Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-09-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
I am new to wakeboarding, this will be my second season. However, i am not new to board sports, I was involved in the Snowboard industry for many years and I have noticed that the wakeboarding industry runs their program a bit differently. Mainly concerning Videos.

Heres why.

Snowboarding- The snow videos would be released at a premier at the very beginning of each season, around October. It would get you stoked for 2 reasons. First, the obvious, to get you amped up to go ride in the following weeks. Secondly, you would get to see all the new gear (boards/bindings/boots/outerwear/goggles) being used by the pros. The same EXACT gear that was just released a month before, the same gear everybody just bought, but has yet to use. This was because the pro's would get/use/test all the "next years gear". They would be riding the 2006 boards during the 2005 seasons. Releasing the "2006 season video" just before the 2006 season began.

It was rad to see the pros out at local mountains riding/wearing "next years gear". Also, the video editors, who are amazing in both industries, would have the whole summer to edit, producing a really high quality video.

In wakeboarding, by watching a few videos (the truth, butter effect, counterfeit...) I have noticed that they are riding the 2006 boards/gear during the 2006 season, at the same time WE are riding that gear. Also, the videos are "as quickly as possible", seemingly hurried, released after the season, making an editors job even more challenging. Most riders get full use out of their gear and probably buy new boards every season or two. which means you are looking to buy, or have already purchased the next years board/gear while at the same time watching videos of the pro's on their "old stuff". Me for example, had 2007 board and bindings (ronix- covin/cell) in my hands while watching the newest video with last years gear. I am watching Danny riding last years board when i should be watching him on his ronix one...

I may be wrong in my thinking, but it seems that snowboarding has got this ONE thing over wakeboarding. I just think that we, as consumers, should be riding the same gear that we are watching on the wakeboard videos ... so that we can wear out our 2007 gear AND the 2007 DVD at the same time... word.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-09-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
don't over analyze. go ride and have fun
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-09-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
You make a good point. However, if that's all that snowboarding has on wakeboarding then I'll take my wakeboarding vids over snowboarding ones anyday! Don't get me wrong, I like to snowboard, but wakeboarding is a passion. I see your point, I guess that wakeboarding isn't pushed or propelled by the companies but more by the riders and the people just doing it for fun. It's still a relatively new sport that is still at it's roots and not tainted by companies just pushing their products. Yes there are companies that get their products out one way or another, I just don't feel like it's commercailized like other industries and other sports. Am I making any sense here guys?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
John, as far as gear is concerned, it isnt really apples to apples as far as comparison is concerned. Snowboards typically get pretty thrashed in one season, especially the boots and board. This is mainly becuase snowboards have flex and the boots are made out of faster degrading products (not a knock against the sport, just noting the facts). Combine that with the fact that just about anyone could ruin a snowboard from riding in the park at their local mountain.

Now wakeboards dont flex (except a couple specific models), the bindings are far more durable, and there arent jibs and objects at everyones convenience to thrash their board with. I personally know several absolute rippers who are content riding several seasons old gear. This is due to the time taken to "break in" a good pair of wakebinders and the longer lifespan those bindings have in comparison to a pair of snow boots.

I would compare wake more to skate or surf than snow. Its all about the skills not the product (although the manufacturers would like you to think otherwise). For some reason there is this belief that everyone is a killer rider that just needs the "right setup" to unlock their true potential, lol.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
i kind of agree with john. it would be nice to ride the same equipment you watch in videos, but at the same time i really like the way videos are put together right now. i dont think its anything against the videos, more its just it would be cool to ride theboards yousee in videos
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-10-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
There is a ton more money in snow.
Old     (kepano)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I second that Tim
Old     (burtonsnow9)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
"There is a ton more money in snow."

def true snowboarding's a lot older
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
snoring.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-12-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
Why does it matter what board they're riding? I'm more interested in the trick, background, pic angle, style, etc. The wake community demands for product as soon as it's available, and just so you know it used to be similar to that John. Pro wake riders would start riding the next years GRAPHICS around the middle of the Tour season. Kind of like how Harf did (I believe it was the X-Games, I'm prob wrong) last year. Sorry, I just don't get what the big deal is with riding something you see in a video. Ride last years model and watch this years movies= Problem solved. Most of the shapes are the same anyway.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Maybe my logic is flawed here, but I see it as a benefit to be able to ride the new gear right away, ie. soon after the pro's get it, rather than watch them ride it for a year and get it myself the following one. It would appear to me that the snowboard companies are holding off on the releasing new boards until they can build the hype and make more $$ whereas wakeboard companies release new equipment and videos as soon as they can.

(Message edited by rico80 on March 12, 2007)
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
We see what the pros use as soon as it's available through photos taken by the photographers and posted in mags and online. I think it's a pretty short time span between the time a new product is available and when it's "spotted"
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-12-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   

quote:

don't over analyze. go ride and have fun

Thats hands-down the best quote I've read on wakeworld and could be applied to 90% of the threads. Especially in the boat/board debate threads.

-Steve
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
Most of the wakeboard Co. release their new gear in late July/August for their pro's, available to public August/September prime filming months, so the pros will be riding their new boards. example: The 08 boards will be out in summer of 07.
Old     (shredthegnar)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-12-2007, 11:23 PM Reply   
i agree with the original poster completely, not over analyzing, just an objective observation.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2007, 3:35 AM Reply   
I like the idea that we the average Joe rider are out here using and providing our opinions on the newest gear. When I'm narrowing down what equipment to purchase I value what others of my skill level have to say about the equipment's characteristics and not whether my favorite pro is able to throw down a 1080 with it (the only Fish 1080 I know of is a slimy one thrown from the dock!) We should all feel special that the companies use us as their test bed