to the water. For some reason I cant think of who it was!?
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-17-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
Kyle--
I've never had any problems with my bag. I usually give it a bathtub type test at least twice a summer to make sure everything's ok. Josh Robinson and his Canon 10D were the unfortunate victims of a broken seal. His is the first case I've heard of where something like that happened. For the most part the bags are really reliable. I'm also not too concerned because my equipment is fully insured, so it could be replaced pretty quickly after an incident.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-17-2004, 10:52 PM Reply   
Yes... A horrible incident that.

My stuff is also fully insured, although my Camera came out fine in the end. Bettery grip is dead however, as the water came in the bottom (Split Seam) and mainly stayed there.

Oh yeah... I don't like those bags any more...
Old                04-18-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
Oh yeah thats right well it sounds like it could have been worse then it was, are you going to by a custom housing now Josh? I would imagine you wont by another one of those bags!?
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-18-2004, 11:22 PM Reply   
I can't afford a custom housing unfortunatly... I'll probably keep using the baggy actually, after it gets repaired or replaced. I'll just always cringe when I put my cam in there. Kinda sucks.

Anyway, here are some of my 'photo taking techniques'

Standing on a ladder in the middle of a lake...

On top of Lamp Posts...

Sorry about the craptastic picture quality - video grabs
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-18-2004, 11:25 PM Reply   
Or how about in the path of oncoming boats...

Or just standing around...

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-19-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
Josh:

I know you already know this but I'll say it anyway!
You should seriously consider selling that 10d and getting a good used 1D (or obviously a mkII if you can swing it!) If you're in the water that much the extra water resistance would be great. (Although I think you found that out with your EWA if I'm not mistaken). I wish now I had got the 70-200 f2.8 L IS because of those seals. My cam is always getting splashed or sprayed by something. The 1D pictures hold up well even when cropped with the 10d's. Best move I ever made was selling my 10d and getting one!
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-19-2004, 6:25 AM Reply   
I know... I want... I want... A mkII would just be PERFECT. I couldn't think of anything better, but there is no way I could swing it for a long time. 1D... It could be in my future. It depends. I HAVE NO MONEY!
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-21-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, this is the view from the top of the ladder a little later in the evening:
I'm glad I had that idea...

The worst idea I ever had was to actually sit on the end of the slider as someone hit it. That almost cost me a large chunk of my head... Or at least a very serious concussion.

The boarder actually had to ollie over my head... Scariest moment of my life.