Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-20-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
...I'd kick your ass"

Please tell me others on here watched the Mayweather Ortiz fight. Cheap shots by both of them and then classless Mayweather ripping on 80 year old Larry Merchant. Luckily Merchant comes back with the greatest post-fight interview comment ever.

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-20-2011, 9:31 PM Reply   
i'd agree with mayweather, the dude can't even put together complete comments, and analyzes/comments against him all the time. Even Madden realized it was time to throw in the towel.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-21-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
I watched it and thought it was hilarious! I called the round that I thought Mayweather would knock Ortiz down. I see both sides to the outcome, Ortiz didn't have his guard up and Mayweather took advantage of the opportunity. Once he got headbutted he was all business! He wasn't playing around. Ortiz should have paid attention, but a lousy fight and win nonetheless.

Sent with my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typos.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-21-2011, 7:23 AM Reply   
I can't stand Mayweather!
I look forward to the day that the Pacman destroys him. That is, if Mayweather will take the fight
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-21-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
I watched this fight and it reminded me of why I dont watch boxing. Im surprised boxing is even still a big event with the advent of the UFC.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-21-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
Both Ortiz and Mayweather got cheap shots in. There is no arguing that, but watch the above video as well as the post fight interviews by both fighters. While Mayweather runs his mouth about how he's the greatest and how much money he makes, Ortiz humbly admits his cheap shot and apologizes to Mayweather. Im not in either fighter's corner, but it upsets me to see such arrogance from people that are overpaid for one... and two, looked up to by kids. I mean, what kind of message is Mayweather sending to his fans and viewers? That acting like a jackass and disrespecting an 80 year old man in front of millions of people is acceptable? That's real class bro.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-21-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
Merchant is a drunken buffoon.
Mayweather is a classless ahole, who has been ducking the best until they are much older.
Ortiz is a punk, who will never be mature enough in the ring to handle a big fight.

I dont recall mayweather throwing any cheap shots during the fight. When ortiz hugged and kissed him duringnthe fight, that showed me he was either scared, or had way too much respect fornthe guy he was trying to beat. Pathetic fight at best. Still would rather watch boxing over ufc though.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-21-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
Heres what it comes down to. Dont headbutt mayweather and that never happens. If the ref was doing his job it wouldnt have happened. If you didnt try to hug your opponent 9 times after a cheap shot this wouldnt have happened.

While mayweathers shot was cheap, it was legal and it was bound to happen. He dominated the entire fight, landing like 3 times as many punches as Ortiz did. Mayweather is the best fighter in boxing, period.

As for his comments after the fight, typical mayweather. Him and merchant have never gotten along, thats been a long time coming.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-21-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
Train, what makes Victor Ortiz a punk? The head butt was definitely not his best move but what makes him a punk? I've had the privilege to meet Victor up at Naci (the lake) and he was as far from a punk as anyone I've ever met. Super cool guy and likes to wakeboard/wakesurf just like the rest of us.

Now the fight, that was hard for me to watch. I was yelling at the screen "stop apologizing, stop apologizing" and then, well we all saw what happened. All the comments I've seen have been similar to Eric's, Mayweather was dominating the fight. Personally I thought Ortiz had the 4th round won until the head butt. To me it looked like the next rounds (5-10) would have been epic. I thought it looked like Victor was getting used to what Mayweather was bringing and getting comfortable. With Vic, all it takes is one clean power shot and Mayweather would have not got up.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-21-2011, 12:20 PM Reply   
Stephan, his attitude and behavior make him a punk. I have seen him here in town quite a bit, and have listened to how he has treated those around him for a couple years now. Imo, he is a punk. I dont see him having a lasting career in this sport, especially since he has now basically given away 2 fights with his immature actions.
I hate pretty much everything about mayweather, and i dont see how what he did was cheap at all. The ref says to fight, you better have your hands up.