Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-04-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
I'd like to get opinions in this area. I've been using Vimeo to put up videos on WakeWorld lately, but I notice that when I browse using my iPhone, I can't play the videos. I also notice that I can't view videos that use any kind of Flash player (Alliance, WBM). However, I can view if I embed using YouTube instead because iPhone supports that, so I've been thinking about switching which service I use to host my videos.

What videos (if any) play on other mobile devices while browsing the web? Do you view videos on your mobile device? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-04-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quicktime vids work on the iphone, depending on how you host them. not sure how the berrics does it, but they just got an iphone app and they host with quicktime. A lot better quality than youtube.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-04-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
If you're using an app, that's a whole different ball game. We will not be using an app in the near future, so I'd like to make the website as compatible as possible with mobile devices.

I'm particularly interested in web browsing. If I go to theberrics.com via my browser on my iPhone, I cannot play their videos because they use a Flash player.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-05-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
for the iphone, it has to be either quicktime or youtube. nothing else works. if you could post a youtube version when you post your videos, that would be amazing!!
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-05-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
ive only gotten youtube to work on my blackberry.
but i like the vimeo alot, and id rather you keep using that and just watch the vids on my computer.
they look better that way anyway.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
^^^ This. I would personally rather see good quality videos on a computer than have the ability to watch lousy videos on my phone.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-05-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
What's wrong with the quality on YouTube? I was under the impression the their new HD service is pretty good.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-05-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
vimeo is way less distracting.
youtube has way too much going on (i.e. adds and little pop ups on the videos)
vimeo = more professional IMO.
Old    thebiggmann            11-05-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
Any video service who's website utilizes flash will not work on most phones. There are a few that are working on developing flash support but they aren't really here yet I don't believe.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
I was always under the impression that Vimeo's encoding process was much better, but YouTube may have stepped their game up. Apart from that, YouTube just has a bunch of annoying ads and retarded comments.

If I want to see a video about leprechauns in Alabama or watch a newscaster get pooped on by a bird, I'll go to YouTube. If I want to see a legit, high quality video, I'll go to Vimeo.
Old     (chuckbutta)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-05-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
You tube has just as good if not better HD service than vimeo now a days. If you follow their encoding guidelines videos looks great. I agree its more commerical with lots of crap and what not. But HD youtube videos looks great on iphones. Basically render @720 30p and ur all set.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2009, 4:36 AM Reply   
The new YouTube HD is every bit as good as vimeo and it loads faster 100%. The ONLY issue you will run into with YouTube is removing songs after the video has too many hits. Vimeo has actually been verrrrry choppy for me lately. I think they are reaching the peak of their bandwidth.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-06-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
Here's a direct comparison of the two. I uploaded both of these videos from the same source file. Let me know if you can tell a difference...

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2518
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-06-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
Nice...I stand corrected. Those both look really good. I guess YouTube has changed things up since the last time I tried to upload anything. And if you're just embedding stuff for the most part, I assume you won't have to worry about ads and comments and stuff.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-06-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
the only difference I noticed was that the youtube video loaded faster... Both look real nice.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-06-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
From my PC the Vimeo one loaded a ton faster.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
my work blocks youtube and vimeo so I'm outta luck either way I guess.