Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Anyone got a idea as to where to purchase a set of surf style fins for a slingshot arcane? I like board but looking for more of a 2 out side fins instead of the quad fins. Also looking to add a little more straight line grip but something easy to break loose and fast.

I know nuthing about surf fins so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-14-2012, 9:38 PM Reply   
I don't think there are any other fins made to work the same way as the SS Arcane from what I know. Why not just take out the 2 back fins and try it out? I've done that before and it surfs well and still can break loose for 360's. Adding more fins will typically slow down the board because it adds drag. If you wanted to make it a thruster (3 fin) for more straight line grip, you would have router into the board, and epoxy in a fin box... but adding that fin would make it a lot tougher to break loose.
Old    surfdad            07-15-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
I saw an Arcane several years ago at a trade show and if memory serves, they used a mini-tuttle box. If that is the case, they should interchange with all of the modern Inland Surfer non-skim style fins. If you have a buddy that owns one of the non-skim Inland Surfers, like a Blue Lake or Red Tide, it would be a quick check to see if they'll fit. If there isn't an Inland board close by, I'd bet Lance at Inland or Todd at Townza.com could do a quick measurement for you. Check the picture below to see if that base, the notch'y part at the top, is similar to what's in your board now.
Attached Images

Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
erock - im riding it right now with only the 2 front fins that came with the board. your right it does break loose super easy. almost as easy as my buddies phase 5 oogle. But im trying to learn 360s right now and when i fall back to start pumping forwards, the back will slide down the wake sometimes and ride sideways. You gotta stomp the back down to get it lock back in. its weird.

surfdad - that does look like the base. for the fin. I appreciate you telling me about that. Ill have to email inland surfer and ask them the size to verify before i order them.

since im sure you know way more about fins then I do, would 2 front bigger fins do what Im wanting it to do? or am I wasting time and money?
Old    surfdad            07-17-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
Also looking to add a little more straight line grip but something easy to break loose and fast.

Not sure on that board. Deeper fins typically help with grip and drive, but reduce the ability to break the fin loose. That breaking loose is the fin failing, so more fin would make it harder to cause that failure. I'd give it a try if it's in your budget.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
ill give it a try. im thinking the 5.8 in fin. I can spin the board with the quad fin setup. but when i use that one, im way to far back when i finish a spin to pump back up. Im actually over spinning the 2 fin set up right now. ive done a 540 on accident quite a few times.

If I just absolutely hate them, ill take them off and drill a set of holes in them just to see. Ive always wondered what what happen if you drilled a holes in a fin. Like would it lock in and grab when going straight and then break loose easier when you turned it. kinda like drilling holes on the base of a I/O prop. I just dont know wether the water moving past is fast enough to "close" up the hole.