Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2013, 6:42 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if nautique is going to discontinue the super air 230? My brother is going to buy a 230 or G24. He likes the 230 better but has been told that nautique is going to discontinue this model. Or make changes. Any you nautique guys know anything? Thanks.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-26-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
I doubt they discontinue. How much money does he have, that gives you your answer.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-26-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
My dealer was "unsure" as to the future of the 230. I'm not into the G line, so not having the 230 in production will likely push me to another brand.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
Wow. I wish someone knew or he is going to be pushed to another brand too. He loves the hard vertical wake that the 230 has. He does not like the g24. Thinks looks too big and bulky.

Last edited by wakintime; 02-26-2013 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2013, 7:38 PM Reply   
Besides nautique what brand has that hard vertical shape?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-26-2013, 7:39 PM Reply   
If the g24 is too bulky, has he considered a g23?
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-26-2013, 7:47 PM Reply   
The 230 and the 210 are not going anywhere... That is a question I asked the President of Nautique when i met him at the factory in January.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2013, 7:53 PM Reply   
If that is true gonna have a happy brother. Any changes you know of on the 230 pennery?
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2013, 7:55 PM Reply   
Chatt, he just doesn't like the "g" series don't know why. It's not money so I have no clue.
Old     (rickB52)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-26-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
hahaha...
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-26-2013, 9:03 PM Reply   
I've always likes the sleekness and styling of the 230, the G seems cumbersome and demanding, not at all sporty, kind of like that fat kid in high school who was a linebacker on the football team, and yeah he was great in the position, but only cause he was fat, know what I mean?

Some MC's, all the wakesetters, and the 210/230 retain that sportiness, like the running back, great because he had a physical asset, not a real life physical hindrance, like the fat kid, but a bona fide advantage whether it be running a football or running from a hungry bear.

For my dealer to say "unsure" on the 230 is pretty damning evidence that we will soon witness the end of the 230.

But a redesign would be nice, with a nice low profile like the old star or like a slammed Enzo.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-26-2013, 9:16 PM Reply   
JetRanger,
According to pennery the president of nautique said the 210 and the 230 aren't going anywhere and my bro agrees with you opinion of the g series. Do you truly believe they are going to discontinue them? What brand of boat do you think has a wake closest to 230? Thanks.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-26-2013, 10:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I don't know why anyone would buy a G23 if you could get a G24. That's like buying a 7min ab workout video when you could have bought the 6min video.
Old    9Drozd            02-26-2013, 10:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
I don't know why anyone would buy a G23 if you could get a G24. That's like buying a 7min ab workout video when you could have bought the 6min video.
Haha Classic...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2013, 1:12 AM Reply   
You can't do anything in 6 minutes man. 7 minutes, that's what it takes. 7!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-27-2013, 2:33 AM Reply   
I've always likes the sleekness and styling of the 230, the G seems cumbersome and demanding, not at all sporty, kind of like that fat kid in high school who was a linebacker on the football team, and yeah he was great in the position, but only cause he was fat, know what I mean?

"Some MC's, all the wakesetters, and the 210/230 retain that sportiness, like the running back, great because he had a physical asset, not a real life physical hindrance, like the fat kid, but a bona fide advantage whether it be running a football or running from a hungry bear.

For my dealer to say "unsure" on the 230 is pretty damning evidence that we will soon witness the end of the 230.

But a redesign would be nice, with a nice low profile like the old star or like a slammed Enzo."

........what....are...you....talking......about? haha the 230 isn't going anywhere
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-27-2013, 2:48 AM Reply   
JR Smith- Nautique just spent a lot of money designing the NSS for the 230 and the 210 as well. Why would a company do something like that for a boat they were planning on discontinuing soon? They wouldn't and Jetranger has no idea what he is talking about. Your brother will be fine.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 4:06 AM Reply   
Seven chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sunflowers on my uncles ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 4:14 AM Reply   
I heard from a reliable source that the 210 and 230 will stay, but the interiors of both boats are going through a major redesign for '14 to essentially detune the boats an attempt to keep cost down. With the g21 coming out soon cc has to figure a way to create some pricing gaps between all of these boats. If this is true, I'm not sure how this will effect resale value of the 230. My friend has sat in the new g21, and he says that it feels a lot bigger than the 210, and is projected to cost about what a loaded 230 costs now.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-27-2013, 4:21 AM Reply   
Slightly off topic but for those of us that have been around a while... (read: older than crap - get off my lawn you young whipper snappers), it is interesting to see how when new boats come out that are different from the previous generation, you get a lot of resistance. Some of it may be very well deserved, some not. I am not trying to convince one way or the other, but here is a recap that goes back to the early 2000s.

Malibu introduces the reverse tower. Comments: Hideous, stupid, ugly, disgusting, will never catch on, what were they thinking. Where are we today? Hmmm.

Boats start getting more freeboard. Look at the boats from late 1990s to early 2000s. They sat VERY low, had short seats due to the low freeboard. No storage (e.g. classic 210). When bigger boats starting coming out in the early 2000s, people complained they were getting too big. All of them went this direction after that - the G series takes it to the next level, however.

Mastercraft releases the new XStar in 2004? (my date might be off a bit). Comments: a pig, handles like crap, they ruined the XStar, want the abrupt / steep wake of previous generation back, have to wait too long on the wake for pop, boat too big, pickle fork is hideous. Now, many love it and the wake it produces.

23ft - 25ft wakeboard boats get introduced. Comments: 21ft boats will always be the perfect, premier wakeboard boat in a line, who wants these big boats, they can't produce great wakes, handle like crap, won't catch on. Where are we now?

It's just interesting to see how boats adapt and so do the mindsets of the majority.

Maybe the G takes it too far - however, I don't think so - I bought one and am biased. The number rolling of the line indicate otherwise as well. I guess time will tell. For us it was about: Tons of storage - none taken up with bags. A wake with stock ballast better than my 230 with 1500 extra. Less sensitivity to side to side weight, etc. Yep, it doesn't drive as well as the 230, but it is all about trade-offs and personal preferences.

Back to your question: The 230 is a great boat and believe me, I parted with mixed emotions. I think the 230 still has a great life ahead of it. Get what you love and don't worry too much about the future. If you are concerned about rapid depreciation due to them possibly discontinuing it, buy a gently used one that has already taken the big hit to mitigate your concern.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-27-2013, 5:24 AM Reply   
Don't you mean the G22 Chatt? Or are you confusing it with the new G20?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 6:18 AM Reply   
TJ, damnit, you're right. Here are some pictures that I acquired of the new G20, G22 and G24:
Attached Images

Last edited by chattwake; 02-27-2013 at 6:23 AM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 6:19 AM Reply   
JR, tell your brother to take a hard look at the G20. It's a much smaller boat, as you can see. The G24 just seems too bulky and stretched out for my tastes.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-27-2013, 6:46 AM Reply   
Chat, you are relentless hahablahhhaa, too funny
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-27-2013, 6:54 AM Reply   
Chatt that is awesome.

OP
The only thing that I can think of similar to the 230 wake would be a supra wake. Although I don't know if you can get it as big as some of the slammed 230's. You might try the SA. As others have saidI doubt the 230 gets completely discontinued maybe just changed up since it will not continue as the flagship boat from Nautique.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-27-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
honestly the G23 is not for the faint of heart, its for people who wakeboard and load their (old) boat, they dont wanna stuff the front, they care about what happens behind the boat more than the "baller" factor. i still think its ugly as sin and the absurdity of the size boat and wake is a laugh and i have a hard time seeing people buy this boat for there kids to use. BUT all that said, i love it, its engineered not designed like some other competitors, ehem-c.... especially after digging through it and all the competitors boats. Its something you dont understand until youve driven it, ridden it, and dug through it especially compared to the other boats. The g23 is the best wakeboard boat, not v drive boat, not boat, the emphasis is on wakeboard. and as far as i know the 230 isnt going anywhere, nor is the new SA a steep wake from what i heard.

and its not the fat kid, its actually the 300lb kid that spends every day in the gym and benches 450. all the slight body builders with their six packs might scoff and laugh but everyone knows who the strongest one is...

I dont know why your wakeboat would ever have to run from a hungry bear, but if it did, im pretty sure i wouldnt want a wakeboat at all.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-27-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
OP, check out the Malibu 22MXZ. Lots of people leaving their current rides for this wake beast. Bigger/better wake than the 230 and only slightly smaller cabin area.

Imagine in my high school football analogy that the MXZ is the star quarterback, gifted in several areas, the king of the recess hallways, and the only one going full ride to a Division I school.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-27-2013, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post

and its not the fat kid, its actually the 300lb kid that spends every day in the gym and benches 450. all the slight body builders with their six packs might scoff and laugh but everyone knows who the strongest one is...

I dont know why your wakeboat would ever have to run from a hungry bear, but if it did, im pretty sure i wouldnt want a wakeboat at all.
great!! Better analogy than mine. Well played sir.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-27-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
the OP just bought a mxz, im sure his brother doesn't want the same boat. and the medium optioned prices are damn near as high as a loaded G on boat show special pricing up here.

the 230 isnt being discontinued as far as i know, and either way its a great hull, but test drive a G before you buy... itll all make sense why the boat is what is.

Last edited by simplej; 02-27-2013 at 8:41 AM.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-27-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
bwahahahaha i need a G18
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 9:03 AM Reply   
Now I know for a fact that the LONRanger is the reincarnation of TroyD.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
I just don't think that there is much of a market for a G18. It's just too damn small.
Attached Images

Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-27-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
hahahahaha man I wish I was as good at editing photos as you guys
Old    9Drozd            02-27-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
Once again, Chatt FTW. lol. I wish I had all the insider information you do. Those new model Gs are going to revolutionize the sport.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-27-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
G24, G22, G20, G18..you guys are killing me.

Op here's my thing. I know for a fact they are making the 230 right now. If your brother is looking for a boat they are certainly making them for 2013. No one can say what the future holds 100% The president could tell some nameless poster on WW they weren't and the boat could still be discontinued. Bottom line is no one knows for sure. Wouldn't be the first time a company said it's not going away and then it did. Happens every model year, a model certain people love gets dropped and said people think it's the worst decision XYZ company ever made. The 230's future will probably have alot to do with how the sales hold after the G series is around for a few years. Thing is if he is looking for a boat now, they are making them now. Why does it matter if they are 5 years from now?