Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-12-2014, 8:43 AM Reply   
Is it un-American for me to enjoy seeing someone else win the halfpipe in the Olympics? Shaun White is an amazing talent but lately he seems full of himself.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-12-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
I'm with you. The dude drops out of the X-games because he has to "focus on winning the Olympics." Then he drops out of the slopestyle event at the Olympics for the same reason. Then he doesn't even get on the podium!? I think I'm officially over Shaun White
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2014, 8:51 AM Reply   
I don't know if I'd call you "un-American" but I cannot see myself cheering for an athlete of any other country, to beat a USA athlete.....doesn't matter, they are there to represent their country, my country.....so I will hope everyone of our athletes medal!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
I always thought when you compete, you adapt to the conditions, not make up lame excuses. All that girl did was complain the entire time. What a panzy.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-12-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...5fb_story.html

read this and some of your opinions may change. The media is definitely out there saying a lot of stuff but id prefer to save my judgements until I actually have an interaction with the dude.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-12-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
Talk about an overreaction.

1. Everyone complained about the conditions of the half pipe.

2. Shaun has competed for a long time and is getting older. His run was bound to end eventually.

3. The guy trained harder for this olympics than any other one... Spent alot of time in and out of the hospital. Simply wasnt meant to be.

I have never been that big into Shaun White or snowboarding, but you all sound like clowns bashing him for not winning yet another Olympics.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
I never bashed him for not winning, just complaining and dropping slopestyle. The conditions were the same for everyone that completed.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
I thought it would have been cool to see him win a 3rd gold in the Olympics but Ipod deserved it. He's been on Shaun's heels a few times this year. I really wanted to see Danny Davis podium.

The whole bashing thing I don't get. Everyone feels like they really know him and you don't know S##t about him. Anyone that has been put in the position of fame will do the same thing. Most atheletes and celebraties have ego's. Fame will do that. You can bash Shaun all you want but besides the men on the pro level he is still better than any of you.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-12-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
Shaun White is a Douche.

If you need proof, watch Crash Reel

If you ever get to meet him you'll agree.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-12-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
I was more dissapointed in Danny Davis falling in nearly the same spot in the flats on both runs. I don't think the conditions of the pipe affected Shaun's runs THAT much. He under-rotated his YOLO flip and it threw off the rest of his run.

The conditions definitely sucked though. I think the comp would have been funner to watch given improved conditions.

Here is the thing I don't understand though, why do they allow all of these snow sports that have varying snow conditions, but they won't do Wakeboarding? Confused.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-12-2014, 10:49 AM Reply   
Was never my intention to bash Shaun White, the guy is easily top 5 most influential snowboarders ever. He's done a ton for the sport, but I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for him this go around.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-12-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
He had an hour long special about his training for a triple cork in his own pipe and didn't even throw it down in the Olympics (can't blame the guy, that sh*t looks crazy!). SW is getting his money however he can and some people call it selling out, I think the majority of people would do the same.
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-12-2014, 12:29 PM Reply   
Why is anyone bashing for not winning or dropping out of slope style? Dropping out seems like a decision that only he is able to make whether or not the terrain is worth the risk to his body, aka his career. As for not winning, he got beat, I am sure its not the first time nor the last. As far as I know, he has not been undefeated his entire career.

As for wakeboarding in the Olympics, I am torn. Yeah it would be cool, but I don't think there are any sports included that require a motorized vehicle and I kind of like that.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-12-2014, 12:31 PM Reply   
Look at you guys Bashing Shawn,I,ve known Shawn since he was 11 ,Da Cooolest Cat I know ,live down the street from me ...a when i run into him ,He give me MAX. Respect
When you get older ,you get chose yer,,,You don't have to Drop in to everything that comes your way...
you have NO Idea what it Like being in the spot light 24/7 and don't pretend You Do
Im Sooooo Proud of this Kid
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-12-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
Look at The Ego's these guys on W W have and thay only fix there kids lunch
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2014, 12:34 PM Reply   
speaking of halfpipe... it seemed like danny davis was getting way to much hype on that 180 nearly straight air thing the announcer kept saying was so technical. I dont know exactly what it was but i can respect a switch backside 180 as much as the next guy. His trick just seemed way to simple compared to what everyone else was doing. He received the same hype at the X games that seemed a bit much as well.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-12-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
I didn't see a Peyton Manning bashing thread after that killer Super Bowl,,,and hes getting payed to play in the Game
I stilll think You Get NO PRIZE $$$ of the Olympics ,,,Even the Gold metal not solid Gold ,just plated
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2014, 1:01 PM Reply   
In the US a gold medal gets $25,000, silver $15,000 and bronze $10,000
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2014, 1:40 PM Reply   
" Dropping out seems like a decision that only he is able to make whether or not the terrain is worth the risk to his body, aka his career."

He is there representing the USA, not himself.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-12-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
Who pays out the prize $$$ ? U.S. for there players
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2014, 2:24 PM Reply   
United States Olympic Committee
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-12-2014, 2:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
I didn't see a Peyton Manning bashing thread after that killer Super Bowl
Maybe not a thread on WW but there was on every sports website.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-12-2014, 3:07 PM Reply   
So the U.S.O.C. does ,,, But there never been prize $$$ not even the medals are real
Olympics is about Sprint and GoodWill
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-12-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
up intill about ,I think it was about 84 ,,,if you made $1 as an Athlete,,You could Not Compete in the Olympics
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-12-2014, 7:54 PM Reply   
I love the half pipe and was hoping Shaun would podium. But it's the Figure Skating Pairs that I find absolutely amazing. I can't believe they can get all the way through without a major mishap.
Old     (Ansorge10)      Join Date: Oct 2013       02-12-2014, 9:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeus17 View Post

As for wakeboarding in the Olympics, I am torn. Yeah it would be cool, but I don't think there are any sports included that require a motorized vehicle and I kind of like that.

They could do a cable park set up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2014, 10:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_moose View Post
Look at you guys Bashing Shawn,I,ve known Shawn since he was 11 ,Da Cooolest Cat I know ,live down the street from me ...a when i run into him ,He give me MAX. Respect
When you get older ,you get chose yer,,,You don't have to Drop in to everything that comes your way...
you have NO Idea what it Like being in the spot light 24/7 and don't pretend You Do
Im Sooooo Proud of this Kid
Everyone lives "down the street" from you when you live in a van right? Hell, I live down the street from you too. In northern Cali... Only 7 hours away from SD...

Last edited by markj; 02-12-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-13-2014, 7:56 AM Reply   
Never met Sean. He may not come off well in person as some have suggested. But I did like what this says about his public persona:

The other side

A pair of young cancer patients had come to Sochi from the United States to see White as part of the Make-a-Wish Foundation. A meeting with the snowboard legend was not part of the wish; just tickets to the halfpipe.

White was told about the kids after the qualifying round and spontaneously hopped a fan barrier to give them hugs and high fives. It’s a side of White, who had open-heart surgery as a kid, that rarely makes headlines. But he has granted several Make-a-Wish requests and makes an annual donation to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital believed to be in six figures.

“For me, that’s what it’s about,” White said. “It’s the fans who come here and watch … I had a tough night, but I think I affected a lot of people who have never seen the sport before and definitely some people like that kid.”
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...?#article-copy
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-13-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Just up Da 5 ,,,Brah,What times Dinner???
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-13-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
Andy,
that's an awesome story, but I think it's a very fine line for athletes/famous people when it comes to "Make-a-Wish". If they put it out for everyone to see then they will get a ton of requests and how does someone decide which "Make-a-Wish" to grant. That is probably why you don't hear about Shaun White doing this sort of thing. Lots of athletes like to keep that under wraps.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-13-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
SW is the KING of the pipe. Only reason he lost was because he scuffed the landing of the YOLO(due to the slow pipe). He doesn't get beat, he beats himself.
No one goes bigger or is more technical. PERIOD.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-13-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezyshots View Post
Shaun White is a Douche.

If you need proof, watch Crash Reel

If you ever get to meet him you'll agree.
Crash Reel is a little bit one sided and was created by the people that don't like Shaun and how he operates. Pretty easy to paint a picture when only one side gets the paint brushes.

This is a good interview about Shaun and his take on a lot of what is being discussed here.
http://www.snowboardermag.com/shaun-...nterview-2014/

No matter what you think about him as a person, his riding speaks for itself and the amplitude he brings is on another level. Unfortunately he wasn't able to adjust to the difficult conditions and lost. He's still a generational talent and deserving of everything that he has.