Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-08-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
So I ordered my Rev410s yesterday. I had planned on going with a pair of SYN2s to power but my dealer did not have any instock and suggested I go with another amp.

They are suggesting the RF t1000-4ad
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...?itemid=116206

They are saying it's way under rated and runs super cool and I would be able to run a single amp bridged for both speakers. I am not 100% sold though....
They installed all RF amps in my first install - In boats running off a T600-4 and the towers running off another t600-4 and then the 3 L5 subs off a T1500. Since I am running 3 pairs of inboats we sometimes have an over heat issue on the inboat since one channel is at 2ohm..

I was also considering a pair of the JL HD750/1... Would be a tiny bit more but I think I would be assured more power to the speakers...
http://www.jlaudio.com/hd750-1-car-a...plifiers-98220

This will also leave me with a spare t600-4 no matter what which I could put on one of the subs I guess and split the 1500 between the remaining 2. Could split the interior up so I am not running 2ohm.. If I could find room add another pair of JLs and use that amp or ditch it and sell it.

Any other suggestions on the amp selection for the 410s though? I would like to get it figured out today/tomorrow I guess.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-08-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
Arc audio 300.2. Gives you the same 700w at 4 ohms bridged the syn 2 gives you. Lots of folks on here run them and love them.
Old     (WetSounds2)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
Cobra Rob,
Let me know what dealer doesn't have the SYN2's in stock. I would be happy to refer you to one who does.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-08-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
Locate the Syn2's or go with a single Syn4 (yes, I know, not enough power). Whatever you get, make sure and keep the boxes, and take good care of them cause when it comes out, the Sinister SD4 is gonna kill! Bridged @ 4ohms = 2 x 685W RMS!
Old     (bingbing)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-08-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
Zed Audio's Dreadnought Bridged 2 x 800w . It's a class D and the marine version sells for $818.

For the $ nothing comes close either in power or quality.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-08-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Exactly as I suspected.. A complete mess of no conclusion. haha

I am starting to lean towards the pair of JL HD750/1 though I think. If the new wetsound amps are that much of a beast, I think think I would have an easier time selling the JLs later if I wanted to upgrade when they come out.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-09-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbing View Post
Zed Audio's Dreadnought Bridged 2 x 800w . It's a class D and the marine version sells for $818.

For the $ nothing comes close either in power or quality.
I can second this... I've got a couple of Zed amps and they're amazing... There's nothing else on the market that comes even close in terms of sound quality, power, or warranty for the price.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-10-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Bendow, those PPI amps look like a friggin' killer deal. I think you just landed me on my golf cart amp. Thanks buddy!
No problem man! They're powerhouse little amps. It'd work out great on a golf cart. I picked up a P600.2 on sonicelectronics for $139 just because it was a good deal...now I'm looking for a project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozz View Post
I can second this... I've got a couple of Zed amps and they're amazing... There's nothing else on the market that comes even close in terms of sound quality, power, or warranty for the price.
Absolutely agree. I've recommended ZED amps to members before, but I think a lot of WW members not knowing much about audio stick with what they've heard of (marketing), not realizing ZED/Steve Mantz' have been the pioneers of mobile amplifiers for the past 30 years. Plus I think there's a lot of backdoor PM'ing, especially with Earmark trying to get that salesmen of the month parking spot.

The ZED Leviathan III is a monster 190 watts x 6 @ 4ohm, made in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRob View Post
Exactly as I suspected.. A complete mess of no conclusion. haha

I am starting to lean towards the pair of JL HD750/1 though I think. If the new wetsound amps are that much of a beast, I think think I would have an easier time selling the JLs later if I wanted to upgrade when they come out.
Don't like the PPI amp? You could always put a JL sticker on it...lol/jk.
If you can't find a SYN4, look at the other Zeff/Nikola clones UBUY sells, they're all the same design the built by the same buildhouse...the rest is marketing. Clarion APX490M is a marine version.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-08-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Your dealer is only going to suggest products they sell. I'm not saying the RF amp is a bad, but like everything else, you're paying for the name.

I replaced my 800w class A/B amp that was pushing 4 pairs of in boats because it would overheat after awhile. Most would consider replacing a $600 amp with a $200 amp a downgrade. It's a Precision Power P900.4. It powers 8 speakers full tilt all day long in the Texas heat and doesn't even break a sweat. Not once has it overheated...I couldn't believe it. It's also extremely small.

The PPI Phantoms, Soundstream Tarantula nanos, Hertz HDP's, and the new Polk PAD's all use the same board, and are essentially the same amp.

Read this thread comparing the PPI and the JL HD.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...i-phantom.html
Old    mojo            06-08-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
why not order your syn amps from wet sounds direct or call earmark marine? the new wet soudns HT amps are out. they are pretty awesome(i have no real world experience with them), and the sinisters should be available in august i believe.
www.wetsounds.com
www.earmarkmarine.com
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-10-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
why not order your syn amps from wet sounds direct or call earmark marine? the new wet soudns HT amps are out. they are pretty awesome(i have no real world experience with them), and the sinisters should be available in august i believe.
www.wetsounds.com
www.earmarkmarine.com
Quote:
i'm sure other amps are more than capable, but i'm running 2 pairs of in boats @ 2 ohms on ch. 1&2 of my syn 6 and then the bow speakers @ 4 ohms on ch 3&4. i have not ever had a syn amp over heat on me.
Quote:
Just saying, earmark has never tried to sell me anything. Even if I PM them. They simply offer advice or explanations. They are a valuable member of this site and others. (I'm in no way affiliated with earmark or wet sounds for that matter) they just happen to be better at quality and customer service than anyone in any industry out there. Id be dumbfounded to hear many people, if any, say otherwise.

Dude, I'm pretty sure you've made your point in this thread.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-08-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
I say power them with what you have now then when the New wetsounds Sinister amps hit the market pick up a SD 4 bridged for 680 watts RMS to each 410.I am running my 410's with a bridged Arc 300.4 and they are still stupid loud.Cant wait to see what they will do with one of the new Sinister amps
Old    mojo            06-08-2012, 4:15 PM Reply   
i'm sure other amps are more than capable, but i'm running 2 pairs of in boats @ 2 ohms on ch. 1&2 of my syn 6 and then the bow speakers @ 4 ohms on ch 3&4. i have not ever had a syn amp over heat on me.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-08-2012, 4:48 PM Reply   
Bendow, those PPI amps look like a friggin' killer deal. I think you just landed me on my golf cart amp. Thanks buddy!
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2012, 7:53 PM Reply   
I second the Phantom PPI amps. I am running a a P600.2 bridged to my IDQ12 sub and the P900.4 bridged to a pair of Rev10's. You cannot beat these amps for the money. Heck, even if they were double the price it would still be a deal. Here is a 3rd party review on the 900.4 - http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test...004-amplifier-

the 600 is only 6"x6.5" and the 900 is 6"x9"
Old    mojo            06-10-2012, 8:23 PM Reply   
Just saying, earmark has never tried to sell me anything. Even if I PM them. They simply offer advice or explanations. They are a valuable member of this site and others. (I'm in no way affiliated with earmark or wet sounds for that matter) they just happen to be better at quality and customer service than anyone in any industry out there. Id be dumbfounded to hear many people, if any, say otherwise.
Old    mojo            06-11-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
Agreed. There aren't any companies who's defense I'd come to off the top of my head besides these. Not nautique, not apple, not jl...Give ur wet sounds more than rms so the amps run efficiently.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-11-2012, 8:53 PM Reply   
I have an old school PPI amp sitting in the garage from an old truck install I am thinking 6600.2 or something like that..

With as much as we thrash the system for hours and hours, I am leaning towards getting a JL HD750/1 for each speaker. That should be more than enough power for them and should withstand abuse. It will also take up less room in the new amp rack I have to build.

I am going to stick with the RF 600.4 for the inboats I have a little squirrel fan I am going to run facing the heatsink so that should help it keep cool.. there is just no air movement in that compartment when the seats are closed.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-12-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Cool man...sounds like you got it figured out.

Would you sell that PPI amp?
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-12-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
Cool man...sounds like you got it figured out.

Would you sell that PPI amp?
When I get home I will take some pics figure out what model it is and let you know.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-12-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
I'm really happy with the syn 2's I'm using to power my rev410s. For what it's worth.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-12-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
I'm running a pair of arc 300.2's to my pair of 410's.
There are many good amps out there. Like ubuy, they are mostly all made by a hand full of build houses.
Mostly look for one a good rep will cut you a good deal on.
My local guys have arc along with many others and I chose it for the best specs and price.