Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (swatkinz)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-17-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
I'm thinking I might try a Supra when I get another boat in a couple of years, but I had some questions I hope some of you could answer. BTW, if I bought today, it would be either the 20SSV or 22SSV.
1. Since Supra uses bags for the ballast, are there ballast gauges on the dash or do you watch for overflow to determine when full?
2. If you load a bag on either side of the motor, do you still have ample storage? Are the bags not prone to puncture?
3. Does Supra not have its own cruise control? Do all of the Supras use PP?
Old    pdxWAKE            08-17-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Steve,
Both great boats.... if you are planning on loading lots of extra weight the 22 will allow you to add it cause of the play pen and still have storage. You can put a huge sac (1150 lbs) in there later if you want to upgrade. Still a little space for storage. The 20 has a walk through so you are limited on how much extra weight you can put in there. You can still put 650lbs or 750lbs bags by the engines and still have room for your vests in there too. With your stock bags you will still have tons of storage. I think you hit on exactly the best part about supras and actually having bags. Everyone dogs that they still use bags, but the reality is I can load 2350 lbs of ballast in my boat with the flip of a switch and still keep it all totally hidden. You can easily upgrade your bags later if you want to, like we have. Every other one of our friends that have below deck ballast tanks are sitting at outside of the launch and pulling out fat sacs and filling them manually to pull on that much more weight over stock.
I have never heard of anyone puncturing a bag. They are thick thick stuff....
When the bags are full the ballast will start spitting out the sides. Pretty easy to see and hear.
Supra uses PP as their standard cruise and is proven technology as most boats are running PP.

Good luck
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-17-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
yes supra still uses bags and it can be a drag that they are not hard tanks but like diggs stated you can upgrade to larger bags however, the 22ssv with the stock ballast has the best wake i have ever ridden. with only the stock ballast every other boat with that ammount of weight is not even in comparison to the supra wake
Old     (cptsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-18-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
The 2009 ballast automatically shuts off when full. And the other feature for 2009 that I wish my 2008 21V had is the dedicated intake pumps for each bag instead of the input manifold. Yes they use PP. And the second question, I would think is really a matter of preference. I however, cannot comment as I have no experience with the hard tanks.
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-18-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
I run bags in my boat and prefer them over tanks. When I go upto powell for a week the bags can store easily and allow for all of the camping gear to be stored under the seats and out of the way.
Old     (swatkinz)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-20-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
thanks for the input ya'll. Current 20ft. boat has the hard below deck tanks which work well, though I do keep a vdrive sack on the port side for surfing. I'm not an advanced wakeboarder so I rarely fill my front ballast. I'll admit it is a PITA to manually fill the fat sack. So much so that I'm thinknig of plumbing it into the factory system.

Still a little confused as to filling the tanks. So on the 2009, there's an auto shut off when the ballast is full. What about pre 2009, what if you only want the bag half full?
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-21-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Just gotta keep an eye on it, front sac is easily seen from the drivers seat and the other two aren't too hard to see, just open the hatches...