Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-07-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
Alot of well deserved mud slinging has gone on lately about mastercraft, malibu and supra. Well I wanted to pipe in after going to the boat show last night. Salty you missed it! Sorry you couldn't make it. To be honest I didnt like the X-star..untill last night. I have ridden behind the 07' tourney x-star and there were a few things I didnt like about it. The 07' tourney boat has the 400 hp engine with a open exhaust (very loud) no talking while pulling a rider, just too loud. and then the interior just wasn't up to par for me for that price of a boat. Now after seeing the new x-star I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED! The interior is way better now, VERY well done lots of angles and 2-3 diff materials..NICE. i also found out that the normal 330 hp eng runs a diff exhaust and is way more quit that the 400 hp eng. Problems solved for me. NOW! The x-star wake is really diff than any other wake I have ridden. Its a LONG less rampy wake, very nice for even for beginers but will throw you out in the flats if you want. I LIKE IT NOW. DIS-LIKES The price and how many models they make! 30-40 diff models?? What the hell are they thinking?? I Don't get it. My household income is way over $200k and I just can't swallow the price $81,000-$102,000...what? They sold the x-80 (which I love) a couple days before the show so it and the 300 were missing.

Supra..yeah I love them. I have been riding behind the 09' SSV 23 for over a year now. not over stated, built well (all boats have some probs) but nothing lacking in design or construction. Very nice BIG tower, the xtra storage on the bimini is awesome. Now the World pkg and the bro stock boats pkg..big problem. Having a ugly tower (my opinion, get over it) is one thing, having a ugly tower and building it like another. The forward leaning black arm (trying to hard to be diff) looks like it was melted metal poured into a mold back in 1886. Im sure thats a $6 part. It has a VERY very rough surface (doesnt match the other smooth expensive looking well made parts) Its hollow when you thump it, and it has several SHARP barbs hanging off it that could open you up if you ran your arm or hand down the surface for some reason. THEY SHOULD BE REALLY EMBARRASSED OVER THIS PART. Who could look at this part and give it the OK! (i can see 2 engineers sitting around..ear...you take a hit now..smoke) Yeah! that part will work..go ahead! Stupid idea supra. With that said..Supra, on a scale of 1-10 they get a 8 or a 9! for price, design, looks.

Axis 22...one of the coolest boats out there. This boat has a coolness factor that beats alot of upper end boats. i looked it up and down for defects, poorly made parts and bad ideas. NONE FOUND! Let me just say THANK YOU TO MALIBU/Axis for listening to the boaters and riders, and giving us a boat that will fit more people, more familys and more fun for all! I think it will fit in my garage, it looks like a updated batman boat (yes, Its cool) frameless windshield, big open bow, 2-3 different materials, lots of cool stealth like angles, 900 lbs stock with the wedge and pre-plummed for the option bags. this boat is cool, its bigger than a 20' and not to big like a 23' might be. everyone can afford it, its has the 03" malibu mold bottom on it I was told. It is VERY WELL BUILT. I only found 2 little problems. The standard mirror is bolted to the windshield and I think most people would leave it open most of the time, so no mirror unless you get the optional tower arm, oooh big deal. lol. The other small prob was in the Axis name plates at the rear of the boat they had pretty sharp edges on them and would definitely cut you open sitting there adding surf weight or holding the rope. Oh, one other kind of bad area was storage under the seats, it was a little shallow 12'-15" tall? not tall enough to put a regular cooler in there but nice enough for xtra storage. oh yeah..no ice chest at all. thats why I was looking at the shallow storage. There was nothing not to like about this boat and base these views off of the basic model for $45,000 with all the options you really want it was $51,700 and on the cool factor it was really cool. Added ballast, axis wrap, color, leds, fold up seats, led runway lights on the trailer, nice rims and tires. On a scale of 1-10 this boat is a 7 or a 8 for me. I hope its not perceived as a starter boat and loose Its coolness factor. its all anybody really needs in a boat. I am not a over the top kind of guy..very humble Im more of a minimalist. I still have my 89' supra, my 97' Jeep (work truck) because they make since and they do the job well ( yes, I have new ones too, 04" G35, 08' Armada-the tank) I will be in the market for a newer boat this year or next and will be looking at a newer and bigger v-drive and If Im going to spend $25-$30 on a Malibu or a Supra Its not a far jump to a Axis. Well done guys..well done.

All of theses boats are well made and pretty damn cool, yes, there are some things that bug us or don't make sense but we are all in the same boat (lol) and love the sport and boating. Lets make the sport better by backing each other rather than attacking the person or our boats. i think boat people or boarders are a breed unlike any other and when someone tells me they have a boat or that they wakeboard (and some skiers,lol) they get xtra respect from me. Jet
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-07-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
"its has the 03" malibu mold bottom on it I was told."

Im not slamming you or being negative at all, just trying to kill a popular rumor:

You were told wrong. The Axis A22 has a unique hull designed specifically for the Axis A22. It is not an old Malibu hull.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-07-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
Unless I was lied to by more than one axis/malibu rep, the Axis A22 took the V25 hull (from the 05-08 vlx, and 09-10 v-ride 21) and tweeked the bow to give it the pickle fork, then removed one gorilla fin.

anyhow, the wake looks incredibly similar to my buddies 07 vlx and anothers 08 vlx.

regardless, the A22 is bangin and will be my next boat.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-07-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
I was pretty impressed with the Axis as well. It is a solid boat and for the price, I don't think anyone has anything that can beat the options and standard equipment for the price. Now that I know it has a wake similar to a VLX, I would like to take a set behind one.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-07-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
"Unless I was lied to by more than one axis/malibu rep, the Axis A22 took the V25 hull (from the 05-08 vlx, and 09-10 v-ride 21) and tweeked the bow to give it the pickle fork, then removed one gorilla fin."

This my understanding also.

It doesn't really make sense to throw a bunch of cash into reinventing a completely new hull.

Regardless -- I should be picking mine up within the next couple of weeks!
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-07-2010, 8:14 PM Reply   
As for the Supra tower, I personally love the new OPTIONAL progressive tower but I agree it is a personal preference thing. It is actually constructed of all aluminum and is rock solid, alot stringer than some of the cast towers out there. It is coated in a line-x type material. I'm not sure about the rest of the things you are describing about it such as sharp edges, etc. Maybe the dealer made some modifications to it as my tower has nothing of the sort. But for those who don't like it, it is an option on all models.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
U were lied too... I have been told many many times from Adam McCall himself that it is a unique hull designed for the Axis...

(Message edited by stepintoliquid on February 09, 2010)
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
And Congrats Ed! Make sure you post up some pictures when you pick her up!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-09-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Good stuff Jet. So when do you get your new boat??
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-09-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
Kevin, I hope that both Adam and my sources are both correct. IF the axis took the v-25 hull but modified the front end, then yes it would technically be a "unique hull design..." but still would be a V25 hull in respect to the area of the hull that actually makes the wake, the rear half.

Or maybe I am just holding onto hope that it is the v25 because that is my favorite wake. (besides the xstar but i am not rich)
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-09-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
I too was told by a Malibu employee who took part in the R&D meetings that the Axis hull is "based" off of the old VLX hull. I think the key word here is "based" meaning they took the original mold and tweaked it a little.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
That might be the case, either way its a sick wake!
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-09-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
yes..SICK! Unimportant which mold and i have ridden behind several BU's and haven't seen a wake I didn't like..THERE STEEP! and I dont think any salesman or owner of one of our finest boat dealers here in Dallas(W-America) was lying, no need to. You can see the wake on youtube and Its great!!