Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    blind5            03-01-2004, 10:32 PM Reply   
I finally got a chance to ride behind this boat the other day. This is an overall good wakeboarding boat, the wake is similar to a VLX wake but still has a little bit of that legndary super air wake. We had 8 skinny people in it with the 750 lbs. ballast system filled and i was impressed with the size of the wake. allthogh still not as tall as a 210. I would be intrested in how the wake looked with it loaded.
This boat has great options and looks awesome as well.

any questions?

(Message edited by blind5 on March 01, 2004)
Old    aka Brad Beach            03-02-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
How did the new Hydro-gate technology thing on the back work??? Did it make a difference down?
Old    blind5            03-02-2004, 8:15 PM Reply   
I think that this system really works, you can deffinently tell a difference, when you put the gate in wakeboard mode, the nose raises up and the wake becomes a little more vertish. i think that the gate works the best for skiers, when the gate is in slolom mode the roster tail shrenks, a lot, and that is a big aspect for skiers
Old    aka Brad Beach            03-03-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   
To me it looks like they hooked the hull too much and needed a way to solve the problem without reworking the hull design... Just my opinion but I'm a bit disappointed in Nautique for producing this type of contraption on one of thier boats... After seeing it at the show I have doubts that this gate will hold up to years of use...
Old    wolfpack            03-03-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
Does anyone have a good pic/can describe the hydrogate? I missed our boat show and would really like to see what they've come up with.
Old     (cryptic22)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index&name=PNphpBB2&f ile=album_cat&cat_id=5&sort_method=pic_time&sort_o rder=DESC&sid=79b8ed139f2b66cc5376a66a0a147394&sta rt=12
Old    wolfpack            03-03-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Is it really just a modified wedge idea? I thought there was more to it than that. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the pics.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-03-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
It is nothing like the wedge, closer to a trim tab than a wedge. It's way smaller than any trim tab you would have seen (TAPS, etc.) though.
Old    blind5            03-03-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
bbeach,
I know that it seems like something that they just stuck on there for a correction of something else, but it really does raise and drop the nose of the boat.

I do agree with you about the fact that nautique put one of these gimic-like things on there boat, but things change
Old    wolfpack            03-03-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
On those photos, is disengaged when it's up against the transom, and engaged when it's out from it? If this is the case, the when it's engaged, it's catching the water flow to try to pull the transom down into the water.
Old    happyrumdrinks            03-03-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
You really have to see this thing to get a feel for how it works. In pictures, it looks like a trim tab, but what you can't see is that the biggest, most trim-tab-lookin portion of the thing is a lever, not a control surface. The whole unit really operates more like a GATE, opening and closing flow over a portion of the hull, than a wing that trims the flow and creates lift. Really a cool idea when you get your mind around the physics of the thing.
Old    wolfpack            03-03-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
Ok, that's what I was asking, The thing you can see in those pictures is not actually the hydrogate. Anybody out there that can describe how it works?
Old    happyrumdrinks            03-03-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
Andrew,

I think it's a little pressure trick with Bernoulli's Principle...slow down the fluid flow right at the surface in the center dispersion tunnel. But I had just enough Fluid Dynamics to make good paper airplanes, so maybe someone else would offer an opinion. The only part of this thing that effects water flow is a 10 gauge (+/-) aluminum plate that moves straight up and down to close off the bottom center of the hull. The total surface area in contact with water when engaged (closed, slalom position) is maybe 8" wide by 1/2" high.
Old    happyrumdrinks            03-03-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   

Gate
Old    blind5            03-03-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Open position=wakeboard mode
Closed position=slolom mode
Old    wolfpack            03-03-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
Ahhhh, I wasn't looking at the flat plate against the transom. It looked like a mounting plate to me. Now I got it. Does anyone know if you leave it in wakeboard position, whether there is any porpoising at higher speeds?
Old    blind5            03-03-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
Acually, the dealers are claming that it does
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       03-05-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
If the Hydrogate is in wakeboard position the boat will have a tendency to porpoise a bit going down the lake. Immediate application of the hydrogate to slalom position will stop the porpoising.
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       03-05-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
Although the porpoising occurs at 30+mph. Not at wakeboarding speeds.
Old    blind5            03-05-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
Super airs do the same thing they are just stuck in wakeboard mode
Old    ag4ever            03-05-2004, 7:25 PM Reply   
Yup, the supers do porpoise at higher speeds. The best you can do to minimise it is to fill the loker tank, empty the rear tanks, and put as many people toward the front as you can, and reduce the speed a bit. Once it start, it will just get worse till you slow down. I can just about jump the boat out of the water by careful application of the throtle during a severe porpoise attack. The wife hates it when I do it.

I just wish the 211, had an interior more like the 210, then I might get it. Till then, I will just be happy with my SANTE.