Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-28-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
I got my car broken into Friday night. My passenger side window was completely broken out. They took CD’s, change, and my wakeboard that I’ve only had for 2 weeks. It was a shane with one bindings. I was furious. I’m still waiting to speak with my insurance agent, but I really hope they’ll cover it. I don’t know what the deal is lately, but it seems like everyone is getting ripped off.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
sucks, Ben. Good luck with insurance.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-28-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
sorry to hear that....but "what the deal is lately" is this freakin' economy. people are desperate and cars/boats are easy smash and grab targets. hope your insurance comes through.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-28-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
sorry to hear that. reminds me though...i need to bring my gear in from the truck.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-28-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Sucks to hear ben. Ben burned the same way. I alwasy make it a point to take everything valuable out of my boat/car at the end of each day. Slap a chepo alarm on too, sometimes just a flashing red light is enough to keep the smash/grab guys away and move on to somethign "easier"
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-28-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
Yeah…I’m really hoping the insurance comes through for me. They also took my badge that let’s me in to the building I work in. I work for the government so I had to do all kinds of paperwork this morning for that. I have no clue why they would take that. In addition to that they took my friends keys too. She’s dog sitting for a friend and the keys to there house were on there. We couldn’t get in touch with them until yesterday to get the garage code. Fortunately the dogs were fine. Oh yeah…climbing up a tree and jumping from the tree to the balcony to get into my friends apt on the 2nd floor was fun too…
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
This may sound crazy but I leave my truck unlocked and take all the valuables out. I'd rather lose some cd's than file a claim for the window. I wish you well Ben. I know alot of companies wont pay out much on the personal property stolen from the vehicle plus you are out a deductible too. Bogus.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
Im not sure about a smash and grab but i know if the car is stolen i am covered up to $1000 on the contents of the car. I am with progressive.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
It just depends on the company/state you live in. You just need to read your policy provisions and see what you are entitled to.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-28-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Keep an eye out on craigslist for the board, good chance it will end up there
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       07-28-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Or eBay...
Old     (ndrider)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-28-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
We just had our boat broken into and the stereo ripped out. The boat was on the dock and we were sleeping in the cabin. Luckily the stereo was only worth about $50 and the boards were in the cabin. Gives me an excuse to get a new system.
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-28-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Hey eric I'm sorry to bash you and all but the economy hasn't got a damn thing to do with the fact that some people suck and will steal from other people. If you steal your a punk ass bitch and thats all there is to it. A man can take care of himself and those people he is responsible for without stealing from others.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Ummm yea, but the economy is going to make some turn to crime to support themselves and/or their family. You are correct on what kind of people they are, but these economic times means an increase in that type of behavior. Have you heard of the people going around and stealing copper pipes from homes? And an elderly man was killed when his home blew up. Criminals are to blame, but they got a lot of money for that "scrap" metal. And why? The current living situation of lower and middle class.
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-28-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
Sorry but I don't buy it. To steal is a choice. Every thief makes the choice to steal to provide for their need.

The fact of the matter is the economy is bad for the majority of the population but the majority of the population does not steal.

Do the math, that means there are other options out there.

I agree there are more instances of theft because of the downturn in the economy.

My argument is that you cannot blame "the economy" for crime. Only a person can be blamed for a crime.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
A-Dub I agree for the most part. I think drug problems play a large factor in this as well. At least in my area. Meth is destroying families. Making people do things that they would never consider.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Word, can't blame the economy exactly, but because of the economy you can expect it more. I agree it is a choice, and fortunately I don't think I'll ever need to resort to anything criminal, but you never know how far someone will go to support their family
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       07-28-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
"Meth is destroying families. Making people do things that they would never consider."

I disagree. I think the fact that someone allows himself to get into a situation where he would even try a drug like meth shows what kind of person he is. It is common knowledge what these kind of drugs do to people, and if you have loved ones depending on you, it is downright irresponsible to sacrifice your ability to care for them in exchange for a few moments of pleasure. Drugs don't destroy families, but they do allow weak people to destroy families.
Old     (151)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-28-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
A-dub, you bring up a very interesting point. (I hope we are kinda staying on topic here ben)

Like you said, how far is too far when trying to support ones family?

My thought is that once a mans options have been exhausted and he is at the point where he must resort to crime, that is when we as moral humans must step in and help.

Problem is there are lots of immoral humans.

those who would rather steal than ask for help, and those who would rather not offer help.

Crazy world.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
The junk is evil. Sure it takes a character flaw or a "weak person" to try it. I'm just saying that if this drug were off the streets in my area crime would be alot less and several kids would have better places to go home to after school.
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       07-28-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Agreed. The world would be a much, much better place without drugs. They have caused rifts in my own family that can never be repaired, all because of the poor decisions of one person.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
What do I think of theives, well that has already been stated by some of the other posts.

Now that I have said that, whether it is the economy or drugs, there is no excuse. Unfortunately, people who work hard to go forward in life are the ones who have to pay. 2 or 3 years ago, how many times did you have to pre-pay at a gas pump. Now, nearly every gas station that you go to you either have to pay at the pump or pay the cashier before you pump.

Then from the drug standpoint, to buy certain medicines and household items, you have to sign a paper so law enforcment can keep tabs on who may be buying to much cold medicine to make meth. I know these two instinces are moreless inconviences, however, they are still affecting the honest person.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
SUCKS!!!! I HATE THIEVES!!!!
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-30-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
As far as Insurance goes, You may have to file with both your auto for the broken window and your homeowners (or renters, or whatever you have) for the contents. I work as an adjuster and get tons of claims for property stolen from vehicles. I know some companies auto policies cover some personal property in vehicles, but if it does not, your homeowners should cover it. Only trouble is the deductible.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-01-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
It pisses me off when you work your arss off everyday then some shady b@stards take 5 mins break your window and get all your hard earned valuables! I mean those dudes need to get a effin job! its like the homeless people at a stoplight who are begging for money...I have come up with a remedy for this though...if you have those beggers in your area, go to the dollar store and buy a pack of 10 yellow pencils and keep them in your truck. when you see a homeless dude/chick askin for money hand them a pack of pencils and say I tell you what go sell each one of these pencils for 50¢ a piece, instead of usin that money for liquor, go buy another box of pencils and save the profit. do this enough and you'll have some money and in the process you've gotten up off your lazy arss and I've made you an entrepaneuer!

there were some problems last year around here of people targeting suv's and trucks. what they did was have a portable saw and go under your truck and cut out your cats and mufflers, and selling them. they could get a lot of money from them because of the small amount of some metal in them ..sold them to scrap metal places.

I hope your insurance covers it bro! I feel for you, I'd be livid!