Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-28-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
I would like to buy a new board. I am sharing my board with my brother and everyone else who comes riding and think that I will treat myself to something cool. If you had a choice and money was no object what would you buy. I am 6'1 and 180lbs. My standard is basic but getting better. also why would you buy a particular board?
Old    innov8actionsports.com            10-28-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I would buy an 07 CWB Tanscend 142 with 07 CWB Zeus.
Why, because for me its the best setup I have ever been on it does everything I want Great speed, Great pop, very nice landings and It looks bad A$$ as well. You get it all IMO with this setup.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-28-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
I'd tell you to try yourself some different Liquid Force boards and bindings. I've had great success with LF products and the rare warranty issue that's come up. I believe out of our crew of about 10, 9 of us ride LF. The product has treated our group very well over the years and I've stuck with them for 9 years.

For bindings the Ultra's, Transits, Shanes, and Watsons are all amazing higher end boots with different characteristics depending on what you're looking for. There are many boards I could steer you towards depending on what you're looking for in a board.

When it comes down to it, I'm going to tell you to demo different set ups within and outside of every manufacturer that gets listed in here. Get a feel for a few setups from different companies and then based on what you're looking for in the product make a selection.

Don't let anyone knock you for the decision you make, you my friend are becoming a more idependant member of the wakeboarding community. So go out there and get something that works for you and push yourself to ride better!
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-28-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
If you were to go with CWB, I would go for an Absolute Platinum 141 and Zeus bindings. The absolute is more of an all around board for riders. I have found the Transcend to be just a bit too slow and has a different kind of pop.

With LF, I would go with a Watson 142 and Transit bindings. Same for the Watson, a great all around board.

The best thing for you to do is to find a shop to let you demo.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-28-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
How do you guys think the new Byerly will be?
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-28-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
I would try any of the CWB platinum boards and either the Zues's or Fuse's. I would also try the Ronix One & Covin with the One or Cell bindings. Or the LF Watson setup. Those are, IMO, the coolest boards on the market, depends which rides best for you.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-28-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
OH yeh, also the Byerly setup.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-28-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
What do you think about Zeus bindings on a LF Watson board?
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-28-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
Tracy - Good combo of course
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-29-2006, 1:24 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the information. I am not in a position to demo the boards. I live in the canary islands and there is one shop which sells boards, it is a big multi sport shop and they stock about three different boards. The staff know nothing about wakeboarding to ask them. My only option is to pick the best board and bindings based on advice from people who know better and buy it over the net from somewhere in the states.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2006, 5:21 AM Reply   
At this time CWB is it. Transcend or Absolute with the Zues or Fuse bindings. I just switched from my Hype set-up to CWB.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-29-2006, 5:41 AM Reply   
Money no object! You can buy mine for $1000000.00
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-29-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
I would buy them all!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-29-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
money is not really an issue and I ride a 2004 GB Harris board with 2003 Zeus bindings. Couldn't be happier with either.

Remember it is not always about having the "latest" cool thing, just something that is solid and works for you.
Old    davisrider            10-29-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Well, If you are a very aggressive rider, like me, the best setup is the 2006 Hyperlite Byerly w/ the 2006 Liquid Force Watsons. If you are a very playful novice rider, the 2006 Premier is a GREAT board. Im not sure what bindings for that board though, probobly the 06 Hyperlite murrays. I personally am going to try to buy the Ronix One Setup.

*alot of 07 stuf isnt that great nd is just more expensive
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-30-2006, 6:44 AM Reply   
obviously lots of you guys have your favorites and set ups you prefer. (Trevor)I would not describe myself as an aggressive rider but a novice who is keen to do better. I am not a young kid anymore so stuff hurts more when you fall hard!!!!!

Having looked at what you people have said and some of the reviews I am thinking about ordering a CWB platinum with hinged bindings (is it Zeus?)before I do that, any other information I should get? Anyone know a really good dealer that gives good service that will ship to europe?
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-30-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
Bro that's a good choice for you. The absolute has a softer landing. Contact this man, George Davis. His email is; george@sammyduvall.com
This guy should be able to hook you up. Make sure to tell him Duffy refered you.

(Message edited by duffy on October 30, 2006)
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-30-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
thanks duffy will send him a mail.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-30-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
I know for a fact also if you tell him you want the 06 Zues he will give you a great deal, providing their still in stock.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-30-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
Also, any thoughts on Transit or Watson bindings as compared to Zeus? Thanks!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-31-2006, 3:06 AM Reply   
Hey Tracy, I have tried the Watson and they are descent, and also the Transits seem to be O.K. I have a couple of guys who ride them.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-31-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
i actually prefer the watsons over the zeus ,i had both and sold the Zeus..

Ive actually ridden the Shanes,zeus and Watsons about 2 months each this season and settled on the watsons..

I think the main reason i didnt stick with the zeus is after they broke in they were too loose as i have a size 9.5/10 foot and bought the larges because the mediums made my feet turn blue in two minutes and were gonna take way to long to break in..Probrably a mistake on my part but also the zeus laces were too long and always got tangled even up in the elastic holder and also on hard landing or crashes the hinges would pop open..

Overall the zeus's were easy on and off and comfortable but the watsons are just as easy to get on and off but are a tad more comfortable on landings etc..i have a bad knee and the watsons seem to cushion the landings more..

Really the Shanes were the most comfortable binding ive ever worn but i kept banging my right big toe into the front on real hard crashes and it scared me a little and i sold them..they were awesome to ride though..

so Im set with and 06 CWB Abs platty with 06 watsons,really great setup for me anyway..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Wow...Bill you have experienced the worst case scenario for both. Many fear the Hinge will pop open, which I thought only happened on the first generation of Factions. Many also fear they will bang their toes against the close toe boot also, but again, it rarely happens.

I agree the Zeus get a little too loose. Some people love that flexible feeling though.

Have you tried the Fuses yet?
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-31-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
Bill, any complaints on the Watsons? I am trying to find something that will provide good cushioning on the landings and solid control but will be comfortable--I have Ultras now and after a long set my feet really start to hurt. Thanks!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Everyone's foot is different Tracy. I would recommend you try on as many boots as you can.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-31-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Tracey

Jrod is correct but in my case the only downside to the newer bindings like the Watsons compared to your old ultras is the laces..they are longer nowadays to open them up and make them easier to put on and pull off..

no problem for me since ive been wearing front laceups since 99.

For me the watsons are great so far,no downside yet..

Jarrod yea the hinge popped open but my feet stayed in and i was aware it happened from time to time on real hard landings or crashes so i checked them everytime to be sure...

On the shanes yea i was slumping with my tricks as i do from time to time and on ugly crashes where i normally would have my foot slide forward in an open toe ,my big toe kept slamming into the front of the binding..

It wasn't a big deal but decided i'll wait until the new closed toes come out or maybe they redesign the shanes a little and hear some feedback late in 07 to give them another try..I really think they are the most comfortable bindings out there but theres always a catch :-)