Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-12-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
I've got two acquaintances that each have a ski boat (one's a Mastercraft, the other is a Nautique). The boats were purchased with cruising and skiing in mind. However, both families now have teenage sons that are very into wakeboarding. According to the adults, the kids put between 1500 - 2000 lbs of fat sacs in the boats to get some very good wakes. However, after 2 seasons of doing this, both boats are experiencing engine and transmission problems. They both believe that their ski boats' gearing is more in tune with speed versus being a tractor (like a wakeboard boat loaded down), and that the heavy duty pulling is damaging their boats. So, given that many people post about buying ski boats and weighing them down for wakeboarding, is there really any appreciable difference in the transmissions and engine specs for a wakeboard boat versus a ski boat? To me, it would make sense that the gearing would tend to be different. Any thoughts?? BTW, both families are now looking to replace their ski boats with true wakeboard boats.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-12-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
you would have to get the details for any of us to give any good opinions or facts. It all depends on the model of the boat. Say for instance it is a MC prostar 205 without a tower. Depending on the year, it could be the exact same setup as the MC x-star, engine, tranny etc. Get some details about the model of boat, year, engine and weather or not they are running a powerslot tranny in them. There are some people here that will give you all the info you need. Just off the hip, I would say the engine and tranny in their boats is the same as in that manufactures wakeboard boats for that specific year. There are not that many options for engine and trannys with Nautique and MC regardless if you are going to ski or board. One other thing, ski and wakeboard boats are made to be tractors, not for speed. Pulling up a water skier puts more stress on the engine and tranny then pulling up a wakeboarder
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-12-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
The only damage I know of was created by extra weight carried on the trailer, not in the water. The same engine, transmission, running grear, stinger system, etc is used. The one exception is the V-drive. However, V-drives were around before wakeboarding use. I don't think it is an issue.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
I don't think there is a difference between the two types of boats. But running 1500 to 2000 extra pounds in a boat can't be the best thing for it. The more weight the more strain and the harder everything has to work. That goes for ski or wakeboard boats. But what the h*ll we all do it. What ya gonna do?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-12-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
Perhaps it's the prop that needs to be changed and not the boat? I have a '96 Ski Nautique that I wakeboard behind. This boat was made with skiing in mind and therefore it came with a propeller made for that application.

When trying to get out of the hole with 1000 lbs of weight with a 3 blade 17 pitch prop my boat struggled. I went to a 4 blade 16 pitch prop and now my boat jumps out of the hole with no problem. I've since increased my ballast to 1600 lbs and the engine does not stuggle at all.

I've also heard that if you are pulling with a lot of weight in the boat you should change the fluids more frequently than if you ran with no weight at all. Was the maintanence kept up with these boats?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       08-12-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
Same idea as putting 2000lbs of rock in the back of your 2wd tacoma. It wasn't designed for heavy loads, but if you were to put it in the back of a diesel F350 you wouldn't even know it was there.

The F350 will also have a lot less problems as it was designed for heavy loads. Ski boats aren't. Arnet they supposed to be able to go like 40?

I have a 2001 and put about 1000? in it, figured the 16 year old tranny wouldn't like it but we also repropped it to deal with the load better.

If you have the money, buy a new wakeboard boat, if you don't mind riding behind an old ski boat with the same if not better wake the get an old ski boat. I love the wake of my 2001, my buddy's got a new X9 and I am not really keen on riding behind it.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-12-2004, 5:05 PM Reply   
I ran a '99 Malibu Response LX weighted to the max (1800 + wedge) for 4 years. No drive train problems at all. The problem is not the load, it's with the care taken when driving and performing maintenance to the boat.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       08-12-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
Luke--not keen on riding behind it!! so i guess we will take your boat this weekend, you seem to be happy (sorry keen)of chilling and drinking all my Corona...you are just mad cause the chicks dig me and my ride!!!

P.S. X9 is a ski boat...prostar 209 with a tower and ballest

My take on all this. Extra weight is harder on anything, be it your boat, truck or the fat chick Luke dated in high school...IMO wakesurfing is by far one of the hardest things on your drivetrain!! and yes 2000 LBS with a stock prop is hard on it also...in example..towing+lifted truck+stock gears=short drivetrain life

(Message edited by macdaddy on August 12, 2004)

(Message edited by macdaddy on August 12, 2004)